The Student Room Group

Mobile phones being banned at start of class

My high school has recently introduced a policy where they confiscate everyone’s mobile phones at the start of each class. I’m wondering about the legalities of this as multiple students do not consent to their personal property being confiscated despite doing nothing wrong as well as concerns over health, fire safety and other problems
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by 505arabella
My high school has recently introduced a policy where they confiscate everyone’s mobile phones at the start of each class. I’m wondering about the legalities of this as multiple students do not consent to their personal property being confiscated despite doing nothing wrong as well as concerns over health, fire safety and other problems

Our school policy from when I was in year 7 to 11, was phones to be in your lockers. You could only use your phone at the start of school (before your had to arrive for your first session) or after school. In year 12 and 13, you could only use your phone for studying in your private study sessions.
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Our school policy from when I was in year 7 to 11, was phones to be in your lockers. You could only use your phone at the start of school (before your had to arrive for your first session) or after school. In year 12 and 13, you could only use your phone for studying in your private study sessions.

I’m wondering whether they’re allowed to actually keep it in their possession without a reason for it being taken
Reply 3
Original post by 505arabella

lHaving a mobile can be a good idea. But rather than 'confiscating' phones at the start of every class, surely you could see if there is an option to get allocated phone locker pods where you could leave it before classes. Phones can be good to have for security or walking home etc but having phones go off in class or having students texting and diverting attention using them in classes is a nightmare. Worse than daydreaming out of the window.

School rules are there for a reason and apply to everyone. You are at school to learn not to play around on your mobile? Its always easy to look for reasons why you should not comply with school rules, but you could always find a different school, one where maybe the achievement levels aren't so good because the behaviour boundaries are so lax or the rules are never enforced?
Reply 4
It is totally legal. There is no test for the school to satisfy outside of it being a reasonable and proportionate act undertaken or imposed by a person with sufficient authority.

Quick Reply

Latest