The Student Room Group

How to do well in s1

I'm really hoping to do well in maths AS but statistics is bring my grade down. Please can someone tell me how to prepare for this exam. I've been doing past papers but their not going so well.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous 14
I'm really hoping to do well in maths AS but statistics is bring my grade down. Please can someone tell me how to prepare for this exam. I've been doing past papers but their not going so well.

I think stats is more about understanding the key points so you can apply them to any question. Don't rely on learning a routine as there will be at least a couple of questions that will be different to normal on the papers.
After you think you know the key points just keep doing the past papers, you'll get there eventually. (I got 100 ums in s1 btw :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Bloxorus
I think stats is more about understanding the key points so you can apply them to any question. Don't rely on learning a routine as there will be at least a couple of questions that will be different to normal on the papers.
After you think you know the key points just keep doing the past papers, you'll get there eventually. (I got 100 ums in s1 btw :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm finding permutations and combinations difficult. Could you please give me some advice/revision tips for them.

well done for doing so well. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous 14
i'm finding permutations and combinations difficult. Could you please give me some advice/revision tips for them.

well done for doing so well. :smile:

I also found them to be the most difficult part of S1. I cannot really remember what exactly I did to finally crack them but I would suggest just practice practice practice. Go through all the past papers just picking out the perms and coms questions and having a go at them. When you get to one you get wrong, look at the mark scheme in detail to find out exactly where you went wrong and what you needed to do to get the question correct, make sure you understand the method they used.
If you can't understand something after looking at the mark scheme, go and ask your teacher for help :smile:
Is this edexcel, because I've never heard of permutations or combinations... Is there another name?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending