Creative Writing Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Haha, why are my posts always so long?
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Original post by pavarotti

Haha! I think it's good - expressive :smile: (to have long posts)

I've realised that even though I've heard most songs by Bastille, I don't own them all - I know Flaws off by heart as it was one of the first songs I heard by them. I just like the style of their music and their lyrics are very meaningful and they tell a story - like Bad Blood (got the drum beginning in my head - love it!) My taste in music shifts from Dance, Electronic, Alternative, Indie Rock, Alternative Rock - that kind of spectrum. I love Sohn if anyone has heard of him. What genre would people class Sam Smith? Love his music too - I loved the entire of his In The Lonely Hour album apart from one song!

I feel like I have more to say, but at this moment in time, I cannot think, so I just hope everyone has a great day! :smile:
Reply 382
I'm currently listening to Bastille's Bad Blood album at full volume. I don't know how comprehensible this will be to everyone. I'm having to stop myself from screaming the lyrics. Anyone else a fan of this album?

@Chidori96 You might well get a musical education from me. I used to say that there was a song from every genre that I loved, except for anything electronic. I have since become obsessed with electronicy bands such as Bastille, and the 'electronic and industrial' Disparition (who do the music for the podcast Welcome to Night Vale). I've been brought up with music. I don't think I've ever had a Sunday morning where my dad hasn't been playing CDs on his hi-fi. Uni will be a change for me!

Societies - I'm not too sure about the Socially Awkward society. I think I'm already bad enough! And in risk of this turning into the "Bath Spa Creative Writing Pride", I'll be joining you in the LGBT* society, @Chidori and @Saidani. I'm in the * category (and I'm thankful that Bath Spa have that in their society name). More specifically, I'm the A. I think we're going to have a very colourful CW group! Oh, and @Saidani? You've already got a buddy for the Sign Language society. Hello! I love BSL. Oh, and @LittleInnocence, too. This tagging people is getting a bit ridiculous, methinks, as I'm tagging everyone in a single point!

@LittleInnocence I think that Bath Spa will be really good for helping you edit your work down. I don't even mean in just a grammatical way, but in helping you let go of some of the phrases that you may well love, but that something might be better without. I don't even know if that makes sense. Dan Smith is yelling "THIS IS YOUR HEART" in my ears. And it's glorious.

I didn't realise that religion would be such a talking point, but as some more of you have mentioned it, I guess it might be!

@LittleInnocence I did start laughing before you explained it. I have a feeling our humours are going to be very similar! (same page joke)

Results day - GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WHO IS WAITING ON RESULTS!

@Saidani I hope you're prepared for your grammar lessons from me :wink: No, seriously, I love grammar even more than I love the new lever arch folders I've just bought. And they're pretty awesome.

@Saidani We have to pick a certain number of... are they called points? So some are 20, others 40, etc. The base publishing points is 40. So we'll have less points to play around with on the CW side. God, does that make any sense at all? I am truly terrible for listening to loud music whilst typing. But I love it too much.

@maisyrees Hi :smile: I don't believe we've spoken yet? I'm Lu.

@Saidani It's my goal to end up in Starbucks! No, seriously, if I have to get a job during term, it'll be at Starbucks. Freaking love that place. And I see that was another topic of conversation(@sophie195 - also hi)? I think I'll be okay to start with, but might look for a job or something after Christmas? I've never really had a job before, and never been to uni before, so I'd rather only have one change at once.

@outlawbuck I agree, it's a degree. It shows employers you've worked at something for three years without giving up on it. And especially if you can make something of your dissertation. I've just read a book that was completed on someone's CW MA at Bath Spa.

@Saidani I've already started looking at cheap foldaway chairs. So, if it's muddy, I can still go and sit by the lake. I think we might have to find our place pretty soon, though, as I'm sure it'll be a popular spot!

@Chidori96 I've been looking at maps of the area to see if there are any good walks. There's a 'seven acre woods' a few miles away from campus. AA Milne, anyone? But we're lucky in that we have a cut-off campus only ten minutes from a bustling, old town.

The only long thing I've managed to finish is a fanfic. It felt really weird when it was done. I'd been working on it for well over a year, then suddenly it was done. But everything else I've been too scared of finishing. I'm really terrible :smile: Does anyone else have this problem?

@maisyrees Someone else who is obsessed with stationery! But Asia sounds awesome. Whereabouts are you going to go? Or are you going to tour all over?

@sophie195 I asked the people at accommodation, and the move date is 20th/21st September. You can arrive early if you've stated something in the disability section of the UCAS form (from 17th). Term starts a week after. I hope this helps!

@Saidani Book Barn sounds great. I'm up for that!

Okay, I think that's just about everything. I should turn off this deafeningly loud (but beautiful) music, and head to bed. Goodnight, guys!

I am very pleased at the mention of music. The past year or so has had me expand my music tastes so much, and I'll go from Brokencyde and Hollywood Undead to LIGHTS and a mainstream pop. I only know one song of Bastille-- Icarus, which I have used a lot for writing. Any recommendations for song of his other songs?

Whoo! We have a nice collection of the LGBTQA people going on here. :smile:

Oh bring it. If you're willing to give lessons, I'm there. Grammar is one of main goals for Uni, just getting it all down. (I am trying to resist getting new lever arch files and stationary, but I think I'll fail miserably. My love of stationary is just unrivalled. I'm going to be hopeless once Uni starts because it's an excuse to get new things.)

I have no clue how the points work, but I think that sounds about right? I'm sure we'll find out in week one, though, so I guess there's no point worrying about it now.
Folding chairs...very clear. I shall have to invest in one. Agreed, we can't be the only ones planning to go there a lot. I think day one we shall all have to scout out a place and put a flag there or something, claim some territory. :biggrin:

If there are any good walks around, that sounds like a nice way to spend some time during the summer/non-rainy days.

Cool, another one up for Book Barn! I'm pondering when the best time to arrange something would be? Any suggestions? Would it be best to do it before or after people move into halls?
Original post by Saidani
I am very pleased at the mention of music. The past year or so has had me expand my music tastes so much, and I'll go from Brokencyde and Hollywood Undead to LIGHTS and a mainstream pop. I only know one song of Bastille-- Icarus, which I have used a lot for writing. Any recommendations for song of his other songs?

Oh bring it. If you're willing to give lessons, I'm there. Grammar is one of main goals for Uni, just getting it all down. (I am trying to resist getting new lever arch files and stationary, but I think I'll fail miserably. My love of stationary is just unrivalled. I'm going to be hopeless once Uni starts because it's an excuse to get new things.)

I have no clue how the points work, but I think that sounds about right? I'm sure we'll find out in week one, though, so I guess there's no point worrying about it now.
Folding chairs...very clear. I shall have to invest in one. Agreed, we can't be the only ones planning to go there a lot. I think day one we shall all have to scout out a place and put a flag there or something, claim some territory. :biggrin:

If there are any good walks around, that sounds like a nice way to spend some time during the summer/non-rainy days.

Cool, another one up for Book Barn! I'm pondering when the best time to arrange something would be? Any suggestions? Would it be best to do it before or after people move into halls?

Bastille - any of their songs! XD
We shall have to gain some territory, won't we? maybe have like a Writer's Gazeebo (cant spell) or something where we can all meet! :O make t-shirts! (no, too excited, calm down...)
And the walks sound great too :smile:
I don't know what LGBTQA is - can someone explain that to me? :/
Reply 384
Original post by LittleInnocence
We shall have to gain some territory, won't we? maybe have like a Writer's Gazeebo (cant spell) or something where we can all meet! :O make t-shirts! (no, too excited, calm down...)

xD That narrows it down. I think I'll just get an album and hit shuffle.
Not too excited, just dedicated. I think a Writer's Gazebo sounds like a pretty cool place.
LGBTQA = Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer, Asexual. We do all love our acronyms...
Original post by Saidani

On the subject of music- I love Hollywood Undead! But my favourite band is System of a Down... Their music is so quirky.

It might be better to have us all meet after we move into halls. That way, we can get settled in and deal with everything beforehand. I know I won't be able to relax until everything is sorted. XD

Territory! Yes! That reminds me of school, where me and my friends claimed a certain area of the common room and it eventually became ours. Good times...
We MUST have t-shirts.

LGBTQA is the abbreviation for : Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and asexual. :cool:
EDIT: I just realised you've already been replied to on that! Woops. Oh well. Now you have two explanations. XD

Hi Lu :smile: I'm Maisy :smile: I don't believe we have spoken yet, but I've read all your messages, they're very long but you always have so much to say, its interesting to read it all!

My dad actually lives in South Korea (I used to when I was younger, but moved to a boarding school because the education is shocking), and I've just walked off a plane after spending two weeks there, so I plan to use that as a base. I've also lived in Shanghai, and been to Thailand, so I wanted to do Vietnam and Cambodia. I'm using Korea as my 'base' so i'll fly there and then fly to where ever I want to travel, for a month, then fly back to see my dad for a while, makes it easier as I have a home there!
Original post by Chidori96
Territory! Yes! That reminds me of school, where me and my friends claimed a certain area of the common room and it eventually became ours. Good times...
We MUST have t-shirts.

LGBTQA is the abbreviation for : Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and asexual. :cool:
EDIT: I just realised you've already been replied to on that! Woops. Oh well. Now you have two explanations. XD

OK thank-you @Saidani & @Chidori96 - now I know! I fall into none of the abbreviations, but I'm not against it in any way at all - you are your own person and it shouldn't be condemned by the media and society!

YAY T-shirts! What should they say on it? Bath Spa Creative Writing something! :smile:
OK thank-you @Saidani & @Chidori96 - now I know! I fall into none of the abbreviations, but I'm not against it in any way at all - you are your own person and it shouldn't be condemned by the media and society!

YAY T-shirts! What should they say on it? Bath Spa Creative Writing something! :smile:

Glad to have your full support! :biggrin:
The t-shirt thing needs to happen! For the t-shirts, maybe we should have something more catchy... But I lack the creativity at this time of night. It's been a stressful couple of days, as I'm sure it has been for everyone else waiting for results. :< Or maybe 'Bath Spa Creative Writing' is better because it is more professional?

@sophie195 I asked the people at accommodation, and the move date is 20th/21st September. You can arrive early if you've stated something in the disability section of the UCAS form (from 17th). Term starts a week after. I hope this helps!

Thank you so much!
Haha! I think it's good - expressive :smile: (to have long posts)

I've realised that even though I've heard most songs by Bastille, I don't own them all - I know Flaws off by heart as it was one of the first songs I heard by them. I just like the style of their music and their lyrics are very meaningful and they tell a story - like Bad Blood (got the drum beginning in my head - love it!) My taste in music shifts from Dance, Electronic, Alternative, Indie Rock, Alternative Rock - that kind of spectrum. I love Sohn if anyone has heard of him. What genre would people class Sam Smith? Love his music too - I loved the entire of his In The Lonely Hour album apart from one song!

I feel like I have more to say, but at this moment in time, I cannot think, so I just hope everyone has a great day! :smile:

Haha, thanks :biggrin:
Oh, I own very little music. I don't buy stuff through iTunes, so as a result if I want some music I have to go out and buy the CD. It is very effective for stopping me spending! But I do listen to a lot of stuff on YouTube. I definitely agree with you about the lyrics - fantastic. I haven't heard of Sohn or Sam Smith. I'll check them out tomorrow :smile: (after I get my results - yikes!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saidani

The stationery-off has started!

I think after will be best for Book Barn, or else everyone will have their bags and stuff. I don't know what day would be best, though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

LGBTQA stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, asexual. Some people say the Q stands for Questioning, which accepts more people into the community, but I think the queer does this anyway (even though I personally still see queer as an insult). Some people say the A stands for allies, but this isn't the case. A for asexual, allies for awareness. The traditional acronym is LGBT (and I get really annoyed when people say LGB), but at Bath the society is LGBT* with the asterisk afterwards to include the other groups. Now, bear with me a second... The longest acronym is LGBTQQIAAP. Mouthful? Just a bit. That's why we use the asterisk. Here, the I stands for intersex and the P for pansexual. Don't know what they mean? Google them :smile: This is a really good site if you do want to learn more: http://jilliancottle.com/hallelujah-its-raining-labels/ But the most important thing to remember is that people define themselves. If a guy has relationships only with girls but occasionally sleeps with men and he calls himself straight, that's fine, he's straight. Similarly, 'gay' can mean only a homosexual man to some people, whereas it covers the whole spectrum for others.
And here ends today's lesson :biggrin: I don't think you needed all that! But hey, it's good practise for September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maisyrees
Hi Lu :smile: I'm Maisy :smile: I don't believe we have spoken yet, but I've read all your messages, they're very long but you always have so much to say, its interesting to read it all!

My dad actually lives in South Korea (I used to when I was younger, but moved to a boarding school because the education is shocking), and I've just walked off a plane after spending two weeks there, so I plan to use that as a base. I've also lived in Shanghai, and been to Thailand, so I wanted to do Vietnam and Cambodia. I'm using Korea as my 'base' so i'll fly there and then fly to where ever I want to travel, for a month, then fly back to see my dad for a while, makes it easier as I have a home there!

Haha :biggrin: Yes, sorry! I shouldn't hide from the forum for so long! I could write shorter messages then! When I was younger, I'd always lose marks when writing because it took me forever. I could barely write a hundred words in an hour. Now I can churn out ten thousand in about three, if I know what I'm doing and I'm left alone with no distractions. Oh damn, and I'm really good at rambling!

Oh wow. I'm always so jealous of people who can travel. I need my own bed (that's going to be a problem when I go to uni...) and to know that I've not left anything behind. Travelling Asia sounds amazing, especially if you've got family to visit and use as a base.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chidori96
Glad to have your full support! :biggrin:
The t-shirt thing needs to happen! For the t-shirts, maybe we should have something more catchy... But I lack the creativity at this time of night. It's been a stressful couple of days, as I'm sure it has been for everyone else waiting for results. :< Or maybe 'Bath Spa Creative Writing' is better because it is more professional?

Give me a couple of days and I'm sure I'll come up with something suitably humorous and professional. Of maybe not :smile: I'll give it a go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whoop! Shorter messages! (There are a lot of them, but it's the thought that counts, right?)

GOOD LUCK to everyone who is getting results tomorrow. Come on at some point in the next couple of days to tell us how you did? I'm sure we'll also get an influx of new people who'll be starting to think about uni more seriously. Anyway, good luck!!

Now I'm off to hide my iPad so I don't know how I did until I'm holding an envelope in my hands. Goodnight and, once again, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whoop! Shorter messages! (There are a lot of them, but it's the thought that counts, right?)

GOOD LUCK to everyone who is getting results tomorrow. Come on at some point in the next couple of days to tell us how you did? I'm sure we'll also get an influx of new people who'll be starting to think about uni more seriously. Anyway, good luck!!

Now I'm off to hide my iPad so I don't know how I did until I'm holding an envelope in my hands. Goodnight and, once again, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not the size but the thought that counts. Indeed. ^_^

Thank you!!! I'm so nervous right now, I think my heart's going to beat out of my chest.
If all goes to plan, I'll be on here celebrating before the day is out.
If things don't, then I'll let you all know and wave goodbye. :<

Nooo, the purity of our forum shall be ruined! :wink: I'm joking of course. Our new folks will be welcomed with open arms. I love this thread so much because everyone's so friendly, and we all get along!

Anyway, I'm off to stay up another hour or so, then bed early so I can wake up and spam track tomorrow morning.

Good night, and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
Reply 398
The stationery-off has started!

I think after will be best for Book Barn, or else everyone will have their bags and stuff. I don't know what day would be best, though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No clue what day would be best, so I guess well see how the people moving into halls feel once they're actually there. I'm up for any day.

GOOD LUCK to everyone who is getting results tomorrow. I'm sure you'll all be fine, and if not call up the Uni because they still have spaces and you never know. Be sure to come on here and let us know how you all did. :smile:

And if any new people do come on here: greetings! We're all very friendly. We don't bite....just ramble on. xD
I GOT IN!!!!! I'm going to see y'all in September!!
I got A in maths, B in Theatre and C in Lit. Bath wanted B in Lit but they've let me in anyway. How kind of them :wink: I'd decided I wanted to see the results before I looked at track, so I was at school frozen, thinking I hadn't got in, that I'd have to spend the day on the phone, but I came home and Track said they'd accepted me. God, I'm so relieved!!

Anyway, good luck to everyone else still waiting on results. I hope I'll see you in September!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending