The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Creative Writing Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pavarotti
Surely you won't need a wristband for the free events, though. Especially not the BBQ Acoustic, as that will be outdoors, and thus will have no doors. The more expensive, more popular events (where a wristband will be useful) will most likely be the clubby ones. And when I say clubby I mean anything after 8pm with alcohol and lights :wink:

I do. I have. Which verb do I need here? :smile: I'm going to string those up, though, and wrap the string around the gaps between the ceiling tiles. I'm buying a wall planner, though, so I can see the year at a glance. If washi tape isn't allowed then I'll just hide it around a corner :wink:

Oh ok, they don't have any times up yet, but hopefully they'll update the info! anyone else interested in the roller disco? that sounds so cool!
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Original post by Saidani
Yes! Exactly. I don't mind a theme where I can use clothes I already own, with only a few odd bits to buy to go with it. But really specific buy-a-whole-outfit kind of theme just makes me give an instant, "No."
I love acoustic music, so I'm all over going to a BBQ with some acoustic thrown in. Wonder how many events will be going on throughout the year like this?

As much as i love the idea of a masquerade ball, i'm not sure if i want to go, i'm sure there will be plenty of other events going on throughout the year! :smile:
Reply 782
Original post by LittleInnocence
As much as i love the idea of a masquerade ball, i'm not sure if i want to go, i'm sure there will be plenty of other events going on throughout the year! :smile:

I'm positive there will be, it's just a matter of remembering that just because you don't go to everything in Freshers, doesn't mean you'll have a bad time. That ever annoying thing called patience comes into play.
You going to the Commuter's Brunch?
Original post by Saidani
Yes! Exactly. I don't mind a theme where I can use clothes I already own, with only a few odd bits to buy to go with it. But really specific buy-a-whole-outfit kind of theme just makes me give an instant, "No."
I love acoustic music, so I'm all over going to a BBQ with some acoustic thrown in. Wonder how many events will be going on throughout the year like this?

Yep :smile: Although at uni I think one of the biggest dress-up ideas is recycling stuff and making your own costumes? I feel so much more comfortable in a pair of skinny jeans!
I don't eat meat, but I'm still looking forward to the BBQ :smile: I hope there will be more. Although maybe not outdoor as it will get cold? Ooh, maybe we could arrange some? I'm kind of thinking the BBQ acoustic might be on the grass outside the main house? If that's the case (we might also have to find a new place to meet up on day one if that's going to be crowded) then I'm sure we could arrange a society or something which puts on events like these. I'm sure Bath is bound to have some good acoustic nights, though.
@Saidani If you don't want to do the night stuff but maybe want to hang around campus, how do you like board games? My family is kind of obsessed and I'm considering bringing a couple of uni and swapping them over every time I head back home. Maybe whilst everyone else is clubbing we could arrange to play some board games? :smile:
Reply 785
@Saidani If you don't want to do the night stuff but maybe want to hang around campus, how do you like board games? My family is kind of obsessed and I'm considering bringing a couple of uni and swapping them over every time I head back home. Maybe whilst everyone else is clubbing we could arrange to play some board games? :smile:

Ooh, board games are good! Sounds like a great idea to bring a few and swap them out every so often. A night with some hot chocolate/coffee and a few board games sounds amazing. I prefer that to clubs. :smile:

I think that the BBQ could be in the gardens? But that's just my vague impression.
Reply 786

Ooh, ooh! Can I come?!! I'm just going to pay on the door as I'm not a club person, I'd much rather have a hot chocolate and play Monopoly :biggrin:

Also, I'm so glad that I have you guys to refer to, otherwise I would have never sorted half the things I needed to, such as my account and my email.
On that note, what's the NUS card? And how do you get it?
Reply 787
Original post by Liz86
Ooh, ooh! Can I come?!! I'm just going to pay on the door as I'm not a club person, I'd much rather have a hot chocolate and play Monopoly :biggrin:

Also, I'm so glad that I have you guys to refer to, otherwise I would have never sorted half the things I needed to, such as my account and my email.
On that note, what's the NUS card? And how do you get it?

Same. I'd be freaking out a lot more and panicking if I didn't have you guys to talk to and figure stuff out with.

You get an NUS card from here:http://www.nus.org.uk/en/nus-extra/
and basically it allows students to get discounts from a variety of places (Amazon lets you use it for their stuff, so you get discounts on all uni things and most other things) it's £32 for a 3 year card, or £22 for two years, £12 for one. But some banks give you one for free if you have a student bank account with them, so I'd check that out if you have one. :smile:
It explains it all on the website. You don't need to have an NUS card, but I thought it might be useful to have one.

Also, good news on my ID problem! Bath Spa got back to me and told me that if my Licence doesn't arrive in time, just bring in my old passport and my birth certificate and I'll be fine. No fine, no fuss. :biggrin: so relieved!
Original post by Saidani
Same. I'd be freaking out a lot more and panicking if I didn't have you guys to talk to and figure stuff out with.

You get an NUS card from here:http://www.nus.org.uk/en/nus-extra/
and basically it allows students to get discounts from a variety of places (Amazon lets you use it for their stuff, so you get discounts on all uni things and most other things) it's £32 for a 3 year card, or £22 for two years, £12 for one. But some banks give you one for free if you have a student bank account with them, so I'd check that out if you have one. :smile:
It explains it all on the website. You don't need to have an NUS card, but I thought it might be useful to have one.

Also, good news on my ID problem! Bath Spa got back to me and told me that if my Licence doesn't arrive in time, just bring in my old passport and my birth certificate and I'll be fine. No fine, no fuss. :biggrin: so relieved!

I have an appointment to change my bank account to a student account tomorrow, so my free NUS card should be on its way soon. :biggrin: It'll be useful for discounts if we ever happen to go in shops, at least.

Glad you have your ID thing sorted out!

Also- I heard back from the Peer Mentor thing and have been given a mentor! Anyone else?
Reply 789
Original post by Chidori96
I have an appointment to change my bank account to a student account tomorrow, so my free NUS card should be on its way soon. :biggrin: It'll be useful for discounts if we ever happen to go in shops, at least.

Glad you have your ID thing sorted out!

Also- I heard back from the Peer Mentor thing and have been given a mentor! Anyone else?

I haven't heard from the Peer Mentor thing yet, though I did only apply the day after they sent out the email so maybe it'll take a little longer to get a response.

Also, has the online enrolment for our course been pushed back for anyone? It's now the 5th, not the 4th.
Reply 790
Original post by Saidani
I haven't heard from the Peer Mentor thing yet, though I did only apply the day after they sent out the email so maybe it'll take a little longer to get a response.

Also, has the online enrolment for our course been pushed back for anyone? It's now the 5th, not the 4th.

I got my peer mentor who seems lovely! :smile: I wasn't actually aware of the date for course enrolment, is it the 5th then?
Reply 791
Original post by Liz86
I got my peer mentor who seems lovely! :smile: I wasn't actually aware of the date for course enrolment, is it the 5th then?

It is now, but maybe it'll change again, I'm not sure. :/
Ah, I can't wait to find out my Peer Mentor. Though I don't really think I have any questions to ask. xD
Aaah missed lots of posts!

@Saidani - yep deffo want to go to Commuter's Brunch.

@Pavarotti - i'm looking forward to the acoustic music and BBQ - i'm not really a clubbish person either so board games sound fun - how about card games? (rummy is the only card game i know how to play...) or maybe the small group of us could have a movie night?

I've checked and annoyingly the online course enrolment has been pushed to 5th grr...

I'm getting excited for Freshers!! I really can't wait to meet you all! :biggrin: (Warning: I'm a hugger! :P )

EDIT: Peer mentor - I've got mine and i've been asking her lots already! I'm a curious person! :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Aaah missed lots of posts!

@Saidani - yep deffo want to go to Commuter's Brunch.

@Pavarotti - i'm looking forward to the acoustic music and BBQ - i'm not really a clubbish person either so board games sound fun - how about card games? (rummy is the only card game i know how to play...) or maybe the small group of us could have a movie night?

I've checked and annoyingly the online course enrolment has been pushed to 5th grr...

I'm getting excited for Freshers!! I really can't wait to meet you all! :biggrin: (Warning: I'm a hugger! :P )

EDIT: Peer mentor - I've got mine and i've been asking her lots already! I'm a curious person! :P

I keep missing loads of posts and then randomly jumping in on the conversation. It's so hard to keep track!

Damn. It doesn't matter what date it is, as long as we get it done in the end. I'm annoyed about the fact that we have to upload a photo to the website so they can create our student ID cards. The photo has to be sharp quality, on a light background, etc etc. I'm gonna have fun trying to get a decent picture.

Also- I am a hugger too. May as well have 'FREE HUGS' tattooed on my forehead. :tongue:

Haven't heard back from my peer mentor yet, but then again, I only got her today.
Reply 794
I keep missing loads of posts and then randomly jumping in on the conversation. It's so hard to keep track!

Damn. It doesn't matter what date it is, as long as we get it done in the end. I'm annoyed about the fact that we have to upload a photo to the website so they can create our student ID cards. The photo has to be sharp quality, on a light background, etc etc. I'm gonna have fun trying to get a decent picture.

Also- I am a hugger too. May as well have 'FREE HUGS' tattooed on my forehead. :tongue:

Haven't heard back from my peer mentor yet, but then again, I only got her today.

I'm a hugger too guys! When does the picture need to be up by? I didn't see anything about a picture!

And I like the movie night idea. And I know a couple of card games, go fish, Irish snap :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Board game night it is! I also know a whole load of card games which would be quite easy to teach. And I have various coffees and teas which I'll be bringing with me so I think we're a go! I also am not really a movie person but would love to get into them at uni. It all sounds great :biggrin:

Another hugger here! Not all the time, but if I like the people then I'm very huggy. My best friend for many years was very anti-hugs and it was torture! I'm glad I've already fallen in with the right crowd :wink: In case you hadn't already guessed, I'm also someone who uses a lot of smileys online. Oops...

I got another email from Bath about peer mentors, so I decided to go for it. What do I have to lose, right?

Also, Bath Spa email addresses! I was wondering if any of you would be up to sharing our new email addresses? It'll probably be best to do it via private messaging, but it means we'll be able to keep in contact over the next couple of weeks in case of emergency (eg this site crashing) and we might feel more comfortable sharing photos/descriptions/mobile numbers/whatever over google mail rather than the Student Room? I think the address will just be our name with 14, right?

Finally, the NUS extra card. Is everyone planning on getting one? I'm figuring that the Student Zest will get me good discounts at independent shops, which I'd be happy to support, and I'll get some discounts with just a student ID, right? Plus I'm getting a tastecard which is half price meals at loads of places. Would you still recommend I get the NUS Extra card?
Reply 796
Board game night it is! I also know a whole load of card games which would be quite easy to teach. And I have various coffees and teas which I'll be bringing with me so I think we're a go! I also am not really a movie person but would love to get into them at uni. It all sounds great :biggrin:

Another hugger here! Not all the time, but if I like the people then I'm very huggy. My best friend for many years was very anti-hugs and it was torture! I'm glad I've already fallen in with the right crowd :wink: In case you hadn't already guessed, I'm also someone who uses a lot of smileys online. Oops...

I got another email from Bath about peer mentors, so I decided to go for it. What do I have to lose, right?

Also, Bath Spa email addresses! I was wondering if any of you would be up to sharing our new email addresses? It'll probably be best to do it via private messaging, but it means we'll be able to keep in contact over the next couple of weeks in case of emergency (eg this site crashing) and we might feel more comfortable sharing photos/descriptions/mobile numbers/whatever over google mail rather than the Student Room? I think the address will just be our name with 14, right?

Finally, the NUS extra card. Is everyone planning on getting one? I'm figuring that the Student Zest will get me good discounts at independent shops, which I'd be happy to support, and I'll get some discounts with just a student ID, right? Plus I'm getting a tastecard which is half price meals at loads of places. Would you still recommend I get the NUS Extra card?

I'm up for some card games as well! And yay for another person who isn't really into movies! I tend to not like them, but I'm really up for getting into watching them. A movie night sounds nice. :smile:

A lot of huggers in here!
(I use way too many smileys usually but I've been cutting down in case it came across as a tad bit excessive. xD Slowly I'm slipping up and more are creeping in!)

Ooh, that might be a good idea. I'm certainly going to see about exchanging phone numbers the day before we meet, since it'll probably be easier to just text each other where we are instead of wondering around randomly asking people, "Are you from the internets?!" like a loon. So, I'm okay with giving out that email. Although my email has 13 at the end, not 14.
Pippa and I are on Twitter talking, so if anyone else has an account be sure to mention it to us because it's an easy way to chat. :smile:

I've already ordered my NUS card, and it was dispatched today. The way I see it, the more opportunities for discounts the better. I'll be getting a student zest card as well, but that's probably about it. It's really up to you, though.

Also, RE: the BBQ & Acoustic night. Which date will be best to go to if we all want to meet up for it? (If we all want to meet up, that is. ;p)

EDIT: I've just found another discount thing for students which might be useful for people:
https://www.myunidays.com
Doesn't cost anything, just needs you to verify that you're a student which is really easy and quick. I'm seeing quite a few nice discounts (including Paperchase!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Saidani
I'm up for some card games as well! And yay for another person who isn't really into movies! I tend to not like them, but I'm really up for getting into watching them. A movie night sounds nice. :smile:

A lot of huggers in here!
(I use way too many smileys usually but I've been cutting down in case it came across as a tad bit excessive. xD Slowly I'm slipping up and more are creeping in!)

Ooh, that might be a good idea. I'm certainly going to see about exchanging phone numbers the day before we meet, since it'll probably be easier to just text each other where we are instead of wondering around randomly asking people, "Are you from the internets?!" like a loon. So, I'm okay with giving out that email. Although my email has 13 at the end, not 14.
Pippa and I are on Twitter talking, so if anyone else has an account be sure to mention it to us because it's an easy way to chat. :smile:

I've already ordered my NUS card, and it was dispatched today. The way I see it, the more opportunities for discounts the better. I'll be getting a student zest card as well, but that's probably about it. It's really up to you, though.

Also, RE: the BBQ & Acoustic night. Which date will be best to go to if we all want to meet up for it? (If we all want to meet up, that is. ;p)

@Pavarotti - yay for huggers! :biggrin: (and yes, i too use a lot of smileys!)

As a former media studies gcse and a level student, i personally like films, not horror - DEFFO NOT HORROR, (I've become a bit of a critic of films and adverts, hehee) but i'm up for anything, really! So I got excited when i saw we had the opportunity to create a film as a group project in creative writing!

I haven't had a chance to set up my BSU email to Google Mail - that's what I have to do, right?

Also, I'm happy to share my twitter via PM if you guys want it? I'm still a newbie getting used to it - the other day i figured out how to undo a re-tweet! yay me! :biggrin:

My NUS extra card has been dispatched. Should I get a Student Zest card too? Is that one specifically at the uni or is it for other places?

I am actually really excited to meet you all! :smile: EDIT: yes, BBQ & Acoustic Music - meet up on 20th or 21st? If you guys are moving into halls on both dates, personally, I'd say 21st would be better as it gives us a better chance of meeting everyone!
(edited 9 years ago)
@Pavarotti - yay for huggers! :biggrin: (and yes, i too use a lot of smileys!)

As a former media studies gcse and a level student, i personally like films, not horror - DEFFO NOT HORROR, (I've become a bit of a critic of films and adverts, hehee) but i'm up for anything, really! So I got excited when i saw we had the opportunity to create a film as a group project in creative writing!

I haven't had a chance to set up my BSU email to Google Mail - that's what I have to do, right?

Also, I'm happy to share my twitter via PM if you guys want it? I'm still a newbie getting used to it - the other day i figured out how to undo a re-tweet! yay me! :biggrin:

My NUS extra card has been dispatched. Should I get a Student Zest card too? Is that one specifically at the uni or is it for other places?

I am actually really excited to meet you all! :smile: EDIT: yes, BBQ & Acoustic Music - meet up on 20th or 21st? If you guys are moving into halls on both dates, personally, I'd say 21st would be better as it gives us a better chance of meeting everyone!

Meeting up on the 21st seems like the best idea in that case! I will be there pretty early in the day so I'm there any time to say hi/meet up. Looking forward to it. :-)

As for movies, I love psychological and spooky ones like The Green Mile, Silence of the Lambs and Shutter Island. My favourite is, however, Interview with the Vampire. (Of course!)

In other news... TOSHI THE LAPTOP HAS DIED :-(
Meeting up on the 21st seems like the best idea in that case! I will be there pretty early in the day so I'm there any time to say hi/meet up. Looking forward to it. :-)

As for movies, I love psychological and spooky ones like The Green Mile, Silence of the Lambs and Shutter Island. My favourite is, however, Interview with the Vampire. (Of course!)

In other news... TOSHI THE LAPTOP HAS DIED :-(

Only heard of Silence of the Lambs (isn't that a book too?) but not watched it and Interview with a Vampire, i've watched briefly.

Can't say I have a favourite film, there's a lot to choose from! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending