Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Creative Writing Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by LittleInnocence
It is exciting! Heey creative writing peeps! :smile:
Maybe closer to the time, we ought to tell everyone what we're all wearing (test of our descriptive skills hehee) that way I wont go around to random people and be like "Hey are you a member of The Student Room? What's your username? Are you doing creative writing?" (even though I might be soo nervous to do that anyway)

It'll feel like something out of cheesy move, "I'll be wearing a red carnation." xD Yeah, we can make sure we mention something identifiable that we'll have with us on the day. And make sure we're meeting somewhere specific so when we get there we can just politely ask. (But since you mentioned usernames: my real name is Vicky, a much less weird name to be asking for :smile:)
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Original post by Saidani
It'll feel like something out of cheesy move, "I'll be wearing a red carnation." xD Yeah, we can make sure we mention something identifiable that we'll have with us on the day. And make sure we're meeting somewhere specific so when we get there we can just politely ask. (But since you mentioned usernames: my real name is Vicky, a much less weird name to be asking for :smile:)

Hi Vicky :smile: I got the impression from your username that you were called Ani cos of Saidani :smile:

I don't know whether to reveal my real name just yet, (I have a thing about revealing personal data) but Innocent is how my friends best describe me, hence my username and I have always been very small and shorter than all my friends hence Little! :biggrin:
Reply 82
Hi Vicky :smile: I got the impression from your username that you were called Ani cos of Saidani :smile:

I don't know whether to reveal my real name just yet, (I have a thing about revealing personal data) but Innocent is how my friends best describe me, hence my username and I have always been very small and shorter than all my friends hence Little! :biggrin:

Ha, no, I just really liked the name Saidani and decided I'd have it as a username for online. It's actually the surname for one of my characters. Nothing to do with my actual name. :smile:
I can understand that, I don't mind sharing my name but anything else is usually kept back.
:biggrin:
Original post by Saidani
Ha, no, I just really liked the name Saidani and decided I'd have it as a username for online. It's actually the surname for one of my characters. Nothing to do with my actual name. :smile:
I can understand that, I don't mind sharing my name but anything else is usually kept back.
:biggrin:

Ah right. That's a cool surname! One of my character's for something is Clevenger and I like how that sounds! Usually I struggle coming up with surnames for characters, but that's what I love about random name generators and sims3 :biggrin: I can visually create a character in my head, then I create them on sims3 so they appear more real! :smile: I probably will reveal my real name at one point (probs closer to september when we all meet, hopefully) but ATM, i don't want to just yet! :smile:
Reply 84
Ah right. That's a cool surname! One of my character's for something is Clevenger and I like how that sounds! Usually I struggle coming up with surnames for characters, but that's what I love about random name generators and sims3 :biggrin: I can visually create a character in my head, then I create them on sims3 so they appear more real! :smile: I probably will reveal my real name at one point (probs closer to september when we all meet, hopefully) but ATM, i don't want to just yet! :smile:

Ooh, that does sound cool. I'm usually pretty bad with surnames, so a lot of my characters done have any. I use FakeNameGenerator if I'm really stuck, a host of other generators. Yes! The Sims is a really fun way to get characters down, or design any houses they live in.
Fair enough, for now usernames are good. :smile:
Have to admit, I'm getting really excited for September. The campus is going to be amazing for getting inspiration. I'm hoping we have some nice weather so I can sit by the lake and get some writing done. I didn't get a chance to look at it when I went for my open day...
Original post by Saidani
Ooh, that does sound cool. I'm usually pretty bad with surnames, so a lot of my characters done have any. I use FakeNameGenerator if I'm really stuck, a host of other generators. Yes! The Sims is a really fun way to get characters down, or design any houses they live in.
Fair enough, for now usernames are good. :smile:
Have to admit, I'm getting really excited for September. The campus is going to be amazing for getting inspiration. I'm hoping we have some nice weather so I can sit by the lake and get some writing done. I didn't get a chance to look at it when I went for my open day...

That's pretty much what I use sims3 for! creating my characters and their houses! :biggrin:
Yes the campus is beautiful! I got to go twice, which was great, once for their open day then again for the applicant visit day, the location and the views never cease to amaze me, I hope to get lots of inspiration too, it seems like a very inspiring place! :smile:
Reply 86
That's pretty much what I use sims3 for! creating my characters and their houses! :biggrin:
Yes the campus is beautiful! I got to go twice, which was great, once for their open day then again for the applicant visit day, the location and the views never cease to amaze me, I hope to get lots of inspiration too, it seems like a very inspiring place! :smile:

What was the applicant visits day like? I didn't get to go. Hope I didn't miss out on anything.
Very inspiring place indeed! My school before I went to sixth form was an old manor house, and had some lovely grounds, so I'm happy to be going back to an inspiring setting for Uni. :smile:
Original post by Saidani
What was the applicant visits day like? I didn't get to go. Hope I didn't miss out on anything.
Very inspiring place indeed! My school before I went to sixth form was an old manor house, and had some lovely grounds, so I'm happy to be going back to an inspiring setting for Uni. :smile:

The AVD was fine, I went just after the new Commons building was built and opened so the current students giving the tours seemed a bit confused! It was similar to the open day, really, campus tours, talks about accommodation, finance, uni life, student union then we had the subject talks in various places in the commons building (which is very modern and snazzy! it has a huge tall wall full of TVs!) I found it helpful going again as I got to ask questions and everyone was friendly, helpful and the whole event was very well organised!
Reply 88
The AVD was fine, I went just after the new Commons building was built and opened so the current students giving the tours seemed a bit confused! It was similar to the open day, really, campus tours, talks about accommodation, finance, uni life, student union then we had the subject talks in various places in the commons building (which is very modern and snazzy! it has a huge tall wall full of TVs!) I found it helpful going again as I got to ask questions and everyone was friendly, helpful and the whole event was very well organised!

Ah, so it was just another chance to do what you could at the Open Day? That's good, I was worried that it was something entirely different. Sounds like it was fun. :smile:

Random question: Has everyone got their Student Finance sorted yet? I know the deadline is the end of this month, and I'm curious what stage everyone's at. I only started the process at the beginning of the month, once I was certain I was in on the course I really wanted. I'm waiting on the letter with the terms and such that I need to sign, then I should be done. (Hopefully)
Original post by Saidani
Ah, so it was just another chance to do what you could at the Open Day? That's good, I was worried that it was something entirely different. Sounds like it was fun. :smile:

Random question: Has everyone got their Student Finance sorted yet? I know the deadline is the end of this month, and I'm curious what stage everyone's at. I only started the process at the beginning of the month, once I was certain I was in on the course I really wanted. I'm waiting on the letter with the terms and such that I need to sign, then I should be done. (Hopefully)

Pretty much, it felt a bit different because it was only people who had applied to bath spa who attended and when we had the campus tours, we were split into groups based on our subject!

I'm a bit confused about the deadline, this may sound like a silly question, but is the deadline for getting the student finance application finished?

If that's the case then I think I'm at the same stage you are, although I had to fill in a form to change my university details so i'm just waiting on that (i was told to put a university down and that i could change it later once i put my firm and insurances choices) so i don't need to worry about missing the deadline cos everything is sorted? Finance is one thing i'm worried about because i don't want to do anything wrong! :/
Reply 90
Pretty much, it felt a bit different because it was only people who had applied to bath spa who attended and when we had the campus tours, we were split into groups based on our subject!

I'm a bit confused about the deadline, this may sound like a silly question, but is the deadline for getting the student finance application finished?

If that's the case then I think I'm at the same stage you are, although I had to fill in a form to change my university details so i'm just waiting on that (i was told to put a university down and that i could change it later once i put my firm and insurances choices) so i don't need to worry about missing the deadline cos everything is sorted? Finance is one thing i'm worried about because i don't want to do anything wrong! :/

I think it's just a deadline for getting as much done as possible. I think the deadline is pretty much there as a 'if you start after the this date there's no guarantee that everything will be in order for when you start Uni.' If you're already pretty much done everything is fine. I get the worry though, the last thing I want is to have finance issues when Uni starts. Enough's going to be happening without worrying about that.
Original post by Saidani
I think it's just a deadline for getting as much done as possible. I think the deadline is pretty much there as a 'if you start after the this date there's no guarantee that everything will be in order for when you start Uni.' If you're already pretty much done everything is fine. I get the worry though, the last thing I want is to have finance issues when Uni starts. Enough's going to be happening without worrying about that.

Yes I'm exactly the same! Ok, that's reassured me a bit, i always stress about deadlines (and time. Time has always made me anxious and panic ever since I was younger. I'd get myself in a state if I think my sister and I would be late for school.)

I'm one of those if we arrange to meet at half 7, for example, I will leave early to be there for half 7 whereas some people I know would leave at that time, you know?

Onto a different subject: I randomly had some inspiration to write about a girl who worked at a cafe. So I started googling cafe name generator and I was about to create a menu on Word for the cafe... I'm so strange. I'll probably use it for something, don't know what. Maybe I can use it in my current story which i'm still stuck with?
It is exciting! Heey creative writing peeps! :smile:
Maybe closer to the time, we ought to tell everyone what we're all wearing (test of our descriptive skills hehee) that way I wont go around to random people and be like "Hey are you a member of The Student Room? What's your username? Are you doing creative writing?" (even though I might be soo nervous to do that anyway)

Sounds good to me!
Reply 93
Yes I'm exactly the same! Ok, that's reassured me a bit, i always stress about deadlines (and time. Time has always made me anxious and panic ever since I was younger. I'd get myself in a state if I think my sister and I would be late for school.)

I'm one of those if we arrange to meet at half 7, for example, I will leave early to be there for half 7 whereas some people I know would leave at that time, you know?

Onto a different subject: I randomly had some inspiration to write about a girl who worked at a cafe. So I started googling cafe name generator and I was about to create a menu on Word for the cafe... I'm so strange. I'll probably use it for something, don't know what. Maybe I can use it in my current story which i'm still stuck with?

I'm okay-ish at timing, but I know damned well that the day Uni starts I'm going to be a wreck and get there way earlier than needed.
I know exactly! I give myself at least half hour more than needed to get anywhere, just in case. ^^;

Not strange, just inspired! I really want to write about a boarding school. No clue why, I've just always wanted to have something based around one.

In other news, I've received my Student Finance Terms. They've been signed and all I need to do now is send them off. Then I'm done! I have to admit, SF has been fairly painless to do. I'm confused why I've only ever heard bad things about the process. It really wasn't bad at all.
Hi! Am I a little late to the party?
I've firmed Bath Spa for Creative Writing and Publishing and am now struggling through Student Finance (neither of my parents were emailed and both are self-employed). I've been to the campus three times now and, well, I haven't visited one yet which is better for inspiration. So beautiful.
Are you guys interested in novels, short stories, poetry, plays? What's the range here?
Original post by Saidani
I'm okay-ish at timing, but I know damned well that the day Uni starts I'm going to be a wreck and get there way earlier than needed.
I know exactly! I give myself at least half hour more than needed to get anywhere, just in case. ^^;

I'm exactly the same, i'll probably get there first day of uni ridiculously early too! Then my family are often like "you'll be too early, you don't need to be there at this time." and i'm like "but i WANT to be there, I don't care how early! Early is better than late!"
Original post by pavarotti
I've firmed Bath Spa for Creative Writing and Publishing and am now struggling through Student Finance (neither of my parents were emailed and both are self-employed). I've been to the campus three times now and, well, I haven't visited one yet which is better for inspiration. So beautiful.
Are you guys interested in novels, short stories, poetry, plays? What's the range here?

Hi :smile: Nope not late at all!
The campus is amazing, isn't it?
Yes i'm interested in all you mentioned, more so towards novels, poetry and plays, but i'm really up for anything, scriptwriting, different genre writing, historical writing. I just want to broaden my skills, become a better writer and become a published author! I think the only way to achieve that is by doing Creative Writing! (I never even knew it was a degree until I started the whole 'applying to uni' process!)
What about you? What sort of writing are you interested in?
Reply 97

Hi! :smile: (I'm also doing Creative Writing/Publishing!)
I write novels and short stories mostly, since I'm most comfortable with them. But I'm hoping to learn about screenplays as well, since that's been an interest for a while now. And anything else. I'm up for anything. You?

@LittleInnocence: xD Yup, yup. I have that conversation too. Glad it isn't just me. :tongue:

Hi there and welcome! :smile: I've been on one campus tour, and even that was incredible and made me fall in love with the place. It's probably one of the most beautiful places I've been to. I've only just got my Student Finance sorted, and it's taken 3 months. My mother doesn't know how to use a computer so I had to do everything for her, including gathering her evidence...*sigh*
I'm mainly interested in novels and finished my first book last year. But I've also entered a few short story competitions. Some plays are cool, but only if they're not Shakespeare. (Sorry to all the Shakespeare fans out there. I just don't mesh with him.)

What about you? Looking forward to being with us all? Hope to see you in September!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chidori96
Some plays are cool, but only if they're not Shakespeare. (Sorry to all the Shakespeare fans out there. I just don't mesh with him.) QUOTE]

:frown: what don't you like about shakespeare?!

I love shakespeare, i wish i'd read a few more of his plays other than the ones i've been taught in school!

What sort of plays do you like? I'd love to write one! (hopefully without turning it into a song/dance musical which may be highly likely coming from me!) :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending