The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matchdayG

For once in your life, could you elaborate on this please? Explain how Wenger's net spend directly contributed to you building a new stadium. If you don't want to give a detailed answer (which I'd much prefer you did, so you can clarify this for all of us), then at least answer the following two questions:

Pay off* the stadium. We had to take loans out our board wanted to pay off debt payments every year, meaning that we had to make the money before we had to pay it off, I think that's pretty well-known? Not sure what exactly you want elaborated. Here's a more detailed graph of our debt and how its reduced:

There's good debt and bad debt. Its nice that clubs like Chelsea, Madrid and United are running their clubs on massive debt, but this is more or less a benefit to the shareholders. Arsenal have healthy debt (i.e. healthy because returns can be expected which pays off the annual debt payment).

In grossly simple terms healthy debt creates greater growth.
Original post by DurhamXI
You have no concept of the club's plans. You know **** all about what Wenger does and quite frankly the club would be worse off than United if we sack him. We would have to recruit a whole team of people just to do all the things he does for this club. You have no ****ing idea.

Looool! Please enlighten me on these plans that you are so clued in on! :rolleyes: Finish 4th, scrape into the CL somehow, sell dreams in the summer, trolley dash on the 31st, knock all the new season optimism out of the fans before Christmas, buy no one in January, get spanked by a proper team in the CL Round of 16, rise for the wreckage that is 7th and somehow manage to finish 4th?!....again.

You got Arsene on speed dial? What does he do? I'll tell you what he does, too much of what he shouldn't be doing. Do you think Mourinho, SAF or any other top class managers run their clubs from top to bottom? No, because that is not their job, they are required to ensure that the club as successful on the pitch, not in the boardroom or in Asia with shirt sales. Arsene is involved in doing too much, and stuff that doesn't even concern him, I remember him saying a few years ago that he was in a 2 hour meeting about the catering at The Emirates, could you imagine Mou doing that? Could you ****! He would slap you if you even suggested it. When DD left, he took that responsibility of doing Dean's job and also being the manager, he hired Dein's successor ffs, how exactly do you expect Gazidis to stand up to the man that hired him, he along with all the others on the board are yes men to Arsene.

No we wouldn't. We have the nucleus of a good young squad with a lot of potential, the infustrutcure is already in place and we also have £100m in the bank, along with CL football next season (hopefully) United need a complete rebuild, the squad is ageing and there CEO appears to be worse than Gazidis, imagine that!! You AKBs seem to act as if Arsene were to leave we would go tumbling down to League 2 ffs. You have no ****ing idea.
(edited 10 years ago)
Vain why you acting like a 4 year old kid

you support the club not the people inside it...

pisses me off when people think Supporting Arsenal means you must be Wenger in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Even though I defend Arsene I still think he should leave end of season. I just want De Boer and Bergkamp to come.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 784
Original post by Peggles_*
Looool! Please enlighten me on these plans that you are so clued in on! :rolleyes: Finish 4th, scrape into the CL somehow, sell dreams in the summer, trolley dash on the 31st, knock all the new season optimism out of the fans before Christmas, buy no one in January, get spanked by a proper team in the CL Round of 16, rise for the wreckage that is 7th and somehow manage to finish 4th?!....again.

You got Arsene on speed dial? What does he do? I'll tell you what he does, too much of what he shouldn't be doing. Do you think Mourinho, SAF or any other top class managers run their clubs from top to bottom? No, because that is not their job, they are required to ensure that the club as successful on the pitch, not in the boardroom or in Asia with shirt sales. Arsene is involved in doing too much, and stuff that doesn't even concern him, I remember him saying a few years ago that he was in a 2 hour meeting about the catering at The Emirates, could you imagine Mou doing that? Could you ****! He would slap you if you even suggested it. When DD left, he took that responsibility of doing Dean's job and also being the manager, he hired Dein's successor ffs, how exactly do you expect Gazidis to stand up to the man that hired him, he along with all the others on the board are yes men to Arsene.

No we wouldn't. We have the nucleus of a good young squad with a lot of potential, the infustrutcure is already in place and we also have £100m in the bank, along with CL football next season (hopefully) United need a complete rebuild, the squad is ageing and there CEO appears to be just as bad as his job as Gazidis! You AKBs seem to act as if Arsene were to leave we would go tumbling down to League 2 ffs. You have no ****ing idea.

walloftext
cliffs pls
walloftext
cliffs pls

You AKBs, smh.

Oh and 3 paragraphs, which are entirely correct.
(edited 10 years ago)

No we wouldn't. We have the nucleus of a good young squad with a lot of potential, the infustrutcure is already in place and we also have £100m in the bank, along with CL football next season (hopefully) United need a complete rebuild, the squad is ageing and there CEO appears to be just as bad as his job as Gazidis! You AKBs seem to act as if Arsene were to leave we would go tumbling down to League 2 ffs. You have no ****ing idea.

aren't mourinho and ferguson known for exactly running their clubs from top to bottom especially ferguson?
Reply 787
Original post by little_tom
Pay off* the stadium. We had to take loans out our board wanted to pay off debt payments every year, meaning that we had to make the money before we had to pay it off, I think that's pretty well-known? Not sure what exactly you want elaborated. Here's a more detailed graph of our debt and how its reduced:

There's good debt and bad debt. Its nice that clubs like Chelsea, Madrid and United are running their clubs on massive debt, but this is more or less a benefit to the shareholders. Arsenal have healthy debt (i.e. healthy because returns can be expected which pays off the annual debt payment).

In grossly simple terms healthy debt creates greater growth.

I've seen these graphs before, I don't really understand them in the context of Wenger having no money for transfers/spending no money on tranfers.

This doesn't explain how spending of, say, £20m per year could have not have been done with loans?
Original post by baconbutty
aren't mourinho and ferguson known for exactly running their clubs from top to bottom especially ferguson?

Not in the way Arsene does. He's involved in every single little detail, like I said, do you really see Mou or SAF in such a meeting about catering and where in the Diamond club the carpeting should go? He has no one to help him at all, and as a consequence the performances on the pitch have slipped (not just this season but the decline and slide over the last 9 years on a whole) and that is the most important thing after all.

Either way, the AKBs and WOBs will never agree, and the conversation has been done to death.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 789
You AKBs, smh.

Oh and 3 paragraphs, which are entirely correct.

Cliffs or gtfo. Your choice baby.
Cliffs or gtfo. Your choice baby.

Hahaha, you're funny. You know I'm right and you don't actually have anything to say!

Poor babes.

But like I said to Butty, this conversation has been done to death you're an AKB so I don't expect you to see your viewpoint, I'm a WOB who once was lost by Arsene Wenger but now, I see and have felt the sun on my skin after stepping out of the darkness that is AW. I SEE THE LIGHT, I BELIEVE!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 791
Hahaha, you're funny. You know I'm right and you don't actually have anything to say!

Poor babes.

But like I said to Butty, this conversation has been done to death you're an AKB so I don't expect you to see your viewpoint, I'm a WOB would once was lost by Arsene Wenger but now, I see.

No, I genuinely can't be bothered to read that Great Wall of China text. Cliffnotes should be attached.
Original post by matchdayG
I've seen these graphs before, I don't really understand them in the context of Wenger having no money for transfers/spending no money on tranfers.

This doesn't explain how spending of, say, £20m per year could have not have been done with loans?

The building of the Emirates stadium was to create long-term financial self-sufficiency. Our match day revenue has increased massively, commercial deals are starting to roll in (Puma, Emirates, etc.). I don't see how taking out more loans every year was the answer, when our board clearly wanted to make as much profit as possible over the last decade...

Its not that Wenger hasn't spent money, its not like we got Nasri, Cazorla, Podolski, Arshavin, etc. on the cheap. Its just that we couldn't make any lucrative signings, like Ozil, which has hindered our ability to compete with the likes of City, Chelsea and United.
No, I genuinely can't be bothered to read that Great Wall of China text. Cliffnotes should be attached.

I would have wrote a lot more, I'm actually in the middle of knocking out a 2,000 word essay! But I guess your attitude just sums you AKBs up nicely then, head in the sand. But yeah, if you cba, the I can't be arsed. Both gooners, but just on different ends of the spectrum in regards to AW, nothing wrong with that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by little_tom
The building of the Emirates stadium was to create long-term financial self-sufficiency. Our match day revenue has increased massively, commercial deals are starting to roll in (Puma, Emirates, etc.). I don't see how taking out more loans every year was the answer, when our board clearly wanted to make as much profit as possible over the last decade...

Its not that Wenger hasn't spent money, its not like we got Nasri, Cazorla, Podolski, Arshavin, etc. on the cheap. Its just that we couldn't make any lucrative signings, like Ozil, which has hindered our ability to compete with the likes of City, Chelsea and United.

Plus the initial deals we got when we moved into the Emirates hampered us, they were front loaded because we needed money upfront and were short changed by the likes of Nike and Fly Emirates.

People seem to think it's Gazidis' job to sign players but it's not, he's the commercial side of things, and he somehow managered to get £150m out of Puma and the same from Emirates so fair play to him on that basis I guess! Dick Law however......kmt.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kruz
I don't think Arsene Wenger gives a toss if a few kiddies on an internet forum don't rate him tbh. At the end of the day he has won the league, how many of you kids on here can say you've won the league before.

I won a cup competition whilst at college. Does that count? :tongue:
Reply 796
Be a difficult game for you lot against us next week.

Do you think you'll win 7-0 or 8-0?
Not in the way Arsene does. He's involved in every single little detail, like I said, do you really see Mou or SAF in such a meeting about catering and where in the Diamond club the carpeting should go? He has no one to help him at all, and as a consequence the performances on the pitch have slipped (not just this season but the decline and slide over the last 9 years on a whole) and that is the most important thing after all.

Either way, the AKBs and WOBs will never agree, and the conversation has been done to death.

i have absolutely no idea what trivial meetings they attend and i doubt anyone else here does either
Original post by Kruz
I don't think Arsene Wenger gives a toss if a few kiddies on an internet forum don't rate him tbh. At the end of the day he has won the league, how many of you kids on here can say you've won the league before.

The same can be said about any manager tbh. How many on here can say that they have managed a professional team? (not on Football Manager)
Original post by TM94
Be a difficult game for you lot against us next week.

Do you think you'll win 7-0 or 8-0?

7-3 last time it happened, Ba and Marveaux :redface: scored for you guys. Ba, not sure where he's gone :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest