The Student Room Group

Tottenham,Southampton,Everton and Arsenal?

What teams from other leagues play similar to them?

Which of these teams do you recommend I support? I like fast passing play whether it be on the counter attack or via open fast free flowing attacking footie,i like teams which play like dortmund,athletico madrid,Roma and Juventus.

What would you say should be their most ideal/realistic targets in the coming summer?

Describe their styles of play?

Which manager do you like best?

How long do you reckon it could take for them to be challenging for the title?(be realistic)

If you were the manager of one of the teams above,who would you sell and buy-please justify your reasons e.g. fav player.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Well, focussing on who you might support, may I start by asking where you're from?
Reply 2
I live in South West London!
Well then just pick any London team.

Chelsea?
Reply 4
I dislike some of their values e.g. it seems that when they buy players its just for no reason e.g. lukaku-since hes now on loan and they dont want him back.Arsenal i dislike since they seem very 1 dimensional.
Reply 5
Original post by scrawlx101
What teams from other leagues play similar to them?

Which of these teams do you recommend I support? I like fast passing play whether it be on the counter attack or via open fast free flowing attacking footie,i like teams which play like dortmund,athletico madrid,Roma and Juventus.

What would you say should be their most ideal/realistic targets in the coming summer?

Describe their styles of play?

Which manager do you like best?

How long do you reckon it could take for them to be challenging for the title?(be realistic)

If you were the manager of one of the teams above,who would you sell and buy-please justify your reasons e.g. fav player.

Thanks!

Spurs fans tell themselves that they have a big tradition for skill-full offensive players but in my lifetime Ive never really seen that. They usually have one worldie players like Berbatov, Modric, Bale to get the punters excited though. Atm the closest thing they have is probably Eriksen or maybe Lamela.

Arsenal historically were a byword for brutal efficiency and defensive football that sort of came with the club's reputation for being the dour, serious London club that actually won things whilst WHU, Spurs, Chelsea would **** around with the fancy dandy stuff whilst not being expected to win anything. Whereas the directors at Arsenal would sack any manager who ****ed around like that as embarrassing the club. Dour Scottish or Northern managers were all the rage at AFC pre-AW tbf.

Obviously under Wenger that's changed but you can sort of divide his reign down into 2 periods. 1997-2007 we tended to play on the counter with more power and pace and you can see that change 2007-2014 since Wenger replaced flying, direct strikers like Henry/RVP with 'hold up men' like Adebayor/Bendtner/Giroud who's job it is essentially to get the CAMs buzzing around. Also Wenger sort of developed an obsession with CAMs from 2007 after Henry left and Cesc Fabregas became the star man and Wenger really couldnt seem to get enough of the diminutive little passers who were expected to build it up slowly. Around 2009 this reached the verge of parody with Cesc/Hleb/Rosicky putting pass after pass after together on a seemingly never ending train. Strange because if you look at the great AFC sides, we tended to play without any CAMs! Youd have Bergkamp as an advanced CF playing in front of 2 powerful box-to-box -players like Vieira/Gilberto/Parlour/Petit with a focus on direct wing play from Pires/Ljungberg.

So a 'good' AFC goal around 2005/06 was direct, powerful and typically on the counter, something like this

Whereas these days itll be more like this

Around 2011 we had a strange hybrid with RVP/Nasri being very direct and power in the middle from Song/Diaby but again with Cesc Fabregas as the main man and a focus on possession.

Currently Arsenal arent playing good football to watch at all, we **** around with the ball(2 passes sideways, 2 passes forward and then 2 back:rolleyes:) because we havent got any pace in the team due to injuries and personnel issues. But you can probably expect Wenger to bring in a new striker and B2B player to fix that.

Everton and Southampton: Currently playing some of the best stuff in the country and relatively similar in style except Soton use wingers more and EFC wing backs more for width and crossing in Coleman/Baines with their 'wingers' being relatively narrow. Suspect this is a hangover from the Moyes era more than anything as he played hoof the ball with powerful, physical CMs and Moyes is trying to evolve that system gradually. Southampton press defensively very well whereas EFC play deeper but again that's more likely a personnel issue for Martinez in his first year.

Managers:

Spoiler

Title chances

Spoiler

Transfers:

Spoiler

Reply 6
what teams from other leagues play like the teams i mentioned? i like pacey sides,with good counters and essentially fast build up play what team do you recommend i support?
Reply 7
Anyone?
Original post by Zürich
x

Half the Everton team is on loan? lol? 3 players I think.

Four if you count Troure, but hes just been injured 24/7.
Reply 9
What teams do fast pacey counters+quick build up play in BPL like dortmund or athletico?
Reply 10
Anyone???
I think Zurich has helped you out a lot there, do some of your own research?

Managers, players, playing styles, title credentials and values within a football club change. Pick a team, stick with it, and put away the Log-rhythm charts your trying to base your decision on.
I live in South West London!

AFC Wimbledon?
Reply 13
Original post by nase14_aldayz
I think Zurich has helped you out a lot there, do some of your own research?

Managers, players, playing styles, title credentials and values within a football club change. Pick a team, stick with it, and put away the Log-rhythm charts your trying to base your decision on.

okay I shall decide,by 9:00 you will a response as to what team i support
okay I shall decide,by 9:00 you will a response as to what team i support

You should add Liverpool and Swansea to the list. Swansea underpeformed this season mostly due to Europa (massive injury list for small squad) imo. Liverpool played the best football in the country this season on a small budget.
Reply 15
Me + liverpool are a no no dnt get me wrong i like tgem but i cant see mysrlf in a pool shirt
Reply 16
Who does your family and mates support?
Reply 17
Come to West Ham mate.
Reply 18
I have gone to Everton!
lol, could anyone imagine just picking a team like that?

Quick Reply

Latest