The Student Room Group

University Creative Writing- writer's block and no confidence

Hi, I am preparing a portfolio of creative writing for uni applications and with an entrance exam coming up for Aberystwyth, I seem to have chronic writer's block! I feel so embarrassed asking for feedback and just seem really stuck in a rut with getting ideas down that don't sound too complicated.

Any help with writing confidence would be much appreciated, how do you get good ideas on paper?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by dottiewriting
Hi, I am preparing a portfolio of creative writing for uni applications and with an entrance exam coming up for Aberystwyth, I seem to have chronic writer's block! I feel so embarrassed asking for feedback and just seem really stuck in a rut with getting ideas down that don't sound too complicated.

Any help with writing confidence would be much appreciated, how do you get good ideas on paper?

Hi @dottiewriting !

First of all, I think it's amazing that you are pursuing creative writing at Uni. It's very brave because it is a hard type of course to do and it's often very overlooked. Not to mention the pressures you put yourself under and battling with self doubt and writer's block.
I'm doing a creative writing degree right now and I completely get your pain. I've been in a block for about a month now. Or have I? One of the things my lecturers said to me was that even if I'm not writing pages upon pages, they are sure I'm still doing the work because I'm thinking of my works in progress and I'm jotting down ideas in my notes. Even that is writing and all part of the process. If you are in that stage, of just putting random ideas and sentences down, do not be worried. You ARE doing the work!
In terms of confidence, I think you can never really be 100% confident your idea is good. You should be open to constructive criticism. And this is where feedback comes in. It's incredibly important to share your work and hear it out loud possibly, being read by other people. I personally love the workshops and everything that comes out of it.
I wonder if you could maybe do some sort of workshop, maybe in you local area or organize something with your friends? Or if you are really shy about it, maybe just go and observe one of the workshops without participating, something may come up from that too?
In any case, I wish you all the best with your writing and keep the faith,
Milena 🙂
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk
Reply 2
Original post by University of Suffolk student
Hi @dottiewriting !

First of all, I think it's amazing that you are pursuing creative writing at Uni. It's very brave because it is a hard type of course to do and it's often very overlooked. Not to mention the pressures you put yourself under and battling with self doubt and writer's block.
I'm doing a creative writing degree right now and I completely get your pain. I've been in a block for about a month now. Or have I? One of the things my lecturers said to me was that even if I'm not writing pages upon pages, they are sure I'm still doing the work because I'm thinking of my works in progress and I'm jotting down ideas in my notes. Even that is writing and all part of the process. If you are in that stage, of just putting random ideas and sentences down, do not be worried. You ARE doing the work!
In terms of confidence, I think you can never really be 100% confident your idea is good. You should be open to constructive criticism. And this is where feedback comes in. It's incredibly important to share your work and hear it out loud possibly, being read by other people. I personally love the workshops and everything that comes out of it.
I wonder if you could maybe do some sort of workshop, maybe in you local area or organize something with your friends? Or if you are really shy about it, maybe just go and observe one of the workshops without participating, something may come up from that too?
In any case, I wish you all the best with your writing and keep the faith,
Milena 🙂
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk

Thank you so much! 😊

Hi @dottiewriting,

I write as a hobby but am sure you are much more advanced)

I find it helpful to write things I am passionate about and have experience with. I have tried writing fiction before without any resemblance to my life, all from my head and it tended to collapse. I like to have an anchor, a place that I have been to that I could use as a setting, and characters vaguely based on people that I know. Writing about subjects that I like makes my life easier. I have heard that making it a habit helps, perhaps with your first cup of coffee/tea/water/hot chocolate of the day.
Being embarrassed about other people reading your work is natural, but an essential part of improving. I am nervous about that as I have dyslexia and it is hard being corrected on spelling in your twenties. Also, your work is personal, a reflection of the way you think and see the world. I think that asking someone you trust to read your work first will help you build up your confidence in getting feedback.

Maybe you have friends interested in writing?

Hristiana (Kingston rep)
1st year Mental Health Nursing

Hi! I actually was so close to picking Aberystwyth, but ended up going to a different uni but still studying creative writing!
For your portfolio, I would say getting to the core of an idea is more important than any trope or genre or complications! Simple plots like 'my character has to make a choice' or 'my character made a mistake' can be great prompts. I would also encourage going outside, finding interesting or inspiring things, such as places, even doing some people watching and making up a story. I would try not to put too much pressure on yourself to write something super different or complex for this, just take it as a chance to show off your writing! Even if you write something inspired by a book or rewrite something it's a starting point!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending