The Student Room Group

US bans Nigella - are they right?

Scroll to see replies

A friend of mine was barred from re-entering the US for more than 25 years until she finally gave in and paid an unpaid parking ticket she got on her last day in the country as a student. (Just thought I'd chuck that in there.)
Reply 41
Original post by kidomo
This. She should have been prosecuted and asked where she obtained the drugs from.

The same place her other rich friends and prosecutors get it from I presume.
Reply 42
Original post by DVPM
Rubbish.

From the US Dept of State Foreign Affairs Manual,
"an alien may ... be found ineligible if he or she admits
to committing the essential elements of a drug violation
in lieu of a
conviction under INA 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(II) "

You see, I can understand that DVPM, but what you fail to see is that the official rules are quite unfair.
I'm still amazed that Full of Suprieses has somehow not strayed this thread off as somehow trying to blame the Conservatives.
Reply 44
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Let's also not forget that the laughably archaic US immigration card filled in on every flight asks about convictions and arrests, not personal public confessions, or 'moral turpitude' whatever the **** that is.

I just googled it. Pretty much all the results are "What the **** is moral turpitude?" with the explanation being "It's something the US came up with with no definite description, basically it means to act in a way that's against the norms of society".

So to commit a crime of moral turpitude is to do something immoral. I think.
Original post by RtGOAT
Land of the free

Land of the free from crime presumably
Its funny... Nigella Lawson gets banned for admitting to snorting coke, but Obama became president despite confessing in his 1995 memoir to buying 'a little bit of blow' occasionally.
Original post by DVPM
Not sure when you last got a flight to the US but these cards were withdrawn (replaced by ESTA) several years ago.

More than two years ago! :blush:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
A friend of mine was barred from re-entering the US for more than 25 years until she finally gave in and paid an unpaid parking ticket she got on her last day in the country as a student. (Just thought I'd chuck that in there.)

:lolwut:

Good grief. A spell in Guantanamo was probably next. Not paying your parking fines. Clearly grounds for capital punishment in many states.

Ironic, isn't it, that all US Embassy staff in London consistently refuse to pay congestion charge, on the spurious grounds that it is a 'tax', when almost every other country in London does pay.
Good

if the UK can ban Chris Brown for punching Rhianna

she should also be banned.
:lolwut:

Good grief. A spell in Guantanamo was probably next. Not paying your parking fines. Clearly grounds for capital punishment in many states.

Ironic, isn't it, that all US Embassy staff in London consistently refuse to pay congestion charge, on the spurious grounds that it is a 'tax', when almost every other country in London does pay.

I'm not sure of the legal terminology, but they treated it as a deliberate attempt to flee justice.
Original post by MatureStudent36
I'm still amazed that Full of Suprieses has somehow not strayed this thread off as somehow trying to blame the Conservatives.

Thanks for the idea. My name does not have spaces in it, btw.

I picked this story because Nigella is hardly some tub-thumping radical, dangerous criminal or hijab-wearing jihadi. Au contraire. She comes from a top Tory family and is a high member of what passes for our 'establishment'. If the US feels happy treating someone like her like that, what about the rest of us?

I actually feel that the US is not a safe place for UK citizens to try to visit now. The legal codes they operate under are harsh, random and unaccountable.
Reply 52
Original post by uberteknik
Quoted from the Independent newspaper:
"The US asks people if they have ever been arrested or convicted in relation to illegal drugs. It can decide to prevent entry to the country even if the person involved was never charged.

If they're that tight, surely Justin Bieber should have been refused entry by now. As a non-American citizen he's been charged with drug offenses on American soil. Deport him!
Thanks for the idea. My name does not have spaces in it, btw.

I picked this story because Nigella is hardly some tub-thumping radical, dangerous criminal or hijab-wearing jihadi. Au contraire. She comes from a top Tory family and is a high member of what passes for our 'establishment'. If the US feels happy treating someone like her like that, what about the rest of us?

I actually feel that the US is not a safe place for UK citizens to try to visit now. The legal codes they operate under are harsh, random and unaccountable.

I know she's not. But the US have rules for entry into their country.

I'm hazarding a guess that her past drug issue has also been compounded by the fact that she lied on her ESTAR visa waiver form. The yanks don't take too kindly to people telling fibs on official federal documents that are designed to protect US Citiziens.
This is nothing new. John Lennon was denied entry to the US in both 1969 and 1970 for a history of drug possession.
Original post by MatureStudent36
I know she's not. But the US have rules for entry into their country.

I'm hazarding a guess that her past drug issue has also been compounded by the fact that she lied on her ESTAR visa waiver form. The yanks don't take too kindly to people telling fibs on official federal documents that are designed to protect US Citiziens.

Along with millions of other people who tell white lies and little fibs about basically harmless stuff on those forms.

It's puzzling to see people trying to side with the US on this one, when it's so patently obvious that they intend calculated snubs and belittlements against us.
Original post by kumon
The same place her other rich friends and prosecutors get it from I presume.

Probably. But I doubt all rich people get it from one place:s-smilie:

Look at Paul Flowers.
Reply 57
Along with millions of other people who tell white lies and little fibs about basically harmless stuff on those forms.

Whether you, I, or anyone else, thinks the stuff on those forms is 'basically harmless' is irrelevant.
The USA are entitled to make their own decisions about the criteria under which they allow admission to their country.

The 'rules' are set out quite clearly. If anyone breaches these they have no grounds to then whinge about not being allowed entry. People have to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions and behaviour.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
Shocking news. The US Dept of Homeland Security have banned Nigella Lawson from flying to the US, because of her recent drug-taking confession.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/10740907/Nigella-Lawson-barred-from-boarding-US-bound-flight.html

She hasn't been convicted of any crime, but apparently this doesn't matter to the US authorities.

I'm not a huge fan of Nigella, but it does raise a general point - that yet again, the US adopts a high-handed, authoritarian approach towards Britain and British citizens, which is not reciprocated. Numerous Hollywood stars and US personalities who have drug-taking histories have been welcomed to the UK.

We should stop letting the US bully us like this. We should start retaliating against these fairly regular insults. Another example is the way they demand extradition of our people on trumped up minor offences.

Nigella admitted cocaine use so whether she was convicted or not is neither here nor there to the US authorities. The US penalties for drug use are exponentially more severe than in Britain. I don't agree that just because Britain lets US celebrities with a history of drug use into the UK, then the US should let in Brit celebs with drug use history. That seems like a patronising expectation. The US have the right to let in who they want or not. Maybe the UK is too fickle about who they let into the UK, especially when it comes to celebs?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 59
America legalise guns for idiots to utilise, whilst a woman who once took drugs barred from a country? Ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending