The Student Room Group

Is it worth taking A Level English Lit/History with Biology and Chemistry

I'm planning on taking A Level Biology and Chemistry and am stuck on what third subject to take. Maths and Physics are completely off the table for me, so I've really been debating between Psychology, English Lit and History. I'm most likely to take Psychology as it is classed as a science subject and would be more practical, but I definitely enjoy English Lit and History more and they would demonstrate analytical and writing skills, but am concerned that if I take either of them over Psychology they won't be as practical or useful towards getting into a science degree at uni. So I just wanted to ask if it's worth taking English Lit or History or if I should just stick with Psychology.
If you know what you want to do at uni, look into courses and see what A-Levels they require. If it's not necessary to have three science-y subjects I'd go with English or History because you'll develop a wider range of skills which is both good for you and for uni applications! I was originally planning on doing maths, physics, chem and comp sci but swapped chem for english last minute and I have no regrets. I love science + maths but writing essays and getting to be creative is a welcome break a lot of the time
Reply 2
Original post by rose.clm
If you know what you want to do at uni, look into courses and see what A-Levels they require. If it's not necessary to have three science-y subjects I'd go with English or History because you'll develop a wider range of skills which is both good for you and for uni applications! I was originally planning on doing maths, physics, chem and comp sci but swapped chem for english last minute and I have no regrets. I love science + maths but writing essays and getting to be creative is a welcome break a lot of the time

Thanks for responding! I definitely wanna take an essay subject just as a break from the science because Bio and Chem are really tough A Levels from what I've heard. I'm still debating between Psychology and English Lit, I think Psychology would be a lot easier and would open more doors for uni courses, but English would display skills in analysis, creativity and writing and I think I could do with the variety in my subjects. I'm considering doing Dentistry or Forensic Sciences/Microbiology at Uni; Dentistry typically requires 3 science subjects whereas the other 2 don't, which is where my confusion is coming from. I think I'll take Psychology and have English as a reserve or something to fall back on if I drop Psychology. Thanks for the advice!
Original post by CompleatBeet
Thanks for responding! I definitely wanna take an essay subject just as a break from the science because Bio and Chem are really tough A Levels from what I've heard. I'm still debating between Psychology and English Lit, I think Psychology would be a lot easier and would open more doors for uni courses, but English would display skills in analysis, creativity and writing and I think I could do with the variety in my subjects. I'm considering doing Dentistry or Forensic Sciences/Microbiology at Uni; Dentistry typically requires 3 science subjects whereas the other 2 don't, which is where my confusion is coming from. I think I'll take Psychology and have English as a reserve or something to fall back on if I drop Psychology. Thanks for the advice!

Sounds good, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself either way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest