The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

can someone please explain this to me i would be so grateful! thanks :smile:
Original post by AmberEyes
I think it's A? If you look at just the top left non overlapping section, you could repeat just that bit to make the rest of the pattern, so just look at that bit?

Yes, you're right!! Thank you!!
Original post by iwishiwasclever

As the current resistance in the resistors is 1000 ohms each, any drop in resistance (Say to... 900 ohms?) over then would mean more current would take that route as there is a lower resistance to the flow of electrons. Now all you have to figure out is which route would mean taking the central line across the ammeter! The only option which does this is option C.

I think it's r and q. Since I=V/R, to gain the highest current, you need the lowest resistance. Resistance is lower in a parallel circuit relative to a series circuit, and only C is a parallel circuit. I hope this helps!!
Btw, is there any easy way to calculate something like 2.74/137 (ie a decimal over a real number)?
Thanks.
Original post by MissMedical
Btw, is there any easy way to calculate something like 2.74/137 (ie a decimal over a real number)?
Thanks.

You could just do it like 274/137 = 2, but because it's 2.74 you would get 0.02 instead, since its 100 times smaller.
Original post by ΘTheta
Hi,

Why do you need to convert to m2?
Thanks!

hi, because you must always use SI units, m2 is the SI unit for area.
best way to plan for section 3?
Can someone please help me out with this

Claire walks to work at 6km/hr and Charles cycles along the same route. Normally Charles
overtakes Claire outside the public library. One day Claire leaves 20 minutes late and Charles
overtakes her outside the swimming pool, 3km before she gets to the library.
At what speed does Charles cycle?

A 9km/hr
B 12km/hr
C 15km/hr
D 18km/hr
E 24km/hr
Does anybody have any links/resources for Section 1 questions?
Apart from the official past papers?
Original post by sarasaeed97

Very conveniently, from an evolutionary standpoint, water freezes with its molecules
bonding to form a very open lattice. This unusual structure is such that the density of water
ice is less than that of liquid water, which is why ice floats, unlike other solids with tighter
structures such as iron. (An iron bar placed in molten iron will sink.) Where and when the
oceans freeze, ice forms a layer of insulation on the surface which holds in the heat of the
liquid below. Without this protection the seas would freeze solid, from the bottom up; and
life as we know it, which began in water, would not exist.
It is claimed in the passage that the unusual molecular structure of water ice is:
A a sufficient, but not necessary condition for life as we know it.
B a necessary, but not a sufficient condition for life as we know it.
C both a necessary and sufficient condition for life as we know it.
D neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for life as we know it.
why is C wrong?

Is the answer B?
It's not a sufficient condition as just because water freezes in such a way, you won't automatically achieve life. There are other factors which are NECESSARY for life. However, water MUST freeze this way in order for the opportunity - what I'm trying to say is that to get an A* in a subject, you MUST turn up for the exam (necessary condition). A sufficient condition would be that you have to also achieve >A grades etc in all your coursework.

I hope I've explained it okay, and let me know if I'm right
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey could someone please read and give feedback on my essay, I'm finding it really difficult answering these essay questions thanks.

Animals do not feel pain as we do.

In what way might ‘feel’ here have a different meaning from ‘sense’?
What kinds of experiments or observations might support such a view?
Advance an argument against the statement above. i.e. that animals feel pain of the same kind and extent as we do.

Humans might perceive that animals to only pain i.e. only being aware of the sensation and not realising that it is a hurtful one. Feeling pain is different as it instigates a more emotional and rapid response, while sensing pain would seem to lead to a more calm reaction.

The fact that animals aren’t able to communicate with humans leads us to the assumption that the pain they are experiencing might not be of the same type. How can one be sure what truly is being felt by an animal? A dog with lymphoma will not be able to tell us about the pain it’s experiencing; we would only be able to imagine what it is feeling through the symptoms that it is showing. In fact, dogs have evolved as predators and one of their behavioural habits is to not show pain, which explains why sometimes we aren’t aware that they might be experiencing pain. Furthermore it becomes more difficult to identify the type of pain when considering the simpler organisms such as insects as their structural anatomy is so different compared to ours.

It is evident however, that animals do go through pain which is similar to ours. This is because animals contain the same type of nociceptors (peripheral nerve fibres) which become activated when we are exposed to a damaging stimuli. Putting alcohol on a cut will therefore have the same magnitude of pain in humans and animals. Moreover, animals are subject to psychological pain to the same extent if not more as us. There have been several cases where dogs were found resting on their owners’ graves after they passed away. Dogs are not able to communicate their feelings, but from their behaviour we can safely deduce that they are suffering from an emotional experience.

Although we do not have the ability exchange feelings with animals, and that sometimes, it appears that what animals experience might not be the same sort of sensation we would have. Animals do have the same features of the nervous system and their behaviour proves that they do feel pain as well as sense it.
Original post by sarasaeed97
INFO AND TABLE :s-smilie:tamp duty is a tax paid when buying a house, and varies depending on the price. Tax at the
appropriate rate is paid on the total price of the house.
The current structure of the tax is as follows:
Price of house Tax paid (as a percentage
on the total price)
£0 to £119 999 0%
£120 000 to £249 999 1%
£250,000 to £499 999 3%
Over £500 000 4%
So, for example, if a house is bought at £200 000, the buyer has to pay 1% of the total price
or £2 000 in stamp duty.

THE ACTUAL Q :A buyer and vendor have agreed on a price of £260 000 for a house sale. In order to cheat
the taxman, they come to an agreement that the official purchase price will be disclosed as
£249 999 and the buyer will pay the vendor the remaining £10 001 and an extra £2 000 for
agreeing to the arrangement in cash for ‘fixtures and fittings’. How much will the buyer
save by this means?

ans 3300

Ok so by pricing the house at £249999 taxman has managed to get the house into the 1% stamp duty band. 1% of £249999 is £2499.99. For the services of clever taxman, a fee of £2000 is given so overall this scheme costs the buyer £4499.99. If the house was in the 3% stamp duty band then 3% of £260000 would be paid which is £7800 (taxman devices not used).Therefore the money saved by using taxman is 7800-4500 which is £3300 :smile: Oh and you can round because the question says to the nearest pound
(edited 9 years ago)

any help would be appreciated, can anyone please help? :s-smilie:
thank you! :smile:
Help please?

In a particular country there are two political parties, the Red Party and the Blue Party. Prior to
last week's General Election the Red Party had times as many representatives in the
parliament as the Blue Party. The Red Party's lead has been reduced by 56 as a result of the
General Election, but it now has times as many representatives as the Blue Party.

How many seats are there in the parliament?

any help would be appreciated, can anyone please help? :s-smilie:
thank you! :smile:

Is the answer C?
Is it 50%?? That's a a confusing question! :'(
Original post by skizzle
Is the answer C?

I got C as well from just doing Rr vs Rr = RR, Rr, Rr and rr
Original post by skizzle
Is the answer C?

no its D?
i have no idea how to get it
Anyone here applying to Leeds for medicine?

Latest

Trending

Trending