The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography unit 4A 16/06/14

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iano101
A* was 50/60, the A last year was 45/60. Even scarier.

Oh god, that makes it worse :s-smilie: I read the wrong line in the table! Urrrggggghhhh :angry:
Reply 181
Original post by tomcrayston
3-4/8, i reckon mate though i wud be pretty happy with that 😊

Agh, that's so annoying, I just thought because it said 'Explain' instead of 'Evaluate' or 'Success' that I wouldn't need to evaluate the graphs I just needed to show/explain their effectiveness!! I've looked at mark schemes and they haven't said anything about arguing both sides, which gives me a bit of hope.
Original post by fortunaisland
It was 45/60 for an A* (90% UMS) last year (scary!)

Original post by iano101
A* was 50/60, the A last year was 45/60. Even scarier.

Oh my days whaaaaaaat
Reply 183
Original post by Donnerz
Agh, that's so annoying, I just thought because it said 'Explain' instead of 'Evaluate' or 'Success' that I wouldn't need to evaluate the graphs I just needed to show/explain their effectiveness!! I've looked at mark schemes and they haven't said anything about arguing both sides, which gives me a bit of hope.

I didn't talk about the negative things either as I thought the question just wanted how useful they were :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Original post by RMT
I didn't talk about the negative things either as I thought the question just wanted how useful they were :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither did I I'm sure in past mark schemes I've noticed that when they say usefulness they don't want negatives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
Original post by LucyQ
Neither did I I'm sure in past mark schemes I've noticed that when they say usefulness they don't want negatives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah when I read the question it didn't look like they wanted the negatives. I even sat there and thought about what they wanted so I hope I'm not wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 186
Original post by RMT
Yeah when I read the question it didn't look like they wanted the negatives. I even sat there and thought about what they wanted so I hope I'm not wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you talking about the last question (5b)? Anyway, if not, can anyone remember it's exact wording as I'm not sure if you had to write about positives and negatives for it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 187
Original post by LucyQ

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you could say how their usefulness is limited through negative aspects of the presentation technique.
Original post by Jinks_
I'm sure you could say how their usefulness is limited through negative aspects of the presentation technique.

I agree with Jinks.. (I'm guessing you're the guy off twitter too :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
did anyone use chi squared for the data analysis techniques question? was so stuck expected a stats question asking to work out a sum or something :/ what is chi squared even
Original post by notsure
did anyone use chi squared for the data analysis techniques question? was so stuck expected a stats question asking to work out a sum or something :/ what is chi squared even

Yes, I wrote about Chi-Squared, I struggled to write a lot for 12 marks! Did you not do any statistical testing on your fieldwork results?
Not sure how the one method of data analysis technique on section A was worded....but do you think i will get any marks from saying that i used spearmen's ranks because chi squared or Mann Whitney U were unsuitable (i gave reasons why and said what i cud have done to be able to use chi square, e.g. Could get expected data from studying a vegetated area on a slope without scree before comparing it to my data collected for the scree covered area to find significant difference).
Can anyone remember how question 3 (data analysis) was worded????? 😊😊
Not sure how the one method of data analysis technique on section A was worded....but do you think i will get any marks from saying that i used spearmen's ranks because chi squared or Mann Whitney U were unsuitable (i gave reasons why and said what i cud have done to be able to use chi square, e.g. Could get expected data from studying a vegetated area on a slope without scree before comparing it to my data collected for the scree covered area to find significant difference).

Yep spearmans rank is a form of statistical analysis, in other words you use it to analyse data to assess the strength and significance of a correlation between two variables :smile: I wrote about it too

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many marks do you think will be needed for a C/B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vogueegirl
How many marks do you think will be needed for a C/B?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A C grade is roughly 35/60 and a B is roughly 40/60, based on past exams but it could vary slightly
Original post by vogueegirl
Yep spearmans rank is a form of statistical analysis, in other words you use it to analyse data to assess the strength and significance of a correlation between two variables :smile: I wrote about it too

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my answer I put...

Spearman's rank was used rank distance along a belt transect against the number of species at each set distance.

I had 16 sample sites, giving enough data and data is ordinal so can be ranked.

[color="#000000"]Spearman's ranks was appropriate as it tests mathematic statistics.

I could have used a scattergraph and line of best fit to investigate correlation between distance and species richness. Spearman's mathematically can be used test the correlation.

Chi squared isn't suitable as we had no expected data - we could have got expected data by studying a vegetated area of the slope without scree, and comparing our scree covered area for a significant difference.

Mann Whitney U is not suitable either - wrong type of data and would only give a difference, rather than a continuous correlation.

What do you think? I dont think i have refered to my investigation enough...How many marks do you reckon???. I'd say 6-7/12, but it could be lower.
Original post by Lunation
A C grade is roughly 35/60 and a B is roughly 40/60, based on past exams but it could vary slightly

I have a feeling the grade boundaries may be higher than ever... maybe 41-42 for a B possibly. :frown:
I have a feeling the grade boundaries may be higher than ever... maybe 41-42 for a B possibly. :frown:

But with lack of January modules I think there's a good chance that grade boundaries won't be horrendously high!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daisystones
But with lack of January modules I think there's a good chance that grade boundaries won't be horrendously high!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, lets hope :smile: Fingers crossed :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending