The Student Room Group

Psychology

What are the advantages of Asch's conformity to minority/majority influences?
Reply 1
Anyone help me, It's for my level 3 BTEC course and I really need it. I know all the weaknesses but its harder to find advantages of this theory.
His was the 5 confederates and 1 participant right? I revised this for unit two on Thursday haha. I'd say the advantage from the study was that it demonstrates compliance, as the participant knew the right answer but said the wrong one like the confederates ( privately vs publicly). For minority/majority influence, the influence would be that because the majority stuck together and said the same thing, the 1 participant didn't want to feel like the only one saying something different so the majority, being consistent with their answers, persuaded the participant to confirm to them.
Hope that helps :smile: x
Reply 3
Original post by atiyaaloveszaynx
His was the 5 confederates and 1 participant right? I revised this for unit two on Thursday haha. I'd say the advantage from the study was that it demonstrates compliance, as the participant knew the right answer but said the wrong one like the confederates ( privately vs publicly). For minority/majority influence, the influence would be that because the majority stuck together and said the same thing, the 1 participant didn't want to feel like the only one saying something different so the majority, being consistent with their answers, persuaded the participant to confirm to them.
Hope that helps :smile: x

Wow thanks a bunch, it makes sense to me. I have finally done it. Aww u had an exam for this bless, I have a course work on it with a whole another bunch of theories like Zimbardo, Milgram, Asch and Festinger which I found the hardest.
Aw you're more than welcome hun! Yeah I'm doing AS psychology and it's all exams so I've been revising all the studies. For the AO2s you need to explain the advantages and disadvantages as well as ethical issues so yeah hope it helped. If you need any more help, let me know, always here! :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest