The Student Room Group

AQA AS French Revolution - What even is analysis?

I absolutely need help guys

i know all of the facts etc for both of my units, but I've realised that I absolutely am awful at analysis, can someone please give me some guidance?

To give a typical example; answering the question 'How far was the role of the parlement important in the calling of the estates generals?'

The kind of 'analysis' that I would do is the following sort of thing; The Parlement's intransigence resulted in the revolt of the nobles, which featured events such as the Day of the Tiles in Grenoble, 7th of June 1787. This led to the calling of the estates general because the unrest threatened the stability of France as a whole; prompting Brienne to recommend an estates general before resigning.

That at just doesn't seem right to me?? What am I doing wrong?? Please help, this is very frightening.
I also do French Revolution, but for A2. :smile:

For these sort of questions, you need to address how far an event was significant, so for instance in your question, it's the role of the parlement in the calling of the Estates General. So you would develop on this point, by giving specific examples and explain how/why they were significant. This is where the analysis part comes in. It's literally just a development of the point, but also weighing the evidence you're using.

You also need to address other factors which led to the summoning of the Estates General, for instance: the worsening economic situation is another important factor, so for this think about the direct/indirect taxes imposed on the poor and the grievances of the peasantry. Your evidence would be the outbreak of potato riots, the wealthy being exempt from tax etc. Then you would assess how important this factor is for the calling of the Estates General. Was it more important than the role of the parlements? Other factors also include Louis political inexperience in handling all these issues.

Hope this helps :smile:
Gosh I imagine French rev at A2 must be pretty hard!

That is somewhat helpful, thankyou. Really what I'm finding difficult is explaining why it was important; I know all of the information well, but I find that my analysis sort of floats along the causal chain until I spend 20 minutes explaining the chain of events that one specific thing triggered and how that led to the revolution which is obviously wrong.

I mean sort of like if my factor was the role of the parlement; The refusal of the parlement to accept Calonne's single land tax led to the revolution because it resulted in the fragile financial situation of France remaining unresolved. This is turn led to an urgent need for reform, for which an Estates general was necessary, because of the intransigence of the parlement. The calling of the estates general then led to the revolution because it opened the door for the bourgeoisie to grasp power.

Do you see what I mean? I understand that I don't need the stuff about the estates general but I just can't help but over-explain it because I don't know how to justify my conclusion without following the chain of events to the very point of revolution

any advice?
Firstly is parlement a french spelling? or do you mean parliament? (i will use your spelling throughout incase it is a french spelling)

'How far was the role of the parlement important in the calling of the estates generals?'- with this sort of question your argument always follows.. the role of the parlement was important in the calling of the estates generals to a large/small extent

So before you start writing you need to consider:
-What were all the main factors (3 or 4) behind the calling of the estates generals
-Which of these came about as a result of parliamentary involvement?
-Which of these came about from other involvement? (if so whom)
-What do historians say?

remember the PEE structure to a paragraph (in a really basic format)

Point- Your judgement for the paragraph
Evidence- What exists to support this judgement
Explanation- How does the evidence support the point being made

Lastly forget about developing the chain of events!- stick to the question being asked
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Gosh I imagine French rev at A2 must be pretty hard!

That is somewhat helpful, thankyou. Really what I'm finding difficult is explaining why it was important; I know all of the information well, but I find that my analysis sort of floats along the causal chain until I spend 20 minutes explaining the chain of events that one specific thing triggered and how that led to the revolution which is obviously wrong.

I mean sort of like if my factor was the role of the parlement; The refusal of the parlement to accept Calonne's single land tax led to the revolution because it resulted in the fragile financial situation of France remaining unresolved. This is turn led to an urgent need for reform, for which an Estates general was necessary, because of the intransigence of the parlement. The calling of the estates general then led to the revolution because it opened the door for the bourgeoisie to grasp power.

Do you see what I mean? I understand that I don't need the stuff about the estates general but I just can't help but over-explain it because I don't know how to justify my conclusion without following the chain of events to the very point of revolution

any advice?

Oh yes it is! I also need to learn about Napoleon and the restoration of the Bourbon Monarchy, so basically from 1776-1830!

What you've written is both good and relevant, but rather than writing about what other factors occured afterwards, always answer why . Why is that factor significant? Your first sentence of the paragraph answers this effectively. Use all of the info that you know and argue why. This is the analysis part.

Always always stick the question being asked!
Right okay, I think that helps a little :smile:

What about...

How important was the role of the peasantry in creating a crisis in French government before 1789?

'[Insert numerous peasantry facts here] Therefore the role of the peasantry was important in creating a crisis in French government because it turned the economic crisis into an issue for Louis, by contributing to uprisings like that of Grenoble, which proved to be the most prominent opposition that Louis had yet faced and warranted resolution via the Estates General.'

(P.S. Sorry for abusing your revision time like this! I've given a sheet to my teachers to grade but they haven't gotten back to me yet! )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending