The Student Room Group

Should private schools be banned?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Morgasm19
That's a very good point, the statistics are skewed, but then you get into the problem of fewer applications from state school students and why that is.

For one thing, private school people make up 18% of people studying A Levels, and they're more likely to get A*s and As. So if you look at the proportion of people who get those grades, study the "right" subjects (many private schools don't even offer stuff like Media Studies because it isn't well respected) the amount from private schools is probably much higher.

Original post by cole-slaw
You don't send you kids to private school so they come out well-educated, you send them to private school so they come out as one of the social elite, with the plummy accent, deportment, contacts, and sense of unbridled self-entitlement that will allow them to walk into any job they like.

Its the system by which the upper classes maintain their steely grip on the reigns on the country.

It's pretty much only the best of the best private schools that give you that much of an advantage. Most of them mainly consist of middle class kids, who have just about as many connections as the average grammar school kid.

Original post by locksher
Where did you get this idea? I can't believe that the majority of students don't progress this far - I went to a state school and all but a handful went on to A-level/equivalent, and of those a large majority then went on to university. I believe the same is true for many other state schools I know, though in fairness I don't come from London or an inner city area where I suppose the statistics might be different. A lot of people who went to private schools really look down on state schools without knowing anything about them, and these assumptions really annoy me. If you're bright, you'll do well whether you're in private school or not. You're also less likely to be condescending about it.

As above, 18% of A Level students are private school kids so they do make up a significant amount, plus they're more likely to want to go to uni. (Not that I think it's 50/50 as the OP)

I have to disagree with the idea that lots of private school kids look down on state schooled kids. Most of the time it's reverse snobbery that's the problem, with people assuming they're all toffs or whatever and treating them rudely as such.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hslt
Well, to play the devil's advocate - I went to one of the top schools in the country, in fact when I left it was the top mixed state school and one of the top 10 of all schools in A levels (and I think GCSEs), it was certainly better than the local, but very famous, private schools.

However, we still lost some of our top teachers to private schools - our physics department was, for 3 years, the 'best department in the country' in any school, then all but one of our physics teachers got head hunted for big wages at private schools, with free housing, etc. Never again has our physics department scaled such heights.

Thus, even the top state schools in the country can't compete for the best teachers and private schools do have a negative impact on the quality of education received by those in state schools simply because the best teachers are drawn away from them.

I still don't think you solve the problem by banning private schools though. In this particular instance, the problem is that your state school is offering wages and benefits which do not match the quality of teacher that they have, so obviously those teachers are going to leave for whichever school does provide it.
Once again, banning private schools does not mean they are now being remunerated to match their skill, to solve the original problem. It just means that they now have nowhere to go to get fair payment (other than perhaps leaving for a different profession altogether).

When I say that state schools are failing to provide education of a sufficient quality, part of the definition of "providing education of a sufficient quality" is attracting, employing, and retaining teachers who can actually do this.

Further - another major reason for sending you children to these schools is that they meet people who then give them jobs, if these people were spread out away from each other (i.e. rich people not chucked together with rich) then the contacts made would be more 'fairly distributed'.

I wouldn't really call this more "fairly" distributed.

Allocating jobs "fairly" means giving the job to the person most suitable for it. If jobs are being offered via the medium of "contacts", then the potential of unfairness is going to be the same regardless of how these contacts are distributed amongst rich and poor.

If a job is offered to a rich person this way, it's true, many poorer, potentially more suitable candidates will miss out on it. But the same is true if is offered to a poor person this way - many richer, potentially more suitable candidates will miss out on it. More generally, by offering the job only to someone who has the employer as one of their "contacts", someone who doesn't know him but is potentially more suitable will miss out on it.

I don't think this problem has anything to do with state schools and private schools, the problem is simply due to the way in which the job opportunity is being offered.

Having said that, I went to a well known private school myself - I don't know of a single person who got their job this way though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by tazarooni89
I still don't think you solve the problem by banning private schools though. In this particular instance, the problem is that your state school is offering wages and benefits which do not match the quality of teacher that they have, so obviously those teachers are going to leave for whichever school does provide it.
Once again, banning private schools does not mean they are now being remunerated to match their skill, to solve the original problem. It just means that they now have nowhere to go to get fair payment (other than perhaps leaving for a different profession altogether).

When I say that state schools are failing to provide education of a sufficient quality, part of the definition of "providing education of a sufficient quality" is attracting, employing, and retaining teachers who can actually do this.

Come off it buddy - I don't think private schools should be banned either, but firstly, I already made the counter argument that you're trying to persuade me of, so I've probably already considered it and I'm really not impressed by your presenting me a long-winded version of what I already said.

Secondly, the very fact that those teachers were at my old school for a number of years proves that they are willing to work in the profession for state school wages.

Third, obviously state schools will NEVER be able to pay the same as private schools to teachers - ridiculous to think that they would - so it's inevitable that the existence of private schools attracts better quality teachers to the higher wages at private schools. By abolishing private schools you would clearly, 100%, get more of these high quality teachers in state schools and stop trying to pretend otherwise.

Yes some of them would quit, but some/MOST of them are there because they like teaching, not money, although they like teaching for more money than for less money - you seem to have this rich-person free market view that everybody only does anything for money, whereas a more centred sensible view is that most people choose what they want to do, and try to get as much money for it as possible and are willing to offset certain aspects of their job/lifestyle in search of more money, but not necessarily completely give it up.

A much better argument against what I said would have been - there is no formal evidence, nor compelling logic, that a couple of extra good quality teachers per state school would make a big difference to overall teaching. You could also have considered making the point that, although these teachers are brilliant for highly motivated pupils at expensive schools and top grammar schools, completely different skill sets are needed for children with low ambition/motivation.

My counter arguments to these points that you haven't made, include that good teachers would likely be attracted to top state schools, and (as I made the point earlier) top state schools are often much better than even decent private schools (i.e. pupil quality, pupil amibition - therefore well suited to these teachers'. This would have a trickle down effect, dislodging teahers of more appropriate skill sets into these more 'challenging schools' that would likely actually have a much more significant effect, both in terms of structure (where teachers work) and in terms of pupil outcomes, than just placing a couple of decent teachers in every other random school.

I wouldn't really call this more "fairly" distributed.

True, but it would have a greater chance of increasing social mobility which would, ultimately, be fairer.

Having said that, I went to a well known private school myself - I don't know of a single person who got their job this way though.

Well I went to Cambridge, I know a lot of people from private schools who got jobs that way. I also know a lot of my friends got jobs via contacts from school, and via contacts at Cambridge.

People get jobs from contacts A LOT, having contacts matters, and these contacts are found in places where rich people congregate, and I'm assuming you're an undergrad or you would have worked this one out already.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hslt
Come off it buddy - I don't think private schools should be banned either, but firstly, I already made the counter argument that you're trying to persuade me of, so I've probably already considered it and I'm really not impressed by your presenting me a long-winded version of what I already said.

Secondly, the very fact that those teachers were at my old school for a number of years proves that they are willing to work in the profession for state school wages.

Third, obviously state schools will NEVER be able to pay the same as private schools to teachers - ridiculous to think that they would - so it's inevitable that the existence of private schools attracts better quality teachers to the higher wages at private schools. By abolishing private schools you would clearly, 100%, get more of these high quality teachers in state schools and stop trying to pretend otherwise.

Yes some of them would quit, but some/MOST of them are there because they like teaching, not money, although they like teaching for more money than for less money - you seem to have this rich-person free market view that everybody only does anything for money, whereas a more centred sensible view is that most people choose what they want to do, and try to get as much money for it as possible and are willing to offset certain aspects of their job/lifestyle in search of more money, but not necessarily completely give it up.

A much better argument against what I said would have been - there is no formal evidence, nor compelling logic, that a couple of extra good quality teachers per state school would make a big difference to overall teaching. You could also have considered making the point that, although these teachers are brilliant for highly motivated pupils at expensive schools and top grammar schools, completely different skill sets are needed for children with low ambition/motivation.

My counter arguments to these points that you haven't made, include that good teachers would likely be attracted to top state schools, and (as I made the point earlier) top state schools are often much better than even decent private schools (i.e. pupil quality, pupil amibition - therefore well suited to these teachers'. This would have a trickle down effect, dislodging teahers of more appropriate skill sets into these more 'challenging schools' that would likely actually have a much more significant effect, both in terms of structure (where teachers work) and in terms of pupil outcomes, than just placing a couple of decent teachers in every other random school.

I don't think that what I said is anything like what you've already said, other than the small point I added in brackets about people leaving the profession if they're not getting paid enough. But that wasn't the main point that I made at all.

There are several reasons why I don't think private schools should be banned. I agree with the ones you've mentioned above for example. My intention in the previous post was not to provide all of them. Rather, it was to explain why I don't think that the "devil's advocate" argument that you provided is in any way valid for banning private schools. It certainly demonstrates that there is a problem, but it provides no indication whatsoever that banning private schools is a suitable way to solve it.

There is a problem with state schools, providing comparatively sub-standard levels of education, for various reasons. And while your argument explains one of those reasons (teachers leaving to go elsewhere, due to better pay), the cause of the problem is not merely "the existence of private schools". Fundamentally, it is the short supply of teachers of that quality, and wages not high enough to reflect that. I have not tried to pretend that abolishing private schools wouldn't cause these teachers to work in state schools. But even if we did that, it wouldn't solve the fundamental problem I just mentioned. Unless the aim is to just sweep the issue under the rug rather than actually solve it, this argument doesn't demonstrate that banning private schools has any use.

True, but it would have a greater chance of increasing social mobility which would, ultimately, be fairer.

I don't think social mobility, in and of itself, makes the system any fairer. It is meritocracy that makes the system fairer, and social mobility is a natural effect of that.

The suggestion about rich contacts being distributed more evenly through society might increase social mobility, but it doesn't increase meritocracy. It would still be the case that the most suitable candidate potentially can't get the job because the employer isn't one of his contacts. This type of social mobility does not make anything fairer, because is not merely the product of meritocracy - rather, it is enforced separately.
Reply 124

The suggestion about rich contacts being distributed more evenly through society might increase social mobility, but it doesn't increase meritocracy. It would still be the case that the most suitable candidate potentially can't get the job because the employer isn't one of his contacts. This type of social mobility does not make anything fairer, because is not merely the product of meritocracy - rather, it is enforced separately.

I think a random allocation of anything is much fairer than an allocation based on some arbitrary irrelevant characteristic (e.g. richness), neither of which are as fair as meritocracy.

Neither would this be 'enforced' in the way you seem to be suggesting.

Explain to me why this is wrong?
Original post by hslt
I think a random allocation of anything is much fairer than an allocation based on some arbitrary irrelevant characteristic (e.g. richness), neither of which are as fair as meritocracy.

Neither would this be 'enforced' in the way you seem to be suggesting.

Explain to me why this is wrong?

Why do you think that allocating something randomly is fairer than allocating it according to a an arbitrary characteristic which is randomly assigned at birth? In terms of fairness it's exactly the same. People receive or don't receive whatever it is you're allocating as a result of factors entirely beyond their control, based on an equal amount of luck in both cases. There is no more meritocracy involved in one situation than the other.

A person has to either be lucky enough to born as one of the X% of the wealthiest children, or be lucky enough to be one of the X% of children favoured by your alternative random allocation method. Whatever your formula for determining who gets it and who doesn't happens to be, it's unfair either way on whomever ends up missing out.

Banning private schools for the sake of evenly distributing contacts is another instance of hiding the symptom, not solving the problem. The problem is that method by which these jobs are offered is inherently unfair - on the basis of contacts rather than merit.

Randomly distributing contacts between rich and poor doesn't change that, or make it more fair. It just gives the illusion that it is fair, because the lack of a trend in characteristics of which people are getting the job makes it look like "anyone can do it". But not anyone can. Only those who were randomly lucky enough to know the right contacts can.

In order to increase fairness, the course of action is not to ban private schools, but to find a way to make the allocation of these jobs more meritocratic, because fairness is purely dependent on that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 126
Why do you think that allocating something randomly is fairer than allocating it according to a an arbitrary characteristic which is randomly assigned at birth? In terms of fairness it's exactly the same. People receive or don't receive whatever it is you're allocating as a result of factors entirely beyond their control, based on an equal amount of luck in both cases. There is no more meritocracy involved in one situation than the other.

A person has to either be lucky enough to born as one of the X% of the wealthiest children, or be lucky enough to be one of the X% of children favoured by your alternative random allocation method. Whatever your formula for determining who gets it and who doesn't happens to be, it's unfair either way on whomever ends up missing out.

Banning private schools for the sake of evenly distributing contacts is another instance of hiding the symptom, not solving the problem. The problem is that method by which these jobs are offered is inherently unfair - on the basis of contacts rather than merit.

Randomly distributing contacts between rich and poor doesn't change that, or make it more fair. It just gives the illusion that it is fair, because the lack of a trend in characteristics of which people are getting the job makes it look like "anyone can do it". But not anyone can. Only those who were randomly lucky enough to know the right contacts can.

In order to increase fairness, the course of action is not to ban private schools, but to find a way to make the allocation of these jobs more meritocratic, because fairness is purely dependent on that.

But the problem is that it's a self perpetuating arbitrary characteristic isn't it - it makes it not a random arbitrary characteristic as you suggest.

If we consider fairness as equal distribution, or the equal distribution of opportunity then Random allocation is far fairer than your self perpetuating cycle that would do nothing more than create a progressive rich-poor divide where being rich enables you to become richer, and being poor prevents you from getting equal opportunities.

Further - if we're going to choose a random arbitrary characteristic why not choose blue eyes, or white skin. Do you still consider this fair? Or are we now moving in to discrimination? Why if this is discrimination is your allocation of the best opportunities to rich people not discrimination against the poor.

If you can't see the moral difference between allocation by actual random processes, allocation by truly arbitrary characteristics, and your version of 'fair' then I hope you never have any position of power!

Discrimination is the differential treatment of people due to an arbitrary characteristic. You are apparently all for this...

True random allocation results in no discrimination, it might not be perfect but it's fairer than discrimination.

Hit me with your next argument that lacks understanding of basic logic, foresight, and understanding of socially acceptable legoethical principles

Posted from TSR Mobile
This would only make access to the best state schools even harder for people from less well-off backgrounds. They'd end up competing for places against people whose parents will happily pay for tutors or move house or whatever. Parents always want the best for their children and I think that's fine. You can't ban people from paying tutors or buying loads of textbooks or anything and that also gives people an advantage. To be honest I think it is nice that some people do value an education so much that they'd say rather send their child to a good school than buy a slightly bigger house or nicer car.

State schools just need to be improved i.e. make the worst schools better as opposed to getting rid of some of the best schools. When Gove says he'd like to be able to walk into a school and not be able to tell whether it's state or private he's obviously talking complete nonsense because funnily enough if you have parents paying double, triple or more per pupil than the government you're going to get better facilities and whatnot.
No, they shouldn't be banned..
And to be honest I don't think it's unfair that we don't all get the same education, if you have the money then yeah why not go to private school?
Original post by arfah
I personally think they should be banned. It is unfair that everyone does not get the same education, and people are practically buying their/ child's education.
I wonder what everyone else's view is on this?

Free schooling is the privilege, not private schooling.
But the problem is that it's a self perpetuating arbitrary characteristic isn't it - it makes it not a random arbitrary characteristic as you suggest.

If we consider fairness as equal distribution, or the equal distribution of opportunity then Random allocation is far fairer than your self perpetuating cycle that would do nothing more than create a progressive rich-poor divide where being rich enables you to become richer, and being poor prevents you from getting equal opportunities.

Further - if we're going to choose a random arbitrary characteristic why not choose blue eyes, or white skin. Do you still consider this fair? Or are we now moving in to discrimination? Why if this is discrimination is your allocation of the best opportunities to rich people not discrimination against the poor.

If you can't see the moral difference between allocation by actual random processes, allocation by truly arbitrary characteristics, and your version of 'fair' then I hope you never have any position of power!

In the jobs market, I don't consider "fairness" to be adequately defined as the equal distribution of opportunity. Fairness is a situation in which, to as great an extent as possible, the best person for the job gets it. And there's no reason why this method of random allocation you've suggested brings us any closer to that.

I don't consider it fair to discriminate based on wealth, having blue eyes or whatever. But your proposed system is, objectively speaking, just as unfair as that. If you want to tackle this unfairness, you must aim at solving the problem of jobs being allocated via "contacts", and find a way of making the system more meritocratic than that, not just hide the problem under the rug.

Discrimination is the differential treatment of people due to an arbitrary characteristic. You are apparently all for this...

True random allocation results in no discrimination, it might not be perfect but it's fairer than discrimination.

Hit me with your next argument that lacks understanding of basic logic, foresight, and understanding of socially acceptable legoethical principles

What you're suggesting is also discrimination based on an arbitrary characteristic though - namely the characteristic of who ends up being a winner of your random allocation process. The whole concept of selection in the jobs market based on who happens to have a useful contact, rather than who is best for the job, is discriminatory. And this is just as much a problem in your proposed system as it is in the current one. So what you've suggested offers no improvement.

Discrimination based on characteristics assigned at birth (blue eyes, white skin, wealth etc.) sounds wrong, because it's a bit of a societal taboo. But the reason it is wrong is because these are factors beyond anybody's control, and they have no bearing on how well someone is able to do the job, which makes it unfair to discriminate based on them. However, a random allocation process suffers from the same unfairness - once again, people are getting or being refused jobs based on elements beyond their control, which have no bearing on how well they do the job. It's just as bad as what we had in the first place. It just gives the appearance of being more fair, and that's it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think the private school system sums up England to be honest. A country run by pompous idiots.
(edited 9 years ago)
No certainly not. It is very unfair on those who attend private schools. Also, a lot of people who go to private schools are there for a reason. So what if the parent wants a decent education for their child? Many of private schools have been running for hundreds of years so it is unwise to ban private schools.
You lot don't get it. The main reason people send their children to private school is so that they don't have to mix with the riff raff. A better education is just a plus.
No.

Besides if you get rid of private schools people are just going to hire tutors or relocate to a better area with better schools, it's never going to be completely fair so instead of complaining about private schools why don't we improve state schools instead of getting rid of the better schools
Reply 135
No they should not be banned. Banning them will just deprive even more children of a good education. Do these children deserve a better education then state schoolers? No way. There will be some who argue that they do because their parents worked hard. But hard work does not always equal wealth and these children are not their parents.

Children of benefit dependant parents therefore are just as deserving of private school education. But to ban it outright would be counterproductive. The only way to eliminate private schools in a fair and progressive way is to increase the standard of education in state schools so high that private schools become obsolete and disappear of their own accord. We are a very long way away from achieving this
No because the world isn't a communism. If you want everyone to have the same education start a third-world countries like Congo not UK.
I think they should be banned. They give an unfair advantage to children- people born into different families but who are of equal intelligence will never have the same opportunities in life. The child from the wealthier family is guaranteed to have more opportunities not because of something they have done but because of how much their parents can afford to spend on educating them.

It would be much better to have state-controlled middle schools (places distributed based on where you live) followed by high schools (places gained through an academic selection process).
Original post by Octohedral
Why is it different to the random luck of being born intelligent / born into a stable family? These things are inherently unfair - very few people succeed outside their allotted circumstances (and I have the utmost respect for them), most just drift along with what they are given. If you instead consider the sum of wealth and intelligence, you still get an arbitrary figure that each child is born with and has no control over.

Please note, I'm not saying that because something is unfair it shouldn't be made more fair - I'm just saying I don't think this would make it more fair. I think it would lower the overall standard, and decrease freedom unnecessarily. There may be other arguments for educating intelligent children to the best of their potential (eg it's useful to society), but I don't think they have anything to do with fairness.

Well, that's a good point, but I still think that children should be treated as individuals and not as reflections of their parents. Allowing wealthy people to pay for higher standards of education strengthens the divides between the wealthiest and poorest people. I suppose it may be better to first work on improving education in state-funded schools, but I don't think private education is a good idea long-term.
Original post by It'sIrrelevant
Well, that's a good point, but I still think that children should be treated as individuals and not as reflections of their parents. Allowing wealthy people to pay for higher standards of education strengthens the divides between the wealthiest and poorest people. I suppose it may be better to first work on improving education in state-funded schools, but I don't think private education is a good idea long-term.

I agree on it reducing social mobility. I'm actually playing devil's advocate to a small extent - I've always found it odd that people correlate intelligence with deserving success, but it's a bit of a nihilistic way of looking at things.

I suppose I just don't like the idea of an individual set of parents not being able to give their child the best education they can (of course, in practical terms abolishing private schools wouldn't stop parents doing this).

Interestingly, I have a Polish friend who says that over there private schools are seen as places where 'troubled' students go, and the norm is the state system - someone may correct me here, but if true it suggests that a state dominated system could work, without banning private schools.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending