The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I am ashamed to admit it but I applied for it this week :redface:

Hopefully I shall be employed by the time it comes through next week though *fingers crossed*

To be eligible you need to be able to work and to be actively seeking work. You need to ring your local JobCentre and they will ask you questions regarding why your claiming, when you last worked etc. You'll need your NI number handy. Once the initial phone call is over they'll arrange a time to call you back for a more in-depth dicussion. For me, this was arranged in 4 parts:

1) Jobs I've held in the past 12 months - this includes contact details, the hours I worked, how much I earned, my pay etc

2) My Uni course - details about it

3) Bank details - for where they are to pay the money in

4) Student loan information - when I applied for it, how much I applied for, the amount I received, the date and amount of last payment.

Finally I arranged an appointment to see an advisor so I can sign an agreement, and also to look at vacancies they have.

There's information for you on this page:

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/Jobseekerallowance/index.html

Sorry its not too in-depth, but hope that was of some help.

Shellx
Reply 2
You are a student, out of work (summer etc) but looking for work?
Does this count??!
I know nothing of this stuff.
well nefore anyone asks i've worked since i was 16 and throughout my a levels i've been working a minimum of 25 hours per week but i had to leave as they wouldn't allow me time off for an exam. i've been looking for full time work over my gap year but there isn't much around atm. and my mum earns less than she would on benefits and doesn't give me money for food or anything so i have no choice until i can find work. thanks bomshell i'll rep u after midnight :smile:
Reply 4
50 pund a week. go down have an interview
Reply 5
You can't claim if you're on summer holidays from uni
Reply 6
I did it for a week! Then I got a job. All through summer last year I was looking for a job and had no luck. After results day I ended up taking a gap year otherwise I wouldnt have bothered with JSA me thinks. In October I went to the job centre and signed on..they wanted to know about past jobs (I have none..well none that i could have been taxed on anyways lalala ahem), ways i've been seeking work e.g. handing out CVs, looking on websites (e.g. debenhams), looking in the newspaper, recruitment agencies..just to check I was actively looking, bank details so they could put the money in. And every 2 weeks I was supposed to go into the job centre and talk to someone about how it was going..wasn't going anywhere as the job centre was crap! I was seeking work of my own accord, just like I had been previous to joining up with the job centre (the only good thing was getting money for it!) Then my recruitment agency got me a job! yayness!

In the end i got about £60 from JSA..however you can actually get taxed on it as it counts as an income :O
Reply 7
paintedfolk
You are a student, out of work (summer etc) but looking for work?
Does this count??!
I know nothing of this stuff.

You can't anymore but I think years ago you actually could! The everyone realised how ridiculous the idea was and clamped down on the regulations.

I think, anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending