The Student Room Group

What kinds of people study economics?

Hello,
I am a student from the DACH area and I was just wondering (as the title might give away) what kinds of people start studying Economics in the UK?
This question arises for me because most people that I know here in middle Europe who study Economics or a similar subject do it either because they don't really know what they want to study, or because the think that they can avoid the strains of a demanding course (lots of math, huge workload etc.) like engeneering/medicine by studying Economics (while still getting decent salaries afterwards...)
Most students here in Germany leave no doubt that studying Economics (or german Wirtschaftswissenschaften) is much easier than the above- mentioned subjects.
Is that similar in the UK? Here Economics is known for rather attracting money-grubbing (but still lazy) students than the brilliant one's.

I hope you can help me with this questing, thanks in advance.
Reply 1
People who have an interest in current events and find the study of politics [by itself] to be irrelevant and superficial?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
and yet Economics and Politics seems to be one of the most popular joint degrees with economics? (at least that's the impression I got after browsing some university websites...)

Of course I don't want to generalise but certain programmes always tend to attract certain people... I just want to know if it's possible to compare the UK with my own experience when it comes to Economics.
People who studied it at A level
Reply 4
Doesnt make my point any less true though. I'm studying a variation of P&E because I find politics doesn't give you a proper and whole perspective on current affairs where economics is just as crucial.
Reply 5
Cool ones
Reply 6
nerds
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Pulse.
Doesnt make my point any less true though. I'm studying a variation of P&E because I find politics doesn't give you a proper and whole perspective on current affairs where economics is just as crucial.

well if i'd think that the study of politics was "irrelevant and superficial" I certainly wouldn't choose politics as a part of my joint degree...
Reply 8
Original post by foreign
well if i'd think that the study of politics was "irrelevant and superficial" I certainly wouldn't choose politics as a part of my joint degree...

Which is why I'm doing a variation of it that is economics heavy. Hope I've answered your question; helpful or not lol.
Reply 9
Original post by Pulse.
Which is why I'm doing a variation of it that is economics heavy. Hope I've answered your question; helpful or not lol.

okay, thank you very much.
As a student could you tell if your subject is seen as less demanding or difficult than Science/Technology courses (for example)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending