The Student Room Group

struggling with a level options

I'm planning on doing psychology, biology and Spanish for my a levels, but after being in much denial, I know that I just physically don't have a science brain.

I just know that I will be absolutely miserable if I do biology, but apparently doing science a levels are the only way into a successful career path. I don't want to do subjects such as business or math's either.

Everyone is always so serious about a level options and you are basically branded unintelligent if you don't choose a science subject for a levels, if not by people at school then by family. I don't want to do a subject I know I will fail and be miserable in, but I'm not sure I have any other choices.

Apparently humanities subjects are kind of deemed useless (I don't think they are) , but I know that I won't be able to do a science a level.

Does anyone know of any good a level combinations that don't include science that can still keep my options open in terms of careers? I definitely want to do Spanish and psychology.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by meoow
I'm planning on doing psychology, biology and Spanish for my a levels, but after being in much denial, I know that I just physically don't have a science brain.

I just know that I will be absolutely miserable if I do biology, but apparently doing science a levels are the only way into a successful career path. I don't want to do subjects such as business or math's either.

Everyone is always so serious about a level options and you are basically branded unintelligent if you don't choose a science subject for a levels, if not by people at school then by family. I don't want to do a subject I know I will fail and be miserable in, but I'm not sure I have any other choices.

Apparently humanities subjects are kind of deemed useless (I don't think they are) , but I know that I won't be able to do a science a level.

Does anyone know of any good a level combinations that don't include science that can still keep my options open in terms of careers? I definitely want to do Spanish and psychology.

hi, im currently in year 13 so thought id jump on and share a few thoughts :smile:
humanities subjects are not useless and there is nothing wrong with not doing science or maths. the main priority is that you actually enjoy the subjects you are studying as you are more likely to do well in your exams and have a more enjoyable experience overall as ultimately it is grades, not necessarily your subjects, that matter when you apply for university.
im currently studying French, history and politics, I find that they work very nicely together.
I would recommend pairing Spanish and psychology with a subject such as maybe sociology, religious studies or politics if you're very keen to avoid maths and science.
what do you think you'd like to study later on?
Reply 2
If you are into creative subjects, I would also recommend A-Level Art, Media Studies, Film Studies or Design and Technology to help keep your options open.

To piggy-back off erin's answer, it also depends on what you want to study later on if you decide to go university or pursue higher education.
Reply 3
Original post by erin11
hi, im currently in year 13 so thought id jump on and share a few thoughts :smile:
humanities subjects are not useless and there is nothing wrong with not doing science or maths. the main priority is that you actually enjoy the subjects you are studying as you are more likely to do well in your exams and have a more enjoyable experience overall as ultimately it is grades, not necessarily your subjects, that matter when you apply for university.
im currently studying French, history and politics, I find that they work very nicely together.
I would recommend pairing Spanish and psychology with a subject such as maybe sociology, religious studies or politics if you're very keen to avoid maths and science.
what do you think you'd like to study later on?

Thank you for your reply, to be honest the problem is I don't know what I want to do because I change career paths every week
Reply 4
Original post by meoow

Who said Humanities subjects are useless lol? Most of the modern PMs have a PPE degree (Philosophy Politics and Economics). Maybe try out Economics if you have it in ur school, it's highly respectable and is the no. 1 subject that gets people into high earning jobs (careers include: banking, political scientists, economists, accounting etc). If you don't have Econ maybe think of trying out Politics, History or even Geography.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest