The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Creative Writing Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bethanywj
Hello! my name's Bethany, I'm not actually doing creative writing (I'll be studying commercial music) but I just wanted to say I was so relieved reading that there are others that aren't massive party people as I am definitely not and I was completely stressing out about it haha. I actually wish I lived close enough to be able to commute (I'm from North Wales, about 200 miles away) because the whole idea of halls and how expensive it all is is stressful haha, the grass is always greener isn't it?! Anyway, sorry to interrupt and thanks for calming my nerves a little bit about the party/drinking side of things! x

Hi Bethany :smile: I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't a massive party person, either! It never occurred to me that the thought of living in halls would be stressful, I know that the price is more expensive than others, but I'm only bummed cos I wanted the 'uni experience' of living in halls!

Anyway, good luck everyone with their exams! :smile:
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Original post by LittleInnocence
Nice to meet you too! the Isle of Wight sounds like a great place to visit! I have mixed feelings about freshers, I'm not a huge party person at all (small group of friends is fine), so it will be a whole new territory for me and I'm terrified! Just need to pass exams now! aaah stress!

Yeah it's a great place to visit, but once you've lived there for nearly 18 years, it eats away at your soul *shifty eyes*... I'm petrified about freshers, haha! I'm still 17 so I've never been to a bar and bought a drink. I think we'll be fine in a small group if we stick together eh :wink:
I'm sure we'll be okay with the exams. Just gotta get that B in English and presto, we're in.
Good luck!
Original post by Saidani
As 'mature' as being 20 can make me, yes.
I've probably started closer to forty and done exactly that. I'm still reading Tale of the Body Thief, and I started that in 2011.

Hi there!

Sorry, had to interject- Tale of the Body Thief is one of my favourite books! Took forever to read for me, too, but it's totally worth it. Anne Rice is my literary goddess.
Reply 43
Original post by Chidori96
Hi there!

Sorry, had to interject- Tale of the Body Thief is one of my favourite books! Took forever to read for me, too, but it's totally worth it. Anne Rice is my literary goddess.

Glad to hear it's worth it! Anne Rice is just something else. I absolutely marvel at her writing. :biggrin: I'm looking forward to reading Memnoch the Devil. I can't wait to see her take on the Devil.

@LittleInnocence: Divergent is really good, though I still haven't gotten around to reading the final book. Think I'd need to re-read the first two and I just can't find the time for that, either.

And hi to everyone else! It's pretty nice to see that there's a community of people who don't drink. ^^ (and good luck to everyone in their exams!)
Original post by Saidani
Glad to hear it's worth it! Anne Rice is just something else. I absolutely marvel at her writing. :biggrin: I'm looking forward to reading Memnoch the Devil. I can't wait to see her take on the Devil.

@LittleInnocence: Divergent is really good, though I still haven't gotten around to reading the final book. Think I'd need to re-read the first two and I just can't find the time for that, either.

And hi to everyone else! It's pretty nice to see that there's a community of people who don't drink. ^^ (and good luck to everyone in their exams!)

Memnoch the Devil is meant to be a little preachy, but I'm sure it will be good- it's her, after all. Her books that aren't in the Vampire Chronicles are just as wonderful too (Angel Time, Servant of the Bones, etc).
Also- I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't party much. I like to drink, but I'm a terrible drunk so it's probably not the best idea!

Let's do our best everyone!
Reply 45
Original post by Chidori96
Memnoch the Devil is meant to be a little preachy, but I'm sure it will be good- it's her, after all. Her books that aren't in the Vampire Chronicles are just as wonderful too (Angel Time, Servant of the Bones, etc).
Also- I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't party much. I like to drink, but I'm a terrible drunk so it's probably not the best idea!

Let's do our best everyone!

I can deal with a little preachy, so long as it's interesting. Like you said, her books are good, so I'm sure this one'll be, too. :smile:

And to anyone worrying about exams: don't worry if you don't get the exact grade you need. I know lots of people who phoned their uni and spoke with them, and still got in. It's not the end of the world. Just revise and do your best.
Original post by Saidani

And to anyone worrying about exams: don't worry if you don't get the exact grade you need. I know lots of people who phoned their uni and spoke with them, and still got in. It's not the end of the world. Just revise and do your best.

Thank-you for the advice! :smile:

I want to expand my vocabulary and get into reading a wider range/genre of books rather than settling for a predictable romance story. I think I tend to go for books which are targeted for people younger than me and I don't really want that anymore.

Anyone got any recommendations? Nothing too bulky, please, I'm a slow reader (well slow compared to some other people I know!) Night Circus is on my To Read List, so I suppose I could give that a go?

P.S - spur of the moment idea - how about a Sober Society at Bath Spa? (for us non-drinkers?) :biggrin:
Reply 47
Thank-you for the advice! :smile:

I want to expand my vocabulary and get into reading a wider range/genre of books rather than settling for a predictable romance story. I think I tend to go for books which are targeted for people younger than me and I don't really want that anymore.

Anyone got any recommendations? Nothing too bulky, please, I'm a slow reader (well slow compared to some other people I know!) Night Circus is on my To Read List, so I suppose I could give that a go?

P.S - spur of the moment idea - how about a Sober Society at Bath Spa? (for us non-drinkers?) :biggrin:

Night circus is a nice read; I'll recommend anything by Neil Gaiman, if you haven't read anything by him before. (All I can think of are book that are fairly long, so I'm probably not any help in this. ^^:wink:

Sober Society, ha! I like it.
Hi to both of you, i've firmed for bath spa, and I am doing creative writing and English Literature. Just wondering what everyone put for accommodation? would be nice to meet some people before I go (providing that hopefully i get in haha)
Original post by maisyrees
Hi to both of you, i've firmed for bath spa, and I am doing creative writing and English Literature. Just wondering what everyone put for accommodation? would be nice to meet some people before I go (providing that hopefully i get in haha)

Hi :smile: Well, I'm not eligible for accommodation so I'll be commuting to the university (either by public transport or the car2spa scheme which they have on offer, I'm not 100% sure yet.) I have no idea how to confirm this is what I'm doing, like does the university need to know I'll be commuting so they have it records? I don't know!

I'm not really very helpful here, but it's nice to meet you anyhow!
Have you seen our recent posts? Are you a big party person or not so much?
Hopefully see you in September! :smile:
Hi :smile: Well, I'm not eligible for accommodation so I'll be commuting to the university (either by public transport or the car2spa scheme which they have on offer, I'm not 100% sure yet.) I have no idea how to confirm this is what I'm doing, like does the university need to know I'll be commuting so they have it records? I don't know!

I'm not really very helpful here, but it's nice to meet you anyhow!
Have you seen our recent posts? Are you a big party person or not so much?
Hopefully see you in September! :smile:

Hi! well i think you should phone up the university and ask? theres no harm in asking and this way you'll both be clear! Nice to meet you too :smile: I do like to party, but obviously I like to curl up with a book too! I can do both! where are you from?
Original post by HPMeredith
Hey everyone, I have applied for creative writing at Bath Spa too! exceptionally excited yet also unbelievably nervous in regards to getting the grades. I hope you all do well, just wanted to see who else has applied :smile:

Hi! :smile: I'm sure we're all feeling the same way! That's what's reassured me about starting university - "everyone will be in the same boat" but I don't think that will stop me from feeling nervous and excited!

Good luck with your exams and maybe see you in september! :smile:
Hi! well i think you should phone up the university and ask? theres no harm in asking and this way you'll both be clear! Nice to meet you too :smile: I do like to party, but obviously I like to curl up with a book too! I can do both! where are you from?

Or I could email the university? like the admissions people? That's true, thank-you :smile:

Do you have a favourite book or a favourite author?

I live within 30 miles from bath spa (i think about 18-20 miles away) so that's why I won't get accommodation :frown: (i'm annoyed cos the accommodation at bath spa is soo homey-feeling! any one else feel this way? Bath Spa feels like my home away from home except I will be at home when I study!)
Or I could email the university? like the admissions people? That's true, thank-you :smile:

Do you have a favourite book or a favourite author?

I live within 30 miles from bath spa (i think about 18-20 miles away) so that's why I won't get accommodation :frown: (i'm annoyed cos the accommodation at bath spa is soo homey-feeling! any one else feel this way? Bath Spa feels like my home away from home except I will be at home when I study!)

Yes, do that, and then you'll both be clear and no need to worry! and oh that's annoying, I live in Salisbury, which is just outside of the 30 miles away, I'm quite happy because i've been able to pick the new accommodation which has an en-suite, and it looks really nice and modern!

I like a range of authors, I don't particularly have a favourite, I do prefer romance, and sort of crime stories, which I echo in my own creative writing. Although I am a bit worried as I haven't read many of the classics! I'm hoping to get in to journalism really. How about you? what type of genres and authors do you like? :smile:

Also i've only been to Bath like twice for shopping does anyone know what the town/nightlife is like?
Yes, do that, and then you'll both be clear and no need to worry! and oh that's annoying, I live in Salisbury, which is just outside of the 30 miles away, I'm quite happy because i've been able to pick the new accommodation which has an en-suite, and it looks really nice and modern!

I like a range of authors, I don't particularly have a favourite, I do prefer romance, and sort of crime stories, which I echo in my own creative writing. Although I am a bit worried as I haven't read many of the classics! I'm hoping to get in to journalism really. How about you? what type of genres and authors do you like? :smile:

Also i've only been to Bath like twice for shopping does anyone know what the town/nightlife is like?

Lucky you getting the new accommodation! :smile:

I like romance too, but I've been getting suggestions for other books to read to expand my genre and vocab, rather than sticking to romance books as I feel I read books which are suited to younger audiences and I don't really want that. Divergent, Night Circus, a few books by John Green (after I've finished The Fault in Our Stars) are on my list to read. I don't really have a favourite author, either, as I don't have a lot of free time to read for pleasure, as much as I'd want to, but if I had to read books and was given a reading list, then I'd make the effort to read them, despite being a slow-ish reader. I tried googling ways to read faster and most were like skim reading, but that means I don't take in what I'm reading and I'll forget what's going on in the story!

I've only been to Bath during the day, but shopping and eating out in places is wonderful! I'm not really a go-out-at-night kind of person, so with regards to nightlife, I'm not the right person to ask, sorry!
I generally feel that Bath, as in the area, is a great place to be in because of the historic buildings and scenery! :smile:
Lucky you getting the new accommodation! :smile:

I like romance too, but I've been getting suggestions for other books to read to expand my genre and vocab, rather than sticking to romance books as I feel I read books which are suited to younger audiences and I don't really want that. Divergent, Night Circus, a few books by John Green (after I've finished The Fault in Our Stars) are on my list to read. I don't really have a favourite author, either, as I don't have a lot of free time to read for pleasure, as much as I'd want to, but if I had to read books and was given a reading list, then I'd make the effort to read them, despite being a slow-ish reader. I tried googling ways to read faster and most were like skim reading, but that means I don't take in what I'm reading and I'll forget what's going on in the story!

I've only been to Bath during the day, but shopping and eating out in places is wonderful! I'm not really a go-out-at-night kind of person, so with regards to nightlife, I'm not the right person to ask, sorry!
I generally feel that Bath, as in the area, is a great place to be in because of the historic buildings and scenery! :smile:

Wow thank you! Yes i am trying to read harder books but it's not really the genre I want to get in to!

Perhaps if we are doing a degree based on reading we will get much more time to read for pleasure and broaden our repertoire! The fault in our stars is amazing, very well written!

And wow thanks, I love to shop too so that's really good news for me! I hope to meet you in September :smile:
Wow thank you! Yes i am trying to read harder books but it's not really the genre I want to get in to!

Perhaps if we are doing a degree based on reading we will get much more time to read for pleasure and broaden our repertoire! The fault in our stars is amazing, very well written!

And wow thanks, I love to shop too so that's really good news for me! I hope to meet you in September :smile:

I hope to meet you too! :smile: I hope to meet everyone on this forum thread :smile:

I'm only on chapter 3 of The Fault in Our Stars and already I feel like I want to write like he does, or that I am capable of doing so!

If you don't mind my asking, what A Levels do you take at the moment? (this is something other people have asked me!)
I hope to meet you too! :smile: I hope to meet everyone on this forum thread :smile:

I'm only on chapter 3 of The Fault in Our Stars and already I feel like I want to write like he does, or that I am capable of doing so!

If you don't mind my asking, what A Levels do you take at the moment? (this is something other people have asked me!)

Well I think as you carry on reading, you'll understand why its such a good read! don't want to spoil it :smile:

I'm doing English language and literature, Psychology, Travel and Tourism and General Studies (compulsory but good for me as bath spa take it and I find it easy) how about you?
Reply 58

Hi! I'm going to be commuting as well, probably getting a lift from whatever family member is available since public transport would be kinda expensive/long-winded for where I live.

Just curious, Maisyress, what do you do in General Studies? I took it in my Year 12 year but we didn't actually study or learn anything, just had discussions that had no relation to what was in our exam. I was baffled by the whole thing. :/
Original post by Saidani
Hi! I'm going to be commuting as well, probably getting a lift from whatever family member is available since public transport would be kinda expensive/long-winded for where I live.

Just curious, Maisyress, what do you do in General Studies? I took it in my Year 12 year but we didn't actually study or learn anything, just had discussions that had no relation to what was in our exam. I was baffled by the whole thing. :/

Hi saidani! We do basically the same, it's like forming your own opinion on current affairs except my college does it as an a level so it helps me score more UCAS points :smile: xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending