The Student Room Group

Had my first lucid dream last night!

Scroll to see replies

TSR is one big lucid dream for me lol.

Well actually I don't really have any control... Maybe just a dream.

A nightmare.

Hell.
Original post by Pisces20
oh my goodness that sounds soo bad.. does this happen often?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Luckily it only happened to me once when I was trying to get into a lucid dream, that was also the last time I tried lucid dreaming :frown:

Think it can happen more often if you're waking up from a nightmare, but it's pretty rare.
Original post by yodawg321
There's been many times when I wake up and I'm completely paralysed and hear a loud buzz. I get no hallucinations and the only way I can wake is like screaming myself awake in my mind.

Oh this sounds all too familiar, it's a terrible experience and I'm petrified of falling asleep (I'm avoiding it as I type! I hallucinate and have been doing so ever since I was 6 years old, screaming makes things worse for me the only thing I can do is resist and wiggle my toe and that takes forever :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Guys how the **** can I get one of these please , do I need to buy a brownie of a dealer or something , what is it I am missing :confused:

They usually occur by chance, but they can be bought about in certain states, such as extreme physical tiredness despite being mentally invigorated (think close to deadlines).

Some people attempt to consciously produce lucid dreams, which is something I do not recommend as the odds are you'll usually end up with sleep paralysis. One possible way of 'preparing' for lucid dreams involves constantly 'testing reality'.

I know what you're thinking. What the hell does 'testing reality' mean? The concept centers around us being able to test commonly accepted norms in the 'awake' world. In the 'awake world' this norm is confirmed, so we know that we are awake. But dreams don't 'obey' the rules of the real world, because they take place in the subconsciousness of the mind. So if an individual who was dreaming happened to test reality in that dream and found that it was distorted, that individual would then realize that this is in fact a dream and not reality. They would then enter a 'lucid' dream.

Examples of reality testing can include-

Counting the digits on your hand
Reality- you should have 5
Dream - you may have more or less than 5

Checking your phone
Reality- you have an iPhone 4s
Dream- you have a Blackberry

Checking change
Reality- Only one side features the Queen's head
Dream- Both sides feature the Queen's head

Asking someone what time it is after checking it yourself (00:59 at the moment)
Reality- It's 00:59
Dream- It's 13:15

Checking the location of 'an object' you know of and are certain is in a specific location-
Reality- The item is where you thought it was
Dream- The item is not there, or is a different item

The other issue we have to bring up is, how likely are we to perform 'reality testing' in dreams? The answer? Not likely. But there are some who claim that if we 'constantly' test reality in the 'real / awake world' then we will also begin to test reality in our dreams, allowing us to differentiate between the two even when dreaming.

So an example would be...say I'm having a dream about walking the street at midnight to go to a friends house for a get together or something. In reality, I always check my phone constantly, and lets say I practiced reality testing by constantly counting my fingers while awake. I reach into my pocket to grab my phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy S3. Instead, I've just pulled out a green Nokia Lumia. I realise that this is indeed, not my phone. I begin to suspect that I am in a dream. I perform another reality test by counting my fingers, lets see, 5 on the right and....7 on the left!? I'm certain I must be in a dream now, and yet, I still continue to dream. I now have control over the course of the dream (theoretically), so I stride on over to a pretty girl, brimming with confidence and take her from behind without so much as asking for her name. She enjoys it so much that I win the Nobel prize for contributions to the female orgasm.

The dream ends, but I'm still conscious. Yet my body is still asleep. I can't move. I'm now basically trapped in my own body.

Freaky **** isn't it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
Happens to me always

I'm in a dream and I know its a dream when I'm in it
Reply 45
We need a "worst nightmares thread" but I can't be assed to start one.

..ANYWAY once I dreamt that I was being hunted around my house by two witches, and it was like some real James Wan ****, I was hiding under beds, in closets, gotta be the scariest thing I've ever experienced.
Guys how the **** can I get one of these please , do I need to buy a brownie of a dealer or something , what is it I am missing :confused:

There are ways you can train yourself to lucid dream, just Google it.

I've had one once, over a year ago. I remember seizing the opportunity to fly over the Thames by night.
Reply 47
Ah haha right.

I probably would conduct an experiment and deprive myself of sleep if it wasn't for the fact that I turn into a right bitch and look like gollum when I don't get my 8 hours :tongue:

I stayed awake for 4 days straight once, for a college art project :lol: No lucid dreams. I just felt really crap.

But even when i'm not doing it purposefully, I don't sleep much... and my sleep pattern is all over the place. I've never had a lucid dream though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
I've got a funny story about when I did too much laughing gas in Magaluf last year as well;

It was the last night of the holiday and the copious amounts of alcohol had already left me wrecked. Basically I went to sleep, but with one eye open all night long, wtf?! And (I imagine this was more a hallucination than a lucid dream) but I pictured us physically checking out of our hotel in vivid detail from waking up, getting ready, going downstairs, going to reception, then my alarm went and I realised none of that like hour-long sequence had happened, strangest night's sleep ever.
(edited 10 years ago)
This is so unfair. I really want one but I barely have regular dreams these days.

Any advice on how to have one???
Reply 50
Original post by Hippysnake
What I was trying to say is that people who attempt lucid dreaming consciously usually find themselves with sleep paralysis. Lucid dreaming isn't something that can usually be done consciously.

I've done it before, and haven't come anywhere close to sleep paralysis. If
You get sleep paralysis, you're doing it wrong.

Google some help on "WILD" techniques, or visit a forum specific to lucid dreaming, they'll show you how to do it.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest