The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissMedical
You have to take background radiation into account (this is the reading in detector 2). So 220-20=200 divide by 2 to get 100 then add 20 on order to include BR. It's then around 2.4. It must be beta because alpha can't penetrate that far in air.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok! Thank you!!:smile:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1414574747.833262.jpgguys, why is the answer 200 and not 400? Here's my working. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You used the wrong suvat
Basically:
U=10, v=0, s=20, a=? So v^2=u^2+2as
And then sub in a into F=ma to get the force
Original post by Ucki
Is it not just the convention? Cause current - electrons - must be in real life flowing in the opposite direction.

Yup. :smile: Electrons travel from the negative to positive terminal, whilst current travels from positive to negative.

Original post by sarasaeed97
is it cuz protease and lipase are both in the stomach

So are carbohydrase enzymes. :tongue:

It's because protease and lipase enzymes break down proteins/lipids into acidic things (fatty acids and amino acids), causing the pH to decrease.
Can anyone explain this question to me

Q23 2009 S1 http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/Images/20364-past-paper-2009-section-1.pdf

The answer is apparently E
Original post by sarahfrost97

Q23 2009 S1 http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/Images/20364-past-paper-2009-section-1.pdf

It says the last digit makes the sum of all eight digits a multiple of 10. When you add them all together for option E, you get 31. So that 4 cannot be correct as it would have to be 3 in order to make the sum of everything a multiple of 10.

There may be a better method but...

It's the 294th year since the scheme was started. This is equal to 294/12 = 24 years and 6 months, where month 1 would be June. Therefore, the sample should have been taken in November. November doesn't have 31 days though, so that can't be right.
(edited 9 years ago)
You used the wrong suvat
Basically:
U=10, v=0, s=20, a=? So v^2=u^2+2as
And then sub in a into F=ma to get the force

But can't you calculate the time from the distance and the speed?
Original post by imedico10
Lets say you're on the negative y axis at a point
say P, the windmill is on the positive x axis at a
point, say, W, and you walk north 5km along the y axis
to a point say S, and lets call the origin, O.
Then angle P is θ, and < OSW is
< OSW is also an exterior angle of triangle PSW and is
equal to the sum of the other two interior angles.
< PSW = 180 -
<SWP = 180 - (180 - 2θ) - θ = θ
So triangle PSW is an isosceles triangle. And if we drop
a perpendicular form S to PW it meeting PW in D,
it divides triangle PSW into two congruent right triangles.
Thus PD = 5 cosθ and DW is also 5 cos θ.
So PW = 10 cosθ

Thanks a lot! :biggrin:
So PW was the first measurement the student made. Right?
Thanks again!:biggrin:
But can't you calculate the time from the distance and the speed?

You have calculated the time it would take to travel 20 metres at a constant speed of 10 m/s, the speed isn't constant because they are braking, so that time is wrong.

could someone help me on this question and how should i approach it (answer is C btw)
(edited 9 years ago)
Can someone help me?

At 200 °C, potassium hydrogencarbonate decomposes according to the following equation.
3 2 3 2 2 2KHCO K CO +H O+CO
What is the loss in mass when 50.0 g of potassium hydrogencarbonate are heated at
200 °C to constant mass?
( A : H 1; C 12; O 16; K 39 r = = = = )
A 11.0g
B 15.5g
C 22.0g
D 31.0g
And this please?

Don't normally get stuck but I just can't get the right answer for this - can anyone help? :/

could someone help me on this question please?
Original post by itsallokay

could someone help me on this question please?

I'm really stuck - I keep getting B but the answer scheme says D?? :confused:
Original post by AmberEyes
I'm really stuck - I keep getting B but the answer scheme says D?? :confused:

i normally can visualise the solutions to these question (if you know what i mean) relatively quick but just can't get my head around this one
Original post by itsallokay
i normally can visualise the solutions to these question (if you know what i mean) relatively quick but just can't get my head around this one

I know - I did it kinda quickly and got B, now I've spent a while trying different methods and I'm still getting that. I don't understand how reducing your costs by 1/4 could increase your profits that much - maybe it's a mistype?
Hi guys, I think I've got this one sorted, here's my reasoning...
if we plug in some numbers I think it's easier to get your head around what's going on. Say she sells the four packs for £24, then they sell for £6 each, and given that she makes a profit of 20%, they cost £5 each. (6/5 gives 1.2 - 20% profit)
When she sells 3 packs for £24, they sell for £8 each (just 24/3), but the cost stays the same, at £5. Dividing 8 by 5 gives you 1.6, so 8 is 160% of the cost, ie a 60% profit.
Original post by Seventeen
Answers are 11C 12C 16C 17E and 19B

Solution: 11. Radon 219 has 86 protons(as given), in a single alpha decay 2 protons and 2 neutrons are lost, therefore in 3 alpha decays 6 protons and 6 neutrons are lost. This means that the mass number has decreased by 12. and Proton number by 6. so the new element will have 219-12 mass number and 86-6 proton number. (207 80)

In a single beta decay, a neutron turns into a proton (ONLY). so the proton number will increase by 2 if there are 2 beta decays. so the final element is 207 82. which is C

Solution: 12. Generally to work out the new mean you need to work out how long the total race took( how long each person took) and divide it by the number of people that participated.

The total amount of time the first group of people took was 20x54= 1080 seconds. to find out the new mean; it is (1080+ PT)/20+P where PT is the total time the new group of people took. and they claim this is equal to 56.

so 1080+PT=56(20+P) rearranging this to make P the subject will give you 40/T-56 = P therefore the answer is C.

Solution 16. They told us that BC is parralel to DE therefore we can use the similar triangle theorem. The ratio of AB/AD is equivalent to BC/DE.
so AB=4 AD=AB+BD. BC=x DE=X+3. oh yh and BD is X-4
so im sure all that remains is simple rearranging, you will end up with a quadratic, take your positive value of X and plug it in DE=X+3.

you will end up with 9, the answer is also C.

Solution 19: Firstly understanding that acceleration is the gradient of a velocity time graph, so eliminate the bottom two graphs since their axis is displacement against time, now simply find the gradient of either graphs at any point. for Graph P 10/24 is definately not 2.4. so discard that. This leaves us with only Graph Q, the change of velocity which is (60-10)/20 will give us an answer around 2.4 so therefore Q is the graph. therefore answer is B.

Btw. Have you done any papers before 2009, if so did you find them any help? Or are the questions completely different?

Thank you for all the help! I started with the earliest paper (2003 i think) and just worked my way upwards for extra practice! I think they are useful :smile:

Sorry to be a major dumbass but i am still a little confused about qs 16! Haven't studied maths in such a long time
Everyone on here seems to be getting such high scores!!
I just did S1 and S2 2010 and got 5.2 in both
I'll be lucky to get over 5 in both sections...hopefully if everyone who's been getting 6+ get into oxbridge,ucl,imperial then I'll have a chance at leeds and bsms (yes, selfish but whatever)

Latest

Trending

Trending