The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Creative Writing Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maisyrees

I'm doing English language and literature, Psychology, Travel and Tourism and General Studies (compulsory but good for me as bath spa take it and I find it easy) how about you?

Travel & Tourism?! Never heard of that as a subject! What's that like?
I do Media, Health & Social Care and Sociology :smile:

@Saidani: If you can't get a friend or relative to give you lifts, why not join the Car2Spa scheme? I'm considering it, but I'm not sure. As you said, public transport can be expensive and I'm not that confident with public transport anyway!
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Reply 61
Original post by LittleInnocence

@Saidani: If you can't get a friend or relative to give you lifts, why not join the Car2Spa scheme? I'm considering it, but I'm not sure. As you said, public transport can be expensive and I'm not that confident with public transport anyway!

Yeah, I am debating looking up that, but I'm skeptical if anyone will be close enough. I think I'll take a look closer to September. Maybe have the first week just relying on relatives and such and then see what's best from then on.
It would be very expensive! I'd have to get a bus/train into Bath, and then another bus to Bath Spa. Doing that every day would quickly add up. (And I share the lack of confidence with public transport as well. xD I'm keeping my options open, though. The bus may be easier a few time a month or something.)

So, I know I've asked what sort of things everyone writes, but what's the longest thing you've all written? Like have you finished a novel, or done a series of poems or something? Curious to know what everyone's already achieved!

Travel and tourism is like geography and business combined of which I did both in GCSE! It's really interesting considering I want to travel when I leave uni and I've already travelled a lot :smile: I'm interested in travel journalism!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saidani
Yeah, I am debating looking up that, but I'm skeptical if anyone will be close enough. I think I'll take a look closer to September. Maybe have the first week just relying on relatives and such and then see what's best from then on.
It would be very expensive! I'd have to get a bus/train into Bath, and then another bus to Bath Spa. Doing that every day would quickly add up. (And I share the lack of confidence with public transport as well. xD I'm keeping my options open, though. The bus may be easier a few time a month or something.)

So, I know I've asked what sort of things everyone writes, but what's the longest thing you've all written? Like have you finished a novel, or done a series of poems or something? Curious to know what everyone's already achieved!

I just have a fear of trains! (is there a name for that?) Buses are ok, once I've seen the route before hand and I know where I'm getting off, but I wouldn't take a train unless I had to! I'm fine on a train with other people, like family and friends, but on my own, nope, no thank-you! I don't know if it's a confidence thing that needs improving, but that's just how I feel at this moment in time! :smile:

Well, my first ever series of books I wrote when I was about nine, (which is what sparked my ambitions to be an author) was a 20-odd series of hand-drawn books (made from plain paper and stencils) all of which were between 3-5 pages long and do not make sense! The main gist of the story was that it was about a girl called Mia with really long hair and her dad was the president of America!

Then when I was in Year 7, I spent some time writing a novel about a girl with magic powers and she got sent to a special school to help her powers grow, when it was finished (two years later) it was quite long so my dad helped me to condense it, then for my 14th birthday, he self-published it for me (bound it all together with a front cover made from wrapping paper)

In recent years, I joined a website called Booksie, but don't really use it now, but I've got a story and poem on there. The story is probably one of my favourites that I've written about a teenage girl and her twin brother have a bet to see who can stay in a relationship the longest during summer!

Other than that, I've got the story I'm (kind of) currently writing and I've got lots of ideas for other things too, like I really want to write a play! Or a story about a Dystopian city!
Travel and tourism is like geography and business combined of which I did both in GCSE! It's really interesting considering I want to travel when I leave uni and I've already travelled a lot :smile: I'm interested in travel journalism!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really interesting! So would travel journalism be things like you see in travel agents? Reporting on the best places to go abroad?
That's really interesting! So would travel journalism be things like you see in travel agents? Reporting on the best places to go abroad?

No it's like blogging, and writing books and articles on places, like mainly magazine as I'm interesting fashion too! I like journalism not just poetry and novels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
I just have a fear of trains! (is there a name for that?) Buses are ok, once I've seen the route before hand and I know where I'm getting off, but I wouldn't take a train unless I had to! I'm fine on a train with other people, like family and friends, but on my own, nope, no thank-you! I don't know if it's a confidence thing that needs improving, but that's just how I feel at this moment in time! :smile:

Well, my first ever series of books I wrote when I was about nine, (which is what sparked my ambitions to be an author) was a 20-odd series of hand-drawn books (made from plain paper and stencils) all of which were between 3-5 pages long and do not make sense! The main gist of the story was that it was about a girl called Mia with really long hair and her dad was the president of America!

Then when I was in Year 7, I spent some time writing a novel about a girl with magic powers and she got sent to a special school to help her powers grow, when it was finished (two years later) it was quite long so my dad helped me to condense it, then for my 14th birthday, he self-published it for me (bound it all together with a front cover made from wrapping paper)

In recent years, I joined a website called Booksie, but don't really use it now, but I've got a story and poem on there. The story is probably one of my favourites that I've written about a teenage girl and her twin brother have a bet to see who can stay in a relationship the longest during summer!

Other than that, I've got the story I'm (kind of) currently writing and I've got lots of ideas for other things too, like I really want to write a play! Or a story about a Dystopian city!

Siderodromophobia = fear of trains, apparently. I'm more comfortable with trains simply because I've been on more of them. Buses I've rarely needed to use hence the caution of them. ^^; I'm a creature of habit. Anything I'm not used to is avoided.

Ha, sounds like a good start. :biggrin: Mine was a similar thing. I think it was in year six and we had to make a story, hand drawn and such. Mine was about a girl named Eva, who had a ponytail and lived in the greek mythology-era, or something like that. I don't even think it had a plot..
Naw, that was really nice of him! What did you call it? (Titles are the hardest thing for me to think of. I'm terrible at them.)

Never heard of Booksie. I have a deviantArt account that I used to post things on, but not as much recently. I've put up the last novella I wrote, but that's the last thing. Anyone else got an account there? I actually started writing 'properly' by writing fanfic, and dear god I'm glad I've deleted them. They were so bad and cringe-inducing.
No it's like blogging, and writing books and articles on places, like mainly magazine as I'm interesting fashion too! I like journalism not just poetry and novels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool :smile: I'd love to write a play, I think that would be cool, I've always like drama and acting and filming, so I think to write my own play would be good, as well as writing books and other things! There's no end to what we can learn with a Creative Writing degree, which I think is what's great about it, how broad it is, how there are many different styles of writing we can learn! :smile:
Original post by Saidani
Siderodromophobia = fear of trains, apparently. I'm more comfortable with trains simply because I've been on more of them. Buses I've rarely needed to use hence the caution of them. ^^; I'm a creature of habit. Anything I'm not used to is avoided.

Ha, sounds like a good start. :biggrin: Mine was a similar thing. I think it was in year six and we had to make a story, hand drawn and such. Mine was about a girl named Eva, who had a ponytail and lived in the greek mythology-era, or something like that. I don't even think it had a plot..
Naw, that was really nice of him! What did you call it? (Titles are the hardest thing for me to think of. I'm terrible at them.)

Never heard of Booksie. I have a deviantArt account that I used to post things on, but not as much recently. I've put up the last novella I wrote, but that's the last thing. Anyone else got an account there? I actually started writing 'properly' by writing fanfic, and dear god I'm glad I've deleted them. They were so bad and cringe-inducing.

Siderodromophobia sounds nothing like a train...that sounds scary!

I called it Heaven High Academy: Proof of a Power (with the intention of making it into a series, but I never did, baring in mind I was about 11 when I wrote it!)

The only online writing-sharing website I'm part of is Booksie, but I want to create my own website and publish stories and such on there, some day!

I'm struggling to come up with a name for my current story, that might be because I have no idea where I want the story to go...I'm in need of some inspiration...hmmm...

Just a random question, can we create groups on here, like you can on Facebook?
Reply 69
Siderodromophobia sounds nothing like a train...that sounds scary!

I called it Heaven High Academy: Proof of a Power (with the intention of making it into a series, but I never did, baring in mind I was about 11 when I wrote it!)

The only online writing-sharing website I'm part of is Booksie, but I want to create my own website and publish stories and such on there, some day!

I'm struggling to come up with a name for my current story, that might be because I have no idea where I want the story to go...I'm in need of some inspiration...hmmm...

Just a random question, can we create groups on here, like you can on Facebook?

11 year old you was ambitious!

Good luck. Like I said, titles are my weak spot. My current book is just known as 'Temple' because, well, that's what it's about. I deal with titles after I've written the project, and just give it a codename as I'm writing it.

I...don't know. I haven't used this website for long, and I've never bothered with having a Facebook account. ^^;
Original post by Saidani
11 year old you was ambitious!

Good luck. Like I said, titles are my weak spot. My current book is just known as 'Temple' because, well, that's what it's about. I deal with titles after I've written the project, and just give it a codename as I'm writing it.

I...don't know. I haven't used this website for long, and I've never bothered with having a Facebook account. ^^;

Haha! 18 year old me is still ambitious!

That's a great idea - thinking of code names to use whilst the story is in process. I think I'll call my current story Operation Deviant - I dunno!
I wonder what the time-tabling will be like at uni?

I bet the layout will be very different to the timetable I use now in sixth form.

I just hope it won't be hard to read or confusing!
Reply 72
I wonder what the time-tabling will be like at uni?

I bet the layout will be very different to the timetable I use now in sixth form.

I just hope it won't be hard to read or confusing!

I have no clue what it'll be like. I'm positive it won't be difficult to read or anything, but I'm not certain how often we'll need to be at the campus or anything. It'll be different to sixth form in that way, but I'm not sure what else. :/
Original post by Saidani
I have no clue what it'll be like. I'm positive it won't be difficult to read or anything, but I'm not certain how often we'll need to be at the campus or anything. It'll be different to sixth form in that way, but I'm not sure what else. :/

I've read contact hours (hours at uni) can range from 6-16 hours, so that could be everyday for a few hours or a few days a week for more hours, but I guess when we get our time tables for seminars and lectures we will find out. We are meant to put in double the amount of the contact hours in to personal study such as reading or assignments, if not more. Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've read contact hours (hours at uni) can range from 6-16 hours, so that could be everyday for a few hours or a few days a week for more hours, but I guess when we get our time tables for seminars and lectures we will find out. We are meant to put in double the amount of the contact hours in to personal study such as reading or assignments, if not more. Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that helps, thank-you! I soo want to get into bath spa and just start uni!
Do you reckon anyone will set anything over the summer to have prepared in september? That's something i worry about, whether they say to have read this book or have written this thing, you know?
I've been meaning to say this is a previous post, but I feel a sense of belonging in this forum (with the whole people doing creative writing, non-drinkers/don't really party etc) maybe on the first day we could decide on a place to meet so we can all meet each other in person. Just a suggestion. I don't want to get my hopes up then find i didn't do well enough to get into bath spa then not get the opportunity to meet you guys, who may well be my future friends! :smile:
Do you reckon anyone will set anything over the summer to have prepared in september? That's something i worry about, whether they say to have read this book or have written this thing, you know?
I've been meaning to say this is a previous post, but I feel a sense of belonging in this forum (with the whole people doing creative writing, non-drinkers/don't really party etc) maybe on the first day we could decide on a place to meet so we can all meet each other in person. Just a suggestion. I don't want to get my hopes up then find i didn't do well enough to get into bath spa then not get the opportunity to meet you guys, who may well be my future friends! :smile:

Basically, they aren't supposed to set anything because if we do it and don't get in then it's pointless :smile: and I do like to go out and that still! :smile: but that doesn't mean we can't meet :smile: does anyone know what the actual work load will be like, like what assignments will be like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Basically, they aren't supposed to set anything because if we do it and don't get in then it's pointless :smile: and I do like to go out and that still! :smile: but that doesn't mean we can't meet :smile: does anyone know what the actual work load will be like, like what assignments will be like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been told we learn a number of topics perhaps over a week, the assignments we get will probably relate to writing, but I guess we won't know until we're there!

To current bath spa student who studies creative writing - if you see this post, what is the work load and assignments like? Thank-you :smile:
Reply 77

I've been thinking about asking if anyone wanted to arrange a place to meet on the first day, just so I'm up for doing that. :smile:
Again, don't worry about not getting the right grades. I was quite a bit under the required UCAS points and I got in, so I'm sure everyone else will do fine if they've already been offered a place.
Ah, the more people talk about it, the more excited I get about meeting everyone! Gives a bit of motivation since I have no attention span and have a hard time staying focused enough to work!

I'm up for arranging a little get together of us Creative Writing people on the first day (if not, any time in freshers).
Original post by Chidori96
Ah, the more people talk about it, the more excited I get about meeting everyone! Gives a bit of motivation since I have no attention span and have a hard time staying focused enough to work!

I'm up for arranging a little get together of us Creative Writing people on the first day (if not, any time in freshers).

It is exciting! Heey creative writing peeps! :smile:
Maybe closer to the time, we ought to tell everyone what we're all wearing (test of our descriptive skills hehee) that way I wont go around to random people and be like "Hey are you a member of The Student Room? What's your username? Are you doing creative writing?" (even though I might be soo nervous to do that anyway)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending