The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TotalerReinfall
Does anyone ever actually manage to answer 35 questions properly in S1? Because I don't

yeah you have to be ruthless. If you don't see yourself getting a answer within ~2mins than you just have to move on
Original post by holatombola
Could anyone please help me with how to derive the answer to this question? :smile:

S1 2008, Q25:

In a particular country, there are two political parties, the Red Party and the Blue Party. Prior to last week's election, the Red Party had 2.5 times as many representatives as the Blue Party. The Red Party's lead has been reduced by 56 as a result of the General Election, but it now has 1.5 times as many representatives as the Blue Party. How many seats are there in parliament?

The answer is 245.

yeah I couldn't do this one either! Anyone have any ideas?
Original post by diseasedneckbeard
Just did the 2011 section 1 practice under timed conditions but with distractions etc. and got a 6.0. From what I gather, that is a decent score.

How is it possible to score 6.0 + with such ease, though?

For the 2011 exam cohort, candidates who got admitted at UCL averaged a 5.4 in section 1 and for Imperial, the cutoff to be put in the top priority group for interviews was (for section 1 only) 5.7. Aren't these figures a bit low?

When you actually sit the exam, the pressure will almost certainly get to you. As such, I would say that your score in the exam will be somewhat lower than your score in the practice papers. So it's not necessarily easy to get 6.0+!

That said, I actually think that doing practice papers under timed conditions with distractions is actually quite helpful. Having distractions is probably the closest way of simulating the pressure of sitting the exam. That's just my theory though!
Original post by drifter_skylight
Azurite is a mineral made up of a mixture of CuCO3 and Cu(OH)2.
Which one of the following is a possible formula of azurite?
A
Cu3CH4O4
B
Cu3CH4O5
C
Cu3CH4O6
D
Cu3C2H2O6
E
Cu3C2H2O7
F
Cu3C2H2O8

The correct answer is F. do we have to draw the compounds out to come to the answer?

No, there might be an easier method but I worked it out using oxidation states. Cu: +2, H: +1, O: -2 and C: +4. Then just see which one adds up to equal 0.
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
No, there might be an easier method but I worked it out using oxidation states. Cu: +2, H: +1, O: -2 and C: +4. Then just see which one adds up to equal 0.

I figured it out. just by elimination.
Original post by AnushkasHero

some kind of simultaneous equations?
Reply 986
how to solve chemical equations algebraically?
Could anyone please help me with how to derive the answer to this question? :smile:

S1 2008, Q25:

In a particular country, there are two political parties, the Red Party and the Blue Party. Prior to last week's election, the Red Party had 2.5 times as many representatives as the Blue Party. The Red Party's lead has been reduced by 56 as a result of the General Election, but it now has 1.5 times as many representatives as the Blue Party. How many seats are there in parliament?

The answer is 245.

Original post by drifter_skylight
some kind of simultaneous equations?

R= Red Party
B= Blue Party
T=Total Seats

R+B=T

They told us that R = 2.5B, so sub that into the equation.

2.5B + B = T which is 3.5B = T

Now a "Red Party's lead has been reduced by 56": means red party decreased by 28, and blue party increased by 28. As the total number of seats must remain the same. (You cant simply subtract 56 from the red party)

So

"New R" is: (R-28)
"New B" is: (B+28)

"New R" + "New B" = (R-28) + (B+28) = T

As they told us the "New R" is 1.5 times larger than the "New B"
So the "New R" = 1.5*(B+28) = 1.5B + 42

Substituting "New R" into previous equation gives: (1.5B + 42) + (B + 28) = 2.5B + 70 = T

Now make the two bold equations equal to each other, as they both equal to T

3.5B = 2.5B +70

Solving gives B=70

We know R = 2.5B = 2.5*70 = 175

R + B = 70 + 175 = 245
(edited 9 years ago)
Any tips for section 2? Finding the timing quite hard and it makes me panic! Aiming for a high score.
Does anyone have any exemplar/5A Bmat essays?

xxx
Original post by AlphaMariMo
R= Red Party
B= Blue Party
T=Total Seats

R+B=T

They told us that R = 2.5B, so sub that into the equation.

2.5B + B = T which is 3.5B = T

Now a "Red Party's lead has been reduced by 56": means red party decreased by 28, and blue party increased by 28. As the total number of seats must remain the same. (You cant simply subtract 56 from the red party)

So

"New R" is: (R-28)
"New B" is: (B+28)

"New R" + "New B" = (R-28) + (B+28) = T

As they told us the "New R" is 1.5 times larger than the "New B"
So the "New R" = 1.5*(B+28) = 1.5B + 42

Substituting "New R" into previous equation gives: (1.5B + 42) + (B + 28) = 2.5B + 70 = T

Now make the two bold equations equal to each other, as they both equal to T

3.5B = 2.5B +70

Solving gives B=70

We know R = 2.5B = 2.5*70 = 175

R + B = 70 + 175 = 245

Thanks for that! I realise that my method would have worked hadn't I subtracted the 56 directly! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for that! I realise that my method would have worked hadn't I subtracted the 56 directly! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are welcome:biggrin:
Original post by radhikagulati
Does anyone have any exemplar/5A Bmat essays?

xxx

I'll send you mine after the exam xxx
Original post by Cath_y
The new sign for a local business contains two different sections. One of the sections will be produced from wood, while the other will be metal.
Metal is three times as expensive as wood.

The cost of metal needed for each sign is proportional to the diameter of the sign, while the cost of wood needed is proportional to the square of the diameter. If the diameter of the sign is doubled, then the total cost of the materials will be tripled.

What percentage (to the nearest 1%) of the sign is metal?

A 25%
B 33%
C 50%
D 67%
E 75%

Can someone help with this question please? I've spent ages trying to work it out but I think I'm just going about it the wrong way :frown:

Is the correct answer A? If yes, I can share my process of thought....
Do you believe that UKCAT preparation has helped you for the BMAT in any way?
yeah you have to be ruthless. If you don't see yourself getting a answer within ~2mins than you just have to move on

Sometimes it is worth staying on a question if needed when you know you can get the answer though, I tend to just guess the last 5 questions and I get 6s and 7s in this section. But yeah I should probably try and speed up
Original post by Cath_y
Yes!! Please do :tongue:

So, basically, you know the the price of metal is three times the price of wood. Express it as M=3W.
However, you don't know the proportion of M and W, so you would say that m+w=1 (m, being the proportion of metal, w being the proportion of wood).

As the diameter doubles, the price of M will double (2M), the price of W will quadruples(4W)(from the question), so the original price is wW+mM,
the new price is 4wW+2mM,
you can then establish an equation,
4wW+2mM= 3(wW+mM)
wW=Mm
and since M=3W,
wW=3Wm
w=3m (cancellingW)

because m+w=1, for every w, there are 3m, so w must be 75% and m must be 25%!!!!

Oh dear, it takes me so long to write this out... my brain is hurting!! :frown:
hope it helpssssssss
Any advice is really helpful!! thanks in advance!!

Good surgeons should be encouraged to take on tough cases, not just safe, routine ones. Publishing an individual surgeon’s mortality rates may have the opposite effect.
Explain what this statement means. Argue to the contrary. To what extent do you think league tables should change a surgeon’s behavior?

The above statement implies that surgeons should have the duty to undertake tough cases in addition to the routine cases that usually have low mortality rates. In addition, individual surgeon’s mortality rates should not be published because this would deter excellent surgeons from taking on tough and hard cases which involve higher risk.

Contrary to the statement, there are reasons in which individual surgeon’s mortality rates should be published. It is quoted from the General Medical Guidelines that it is the doctor’s duty to try the best to treat all patients, regardless of the difficulty of the cases. Publishing the result will certainly encourage doctors to work harder to deliver better treatment in order to minimise the mortality rate and, therefore, preserve their reputation in the working place. In the short run, the effectiveness of the overall treatment will increase and patients will experience a higher satisfaction in their treatment.

However, publishing the league tables, will, to some extent, change a surgeon’s behavior. For example, a doctor will want to preserve his or her reputation by taking safe and routine cases only. The doctor will leave the risky cases alone because those cases will put the doctor into disadvantage in the league table. This type of act exactly contradicts the Hippocratic Oath, which states that all patients should be treated not be discriminated unfairly. In addition, publishing the league tables will, in a long run, impede the advance of medical treatment because less surgeons are willing to risk to take on tough cases and improve their surgical techniques and skills.

In conclusion, publishing the league tables may encourage the doctors to work harder to deliver first class treatment due to the existence of competition and reputation in the work place. On the contrary, it may have the opposite effect because it would deter good doctors from taking risky cases, since the mortality rate of those cases are significantly higher than that of the routine cases. A balance should be found between encouraging doctors to work harder and undertake tough cases in order to improve their technical skills.
So i was going through the Assumed knowledge guide as well as the Section 2 Spec, and NOTHING about the menstrual cycle comes up :biggrin: Does this mean that it wont come up in this years paper?
Original post by ucasunderdog
So i was going through the Assumed knowledge guide as well as the Section 2 Spec, and NOTHING about the menstrual cycle comes up :biggrin: Does this mean that it wont come up in this years paper?

Thankful it looks like it won't!
I go to a girls school and even we were never taught about it (yes you all needed to know that :P) so those past paper questions really confused me

Latest

Trending

Trending