The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ucki
Guys, is that assumed knowledge material from a book or so? Or was it just made for BMAT specifically? Cause it looks pretty much like a book that you could buy. Would be sooo much easier - I hate this online version. Can't work with it unless on full screen. :x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just wondered if you might be able to help - have started last weekend practicing for this BMAT test and have skimmed over the biology section, using the guide. The info, while lots of it seemed relatively basic, even compared to A level notes I already made. While I haven't tried any practice papers, is this reflective of the true difficulty of the test?
Original post by HeyMickey6
Hey, does anyone know if we get a Periodic able in the BMAT Exam ?

No we don't get a Period table unfortunately.
Hey, how is everyone preparing for the BMAT essay? I just submitted an essay to my English teacher to mark and she gave me a 2.5A. :frown: The topic was whether Medicine is an art or a science. Does anyone have any useful advice? Any would be appreciated. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Hectors
Of course it is an amazing score, good enough for Oxbridge at least. Did you use any specific resources prior to this past paper to get such score?

I'm using the official book and the 400Q book but I just like doing past papers the most. I've done 3 so far.
Thanks though! I'm glad it's good :biggrin:
Hi does anyone have a link where I can access all the BMAT past papers?

& Any revision techniques?

& Any revision notes?

Thank you
Original post by SLastYear
Hi does anyone have a link where I can access all the BMAT past papers?

& Any revision techniques?

& Any revision notes?

Thank you

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/preparing-for-bmat/
There you go :smile:
Revise GCSE science and practice s1 through tsa papers and past papers
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/20356-past-paper-2010-section-1.pdf

Can someone help me with q5.

I don't understand what they did.
if I add up all the minutes it gives me 70mins for one batch, we need 6 batches in total so 70 x 6 = 420mins, divide that by 60 is 7hrs? But there is no answer option for that.

What have I done wrong here?

Also q18- I did area of card (33x24=79) divided by area of H (16+16+8=19.8) max is 19....again no option :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
How many questions do you need right out of 35 and 27 (section 2) to get a 6.0 and 7.0 in each section?
I keep getting 64% for this question since 100*0.8*0.8 = 64, but the answer is 65? Why?

Spoiler

Also I can't work out how to get the answer to this, it seems really easy so I'm probably just being silly :tongue: Answer is 60%.

Spoiler

Thank you :smile:
Original post by QuidditchFan
How many questions do you need right out of 35 and 27 (section 2) to get a 6.0 and 7.0 in each section?

this is a conversion chart i made.
each of the columns are from the official past paper mark schemes.
The average column shows the average BMAT score for a specific raw mark across the years 2009-2013.
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
I keep getting 64% for this question since 100*0.8*0.8 = 64, but the answer is 65? Why?

Spoiler

Also I can't work out how to get the answer to this, it seems really easy so I'm probably just being silly :tongue: Answer is 60%.

Spoiler

For Q13, I don't think you have taken into consideration that the glass that reflects of the second pane will reflect back onto the first pane, which will reflect back onto the second plane and 80% of that reflected light will pass through. This reflecting will technically take place infinitely, so in terms of calculations it would round to 65% overall.
Original post by skizzle
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/20356-past-paper-2010-section-1.pdf

Can someone help me with q5.

I don't understand what they did.
if I add up all the minutes it gives me 70mins for one batch, we need 6 batches in total so 70 x 6 = 420mins, divide that by 60 is 7hrs? But there is no answer option for that.

What have I done wrong here?

Also q18- I did area of card (33x24=79) divided by area of H (16+16+8=19.8) max is 19....again no option :frown:

Question 7: You didn't realise that she can prepare the next cake while the the first cake is in the oven. You need 40 minutes at first to prepare the cake, after than you have 25 min to prepare the second cake while the first one is in the oven, after that you have 5 more minute to let it cool, then 15 more min to finish preparing the second cake, then 25 minutes of preparing the third cake while the second one is in the oven and so on..., you will realise that it followed a pattern: from the 2nd cake onwards, each cycle takes 45 minutes, and the first one takes 70 minutes, so the total is 45*5 + 70 = 295 minutes, which is D

Question 18: you need to try to draw a diagram to try to fit in as many H in the space. Since you know that the H shape is very similar to a 8 times 8 square (boundary), you can use that pattern to construct the pattern; try to stack the H on top and in between the two H, therefore, you can have 8 H in 24* 18 space, then in another 24*15 space, you can fit another 7 H, therefore total of 15
Probably been asked 3 million times but anywhere good to practise Section 2 apart from past papers? The 400Q book is too outdated to use really
Original post by Hectors
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/preparing-for-bmat/
There you go :smile:
Revise GCSE science and practice s1 through tsa papers and past papers

Thanks for this!
Original post by BrokenS0ulz

Spoiler

Spoiler

The second question.... i am quite confused when i first look at it, but it is quite tricky...
So you have four items selling at the price of 3 items,and you have 20% profit, [if you have x as the selling price], so the unit price of each item is 3x times 0.8 divided by 4 = 2.5X, and now the selling price for four items is 4X, so you can use 4 / 2.5 which is 1.6

Question 1, you need to consider that there is also reflection in the gap, so tiny bit of the light will pass through..... but it is quite a bad explanation here... hope there will be better explanation out there..
Reply 794
Original post by migueln
Yeah, but there is a registration form that you can send to the test-center

Aaalright. :smile: I bet it's for those who live a bit away from the centre so that they don't have to go there, innit? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 795
Original post by topgear1987
Just wondered if you might be able to help - have started last weekend practicing for this BMAT test and have skimmed over the biology section, using the guide. The info, while lots of it seemed relatively basic, even compared to A level notes I already made. While I haven't tried any practice papers, is this reflective of the true difficulty of the test?

I'd love to know that as well. :biggrin: Haven't done any tests yet... just finishing UCAS and reading through the guide. :smile: It's pretty long -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tealover96
When I registered for the BMAT with my school I put down Imperial but now I've applied to BSMS and leeds...will it be okay? I thought that they automatically get our scores :s-smilie:

I honestly dont know.

If I were you I would contact the school ASAP, to see if there is a possibility of adding BSMS/Leeds.
As far as I know you need to put down all BMAT requiring universities you are applying to, (also confirm that with your school I could be wrong.)
If they say its not possible to add BSMS/Leeds, AND its definite that the scores wont be automatically sent to your choices, you will need to change those two options.
What ever you do, do it fast.
Original post by AlphaMariMo
I honestly dont know.

If I were you I would contact the school ASAP, to see if there is a possibility of adding BSMS/Leeds.
As far as I know you need to put down all BMAT requiring universities you are applying to, (also confirm that with your school I could be wrong.)
If they say its not possible to add BSMS/Leeds, AND its definite that the scores wont be automatically sent to your choices, you will need to change those two options.
What ever you do, do it fast.

Okay thanks...the BMAT website says that results go automatically to any institution that you've applied to but I'll talk to my school just in case.
Reply 798
Original post by tealover96
Okay thanks...the BMAT website says that results go automatically to any institution that you've applied to but I'll talk to my school just in case.

Just wondering... why did you give up on Imperial? :smile:
Original post by Ucki
Just wondering... why did you give up on Imperial? :smile:

I was looking at the stats of people who've gotten in before and they mostly have better predictions/ gcse results and all because my ukcat was low I can't be sure that my bmat will be high enough for imperial...Im taking risk applying to two bmat unis but as it's the first year for both of them, they will be more lenient and an average score should be enough! I just think I have a better chance at Leeds/BSMS :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending