The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lady Comstock
Particularly when they decide to return. Counter-terrorism officers have already expressed concern about those returning radicalised.

:rolleyes:

This of course coming from the same government which has continually backed the rebel forces and helped to fund and arm them. Well now the chickens are coming home to roost...

But look on the bright side, Assad may yet defeat the rebels and imprison or kill these 400 potentially radicalised Britons, thus solving our little dilema. Now that would be quite a stroke of irony.
Reply 2
Doesn't matter what should be done, nothing will be done
Reply 3
The vast majority of them have no intention to come back.

As for those who do, I doubt they're a threat to the UK.
Reply 4
Original post by AbuTSR
The vast majority of them have no intention to come back.

As for those who do, I doubt they're a threat to the UK.

They have been trained in military combat, have now likely killed, and clearly express radical beliefs which will only have worsened with the company they are around in Syria.

I'm highly doubting they will return to the UK and carry on living like nothing happened.
Its funny how the media has total control of how people think.

Most of them go to help there fellow brothers and sister in islam that are suffering. Im sure sure this would seem like a heroic trait if the word "muslim" was taken out. Yes I do agree there a few nutters that are mentally ill and dont represent islam at all, but they are a very small minority :smile:.
Reply 6
Original post by Lady Comstock
So they just intend to settle in Syria when they finish fighting? Leave their British families, assets and lifestyles behind?

From the reports I've read pretty much.

The majority seem keen to stay whereas a few might come back.

If they're Islamically grounded and they went with the purpose only to fight Assad, they'll have no intention of coming back to fight in the UK. It's a load of nonsense that they will come back and fight here and it's just fear mongering tactics.

Original post by JG1233
They have been trained in military combat, have now likely killed, and clearly express radical beliefs which will only have worsened with the company they are around in Syria.

I'm highly doubting they will return to the UK and carry on living like nothing happened.

Would you say the same about someone British joining the IDF and coming back to the UK?
Reply 7
Original post by AbuTSR
Would you say the same about someone British joining the IDF and coming back to the UK?

Yes, i would be suspicious of anybody who is apparently so patriotic towards another country they leave this one to fight there, but then for some reason then decide to return. If somebody left the UK to fight in Syria, i would question why they would wish to return to the UK after considering it is clearly not where the allegiance seems to lie.

However considering the amount of terrorist attacks committed by Muslim extremists in comparison to Jewish extremists in the West i would have to be more wary of the Syrian fighters.
(edited 10 years ago)
why the heck are 400 british muslims fighting for another country? why would they risk their lives for such a remote purpose? people are dying all the time in other countries, why syria in particular?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
why the heck are 400 british muslims fighting for another country? why would they risk their lives for such a remote purpose? people are dying all the time in other countries, why syria in particular?

In islam we are all brothers and sisters, no matter what colour you are, what country you're from, what position you have. Would you not defend your brother or sister if they were suffering and being oppressed?
Original post by presidential_
In islam we are all brothers and sisters, no matter what colour you are, what country you're from, what position you have. Would you not defend your brother or sister if they were suffering and being oppressed?

...what about everybody else? what about non-muslims?
Reply 11
Original post by JG1233
Yes, i would be suspicious of anybody who is apparently so patriotic towards another country they leave this one to fight there, but then for some reason then decide to return. If somebody left the UK to fight in Syria, i would question why they would wish to return to the UK after considering it is clearly not where the allegiance seems to lie.

However considering the amount of terrorist attacks committed by Muslim extremists in comparison to Jewish extremists in the West i would have to be more wary of the Syrian fighters.

it isn't that they're patriotic to another country. It's more that they have a religious belief to help the oppressed people so they go and fight hoping to free the people from oppressors like Assad. Some may want to come back due to family issues and personally, I believe they should.

If killing off Assad fitted into the ambitions of the UK, they would've been allowed to go without any worries (remember Afghanistan against the soviets).
...what about everybody else? what about non-muslims?

Of course as a muslim you have to care for any human being muslim and non muslim. The quran mentions the killing of any innocent is like killing the whole of mankind and even the prophet muhammads time. Muslims would protect jews and christians

E.g.
The Prophet sent a message to the monks of Saint Catherine in Mount Sinai:
"This is a message written by Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, far and near, we are behind them. Verily, I defend them by myself, the servants, the helpers, and my followers, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them. No compulsion is to be on them. Neither are their judges to be changed from their jobs, nor their monks from their monasteries. No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims' houses. Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God's covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they (Christians) are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate. No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to fight for them. If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, this is not to take place without her own wish. She is not to be prevented from going to her church to pray. Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants. No one of the nation is to disobey this covenant till the Day of Judgment and the end of the world."
Of course as a muslim you have to care for any human being muslim and non muslim. The quran mentions the killing of any innocent is like killing the whole of mankind and even the prophet muhammads time. Muslims would protect jews and christians

E.g.
The Prophet sent a message to the monks of Saint Catherine in Mount Sinai:
"This is a message written by Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, far and near, we are behind them. Verily, I defend them by myself, the servants, the helpers, and my followers, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them. No compulsion is to be on them. Neither are their judges to be changed from their jobs, nor their monks from their monasteries. No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims' houses. Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God's covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they (Christians) are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate. No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to fight for them. If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, this is not to take place without her own wish. She is not to be prevented from going to her church to pray. Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants. No one of the nation is to disobey this covenant till the Day of Judgment and the end of the world."

so why say "muslims are our brothers and sisters" when technically everybody should be? what is the use of saying they were in the first place if there's no distinction? and I don't think muslims in this country would flock over to, say, a 'christian' country if there was a civil war
Reply 14
Original post by AbuTSR
it isn't that they're patriotic to another country. It's more that they have a religious belief to help the oppressed people so they go and fight hoping to free the people from oppressors like Assad. Some may want to come back due to family issues and personally, I believe they should.

If killing off Assad fitted into the ambitions of the UK, they would've been allowed to go without any worries (remember Afghanistan against the soviets).

But when they are posting on Facebook saying "Cant wait for that feeling when U just killed some1" i see them as nothing but barbaric thugs, not some sort of hero or freedom fighter. When people are posting comments saying "Killed a kaafir?!" like its some casual thing, i'm then supposed to feel comfortable they will return to the UK and just carry on like nothing happened?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2605404/Pictured-The-British-jihadists-Syria-pose-guns-ammo-severed-HEADS-post-bragging-photos-social-media.html

Assad being an oppressor is simply your opinion, the rebels have also committed countless atrocities and have been linked with groups like Al-Queda, i would not want anybody linked with Al-Queda or even religious extremism within the UK.
so why say "muslims are our brothers and sisters" when technically everybody should be? what is the use of saying they were in the first place if there's no distinction? and I don't think muslims in this country would flock over to, say, a 'christian' country if there was a civil war

Obviously because muslims belive in the same faith.

Muslims are weak as it is and are being oppressed around the world, muslims can't defend their own family let alone the whole of humanity.

If we were strong, why not? Have you not heard about the ottoman empire saving and sheltering the jews when anti semitic europe were slaughtering them?

I don't know where you are going with this but you are changing the topic...
Reply 16

Muslims are weak as it is and are being oppressed around the world, muslims can't defend their own family let alone the whole of humanity.

If we were strong, why not? Have you not heard about the ottoman empire saving and sheltering the jews when anti semitic europe were slaughtering them?

The same Ottoman empire which massacred 1.5million Armenians for being Christian?

I wasn't changing the topic, I was suggesting that you are favouring one group of human beings over another (if they were dying) on a discriminatory basis of their religion
Tbh unless Syria wants us to extradite them for crimes then we can. I don't know if it's against international law to do what they're doing, so if not that, they're not really breaking the law here.

Original post by AbuTSR

The Israeli Defence Force? You mean that sovereign armed forces of a sovereign state? What a wonderful comparison to make against a rebellion.

Let me guess, is Assad Darth Vader as well? Who's Luke Skywalker in your black and white world?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JG1233
The same Ottoman empire which massacred 1.5million Armenians for being Christian?

Please show me proof, if it was not a war where both sides were fighting then ofcourse thats evil. This could go on forever....what about the approx 100 million native americans slaughtered for living on their own land?

What about the crusades when children had there skulls bashed and women raped for being muslim?

What about the 500, 000 iraqis killed? (And it was said invading iraq was a mistake)

Don't get me started on heroshima and nagasaki.

Obviously they are all wrong, there is always gonna be a greedy or mad leader, you are going off topic with this.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending