The Student Room Group

Should private schools be banned?

I personally think they should be banned. It is unfair that everyone does not get the same education, and people are practically buying their/ child's education.
I wonder what everyone else's view is on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Should private healthcare be banned, by the same reasoning? What about first class seats, is it unfair that people can buy better seats?
On the end of not receiving private education it may seem unfair, but there's very little substance to any arguments against it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by mike666666
Should private healthcare be banned, by the same reasoning? What about first class seats, is it unfair that people can buy better seats?
On the end of not receiving private education it may seem unfair, but there's very little substance to any arguments against it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good point. :rolleyes:
Reply 3
No they should not be banned
I definitely think more academic scholarships should be given; private education should really be based more around academic skill and not whose parents can afford it
Reply 5
I don't think segregating a certain class of people is ever a good thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
But reliable judgement of academics can't really be done until 11/12, and maybe not even then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a service at the end of the day. Private schools often have teachers with first class degrees or Oxbridge degrees. Until the govt makes it harder for people to become teachers, and stop letting in people with rubbish A levels and 2.2 degrees who will end up teaching in the local comp, this service will carry on being sold and people will carry on buying it.
Definitely shouldn't be bad. They are normally much better standards schools

Posted from TSR Mobile
No we should try and raise the standard of state schools rather than drag good schools down to their level. Admittedly some state schools are excellent.

Moreover, universities take into account how good/bad your school was so it's not unfair in that sense.
Unless we plan to use the oh-so-accurate IQ test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The difference in quality between private schools and state schools would not disappear if you got rid of private schools. You'd simply make it all rubbish instead.
Reply 12
Houses and cars are different to education. Education impacts your future. All OP is saying that it's unfair children with rich parents have a head start, even if they're not that clever, above poorer but intelligent children. Everyone is born equal and not property of their parents, so I think everyone should receive the same education.

I think what you put in to education is what you get out. Going to a state school with a positive attitude will benefit you if you put the work in, alongside supportive teachers, family and intelligence.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Instead of removing the privilege from those at private schools, the focus should be on making state schooling as good a private schooling. Then market forces will get rid of private schools anyway. For people to be prepared to spend a massively significant amount of money to educate their child privately, there must be huge issues with the state education system.
Nah I think state schools should just be better. I go to a private school and I'm damn happy that I do because the state schools are pretty ****. Even my private school is 1.5 hours away but my parents wanted me to get a good education.

If state schools had good quality education, then who would send their kids to private schools anyways? And even if they did, there wouldn't be any difference in quality of education so it wouldn't matter.

Edit: Just realised the person above me said exactly the same thing.
Original post by arfah
I personally think they should be banned. It is unfair that everyone does not get the same education, and people are practically buying their/ child's education.

The damage is usually done before kids even start primary school. Private schools may be a symptom but they are not the cause of inequality.

I go to state school. I've got an offer from Cambridge. How did that happen if all state schools, as a later poster alleges are, s**t? And if he / she does not have a Cambridge offer presumably Mummy & Daddy have been wasting that 20 or 30 grand a year on private school fees.
Reply 16
Moved to educational debate seeing as this thread is a debate about education. :h:
Original post by arfah

I don't think they should be banned (then again, I've never been to a state school... they seem far too rough and educationally malnourished, at least the ones I've seen), so I'm bound to be biased and therefore cannot offer a completely open, neutral perspective on your views.

But the world is now running off what I call the "premium principle", ie. anything is available to you for free, however there is always the "premium" service that you pay extra for.

However, this does not mean all private schools are better quality - I'm sure there are some fantastic state schools out there, just as I know there are some terrible private schools.

At the end of the day, the school has to be right for the child, private or not.
err education should not be about social mobility it should be about learning the skills required to function in society, and to use ones mental faculties for their own pleasure (if working class culture wasnt so **** we wouldn't need mobility), issues of social mobility should come second and tbh society doesnt really need so many graduates anyways.
Reply 19
I think so, its the childrens equivalent of Bilderberg and Illuminati .

All these kids from the best public schools all know each other when they go into corporate world,regulation,media and politics and then just protect each other .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending