The Student Room Group

What ethnicity should The Doctor be?

Poll

Which ethnicities can you accept?

So it's been a topic discussed in a secret location and I had been instructed to open this poll.

I am, of course, referring to The Doctor in the most successful sci-fi show of all-time, Doctor Who. Through its half-decade-long history, The Doctor has always been a white British male.

Which ethnicities can you accept The Doctor to be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
British tv show made for the British market by British people. Why should it be anything else than what the show runners want it to be, which is overwhelmingly a White British Male?

Making the show go through hoops would feel more like a box ticking exercise than anything else.
Original post by clh_hilary
So it's been a topic discussed in a secret location and I had been instructed to open this poll.

I am, of course, referring to The Doctor in the most successful sci-fi show of all-time, Doctor Who. Through its half-decade-long history, The Doctor has always been a white British male.

Which ethnicities can you accept The Doctor to be?

Oh really, I thought you were referring to my GP :nothing:
most successful sci-fi show of all-time

Actually technically it's not sci-fi :wink:
And I'm pretty sure it's not the most successful either. I couldn't find any evidence suggesting so. I'd guess that's Star Trek or the X-Files.
Reply 4
Original post by Maid Marian
Oh really, I thought you were referring to my GP :nothing:

We can do that in another thread.
Reply 5
Original post by Tom_green_day
Actually technically it's not sci-fi :wink:
And I'm pretty sure it's not the most successful either. I couldn't find any evidence suggesting so. I'd guess that's Star Trek or the X-Files.

Well it's the most successful children's show.
We can do that in another thread.

*adds another note to my mental list of things that clh_hilary does that is weird or creepy*
Reply 7
I don't care, as long as they can play the part well.
German.

Everything in Dr Who should be German.

A German Tardis will be vastly superior in terms of build quality standards.
How is Catholic an ethnicity?
Reply 10
You do realise half your poll isnt ethnicity
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski
British tv show made for the British market by British people. Why should it be anything else than what the show runners want it to be, which is overwhelmingly a White British Male?

Making the show go through hoops would feel more like a box ticking exercise than anything else.

How about Prince Harry?
Original post by alow
I don't care, as long as they can play the part well.

This, basically. Don't see why it should matter as long as they're good at the part :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
German.

Everything in Dr Who should be German.

A German Tardis will be vastly superior in terms of build quality standards.

And The Doctor will be bailing people out.
Reply 14
Original post by Maid Marian
*adds another note to my mental list of things that clh_hilary does that is weird or creepy*

Would you like me to open that thread now?
Reply 15
Original post by Solivagant
How is Catholic an ethnicity?

They are god's chosen people.
Reply 16
Original post by MALL COP
You do realise half your poll isnt ethnicity

*aren't
Reply 17
I don't mind, nor care (personally, I don't think it's a problem - I'll accept any). As long it's good acting, and there is also a good script I'm happy..
A south Asian Doctor who would be pretty funny
Why are religions listed? The Doctor isn't religious. Why would he regenerate into someone who was?

Either way the Doctor, being a Time Lord sorta transcends race. I don't think it matters really as long as the actor was good enough. If the the Doctor's race did suddenly change I think all the in side jokes would be fantastic.

Quick Reply

Latest