The Student Room Group

Break up, gifts and pets

When me and my partner were together we'd buy each other gifts for valentines day birthdays and Christmas. We were living together we did this. At some point I decided to go back to my mums house and he wasnt happy about this so he took the engagement rings he bought for me off my fingers and put them down the drain.

I then moved back stupidly and when we got into a fight he smashed the sewing machine he bought for me.

We also have a pet we paid half each for and now that we've broken up he won't let me see my dog even though I paid half for him (£400 I paid)

He's also refusing to give me the playstation and gold chain I bought for him. Now even though they were gifts I think it's only fair to request them back as he damaged the stuff he had bought for me.

The total with our dog and the gifts would be about £1100 ish. Is it worth going to small claims court or is it pointless. Do I have any leg to stand on?

My other option was to be extremely petty and call the police on him as he is involved in illegally activity however if he was to go to prison we'd have to rehome the dog.
Walk away.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
When me and my partner were together we'd buy each other gifts for valentines day birthdays and Christmas. We were living together we did this. At some point I decided to go back to my mums house and he wasnt happy about this so he took the engagement rings he bought for me off my fingers and put them down the drain.

I then moved back stupidly and when we got into a fight he smashed the sewing machine he bought for me.

We also have a pet we paid half each for and now that we've broken up he won't let me see my dog even though I paid half for him (£400 I paid)

He's also refusing to give me the playstation and gold chain I bought for him. Now even though they were gifts I think it's only fair to request them back as he damaged the stuff he had bought for me.

The total with our dog and the gifts would be about £1100 ish. Is it worth going to small claims court or is it pointless. Do I have any leg to stand on?

My other option was to be extremely petty and call the police on him as he is involved in illegally activity however if he was to go to prison we'd have to rehome the dog.

So petty for what lmao
Reply 3
So petty for what lmao

Like why I wanna be petty?
Legally you don't have any claim to the gifts you bought him. They were gifts. You cannot suddenly claim after the fact that there conditions attached to that or that he has an obligation to give you the money back for them. Same probably applies to the dog. There were no conditions attached to that purchase so I'm not sure on what basis you would claim have the money back. The dog, legally, is property bought jointly just as a lot of other property would be, and it's a matter for the two of you to decide what happens to that property in the case of a break up.

You may well have a claim to the property of yours that he has disposed of or damaged. But the question is, why would you want to? Not only is this relationship plainly over, but he is clearly aggressive and violent quite apart from whatever other illegal activity he is involved in. Your priority should be to break from him as quickly and cleanly as you can, even if that means leaving the dog behind. That also means not starting potentially protracted legal claims against him. You've seen him smash property in front of you, and if I were you I'd want to make sure that he doesn't turn violent on me personally next. Get him out of your life and stay away from him.
Reply 5
Forget it. The gifts are legitimately his. The dog you’ll probably struggle to prove and let’s face it,it’s a waste of small claims court time. Just treat it all as an extremely good investment to be rid of a toxic ex
Reply 6
Like why I wanna be petty?

Ok fineee I get that but honestly, I don’t think that has any grounds at court. You’re better off getting ur boys to jump him so you can retrieve ur belongings that way. I don’t think there’s a conventional way you’ll be able able to get the ps4 back without putting up a fight, as a guy we’re very invested in game consoles so i doubt he’d give it back to u so willingly lmaooo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending