Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Creative Writing Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chidori96
I'm okay with exchanging numbers. PM me anytime!<br>
<br>
I'm having a book crisis. Do I bring my favourite books? The books I've been meaning to read? Or just any ones I want? I'm paranoid I'll bring too many.
<br>

Any books! From memory the rooms at the bottom of campus have a bookcase, or at least space for one. Although I know my room is going to be tiny and I'm still going to buy a bookcase when I get there. My book pile is a little crazy at the minute.
I think a lot of it will also depend on how regularly you're going to return home. If only once a term, then take as many as you can. If you're going to go home every other weekend, bring a couple that are your favourites, a couple that are on your reading list, and of course ones that you've got for the course. I'm also bringing ones that I want to recommend to people, though I suppose that fits under "favourites". If you've got a book you're really previous about, I wouldn't recommend bringing it. For example, I have a copy of The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell and one of Struck By Lightning, both signed, and they're going to stay at home.
Just follow your heart :wink:
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Original post by Saidani
Hi-hi people. :smile:
I'm up for sharing email address and mobile numbers via PM. That way once we're on campus it's a simple matter of texting any info about where we are.

So we're all meeting up on the 21st? What time? Where abouts? Details, people! We could meet up and go to the SU to buy buss passes and pick up stuff together, instead of all scattering apart to do things and then try to find each other. Or no?

:smile: I might possibly buy my stuff (bus pass, gym membership, etc) the day before, as I move in on 20th, but I'll be more than happy to come along when you guys buy them. It does make sense to do it together, though.
Original post by pavarotti
<br>

Any books! From memory the rooms at the bottom of campus have a bookcase, or at least space for one. Although I know my room is going to be tiny and I'm still going to buy a bookcase when I get there. My book pile is a little crazy at the minute.
I think a lot of it will also depend on how regularly you're going to return home. If only once a term, then take as many as you can. If you're going to go home every other weekend, bring a couple that are your favourites, a couple that are on your reading list, and of course ones that you've got for the course. I'm also bringing ones that I want to recommend to people, though I suppose that fits under "favourites". If you've got a book you're really previous about, I wouldn't recommend bringing it. For example, I have a copy of The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell and one of Struck By Lightning, both signed, and they're going to stay at home.
Just follow your heart :wink:

I'm only going home at Christmas and Easter, so I think I'll take your advice there. So far, just got New Harts rules and another grammar-type one, a couple of Anne Rices, and a couple of classics. Maybe I'll pack some more in, I don't know. Decisions!
Reply 843
I like the email/mobile sharing, but how do you PM?
Original post by Liz86
I like the email/mobile sharing, but how do you PM?

On TSR, you just hover your mouse over the person's name, and the option to message them comes up there. :cool:
Heey guys!

Just to clarify we're all meeting up on Sunday 21st so we can all hang out at BBQ/Acoustic which starts at Midday-6pm?

The earliest train I can get to bath with no changes (i'm more comfortable with that) means I won't be able to get to campus until about 3, which is annoying.

So that's roughly when I'm getting there and I was going to go to SU to collect wristband - I got the impression we were meeting there?

I'm getting quite nervous now, so soon! :/
Reply 846
Original post by LittleInnocence
Heey guys!

Just to clarify we're all meeting up on Sunday 21st so we can all hang out at BBQ/Acoustic which starts at Midday-6pm?

The earliest train I can get to bath with no changes (i'm more comfortable with that) means I won't be able to get to campus until about 3, which is annoying.

So that's roughly when I'm getting there and I was going to go to SU to collect wristband - I got the impression we were meeting there?

I'm getting quite nervous now, so soon! :/

It would definitely be a good idea to figure out where the SU is.
Also, did anyone else have to get any boosters? I had to get meningitis C.
Original post by Liz86
It would definitely be a good idea to figure out where the SU is.
Also, did anyone else have to get any boosters? I had to get meningitis C.

I didn't have any injections, but I suppose it's too late now. XD What time are you getting there?
So I've given my number out to those of you who have Twitter. As it's the day before. *heavy breathing* Oh God, it's tomorrow. I'm insanely nervous!
I'm in!!
I've moved into my room, met my housemates. They're all really great. I can't really sleep at the moment (super loud music from the SU marquee) but it's giving me a chance to tidy and unpack a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It sounds like we might all be around between 1 and 2 today? Shall we maybe meet up? I need to head down anyway so shall I suggest Commons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,

Maybe none of you will be on here since uni has finally begun, but I completely forgot to post this before. I just graduated from Bath Spa's creative writing programme, and am still around Bath, so feel free to ask me any questions about the course, show you around the city, or so on. I know it can all be a lot to take in at the beginning, and some of you might be feeling a little directionless in your classes. Don't worry! Happens to all of us.

Although I'm friendly and generous and would happily go out of my way to guide a lost little fresher around, that's not the real reason I came on here. I'm beginning a small informal writing workshop, similar to what you'll be doing in classes. And we could use a few more members. This is part writing-practice and part social club. The hope is that we'll have tight-knit circles of writers who are all familiar with one another's work. This'll make it possible for us to help each other out with our writing in much more detail than we could if we just read a few stray pages. Ideally you'd have the beginnings of a novel you're working on, but we'll also help you through that initial idea if you don't have anything yet. Really, what we want now is to get a group of writers together and see what we can make happen.

I'm really hoping to expand this beyond our current tiny clique, so please let me know if you'd be interested in joining our writing group. We usually meet in a pub, too, if that helps sway anyone over.

All my best to you, and good luck with the course!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending