The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St. Andrews Open Day

On the website, it says that the medicine open day is on June 14th and that other ones aren't until October. I find this quite odd as I would expect that the university would understand that many of us would want to have a look around before writing our personal statements and such.

Is this June open day completely off limits for those of us wanting to read subjects other than medicine?
Reply 1
Original post by ILovePancakes
On the website, it says that the medicine open day is on June 14th and that other ones aren't until October. I find this quite odd as I would expect that the university would understand that many of us would want to have a look around before writing our personal statements and such.

Is this June open day completely off limits for those of us wanting to read subjects other than medicine?

It seems that is only for medicine, and that it would therefore be full of medicine talks and so on.

St Andrews has 8 visiting days a year, with 3 of them being in April which are often attended by those students who will be applying for the year after, so I'm afraid you've missed the visiting days for before you start writing your statement (assuming you start before October). If you want, you can always ask about attending an individual visit, although you wouldn't get any subject talks or anything there.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Ecosse_14
It seems that is only for medicine, and that it would therefore be full of medicine talks and so on.

St Andrews has 8 visiting days a year, with 3 of them being in April which are often attended by those students who will be applying for the year after, so I'm afraid you've missed the visiting days for before you start writing your statement (assuming you start before October). If you want, you can always ask about attending an individual visit, although you wouldn't get any subject talks or anything there.

Actually last year, after many requests from myself and others, the University ran a Saturday visiting day in June. I have not heard anything about whether this will be repeated this year, but it would be worth asking.
Reply 3
Original post by St Andrews CompSci
Actually last year, after many requests from myself and others, the University ran a Saturday visiting day in June. I have not heard anything about whether this will be repeated this year, but it would be worth asking.

Yes, it was done on a trial basis but there doesn't seem to be any word yet on whether or not that will be happening again. Hopefully so, as it was very well attended! :smile:
Original post by Ecosse_14

I didn't realise they had some that early - I would have gone to them :frown: I'm actually surprised that my school didn't let us know. I'll probably arrange an individual visit some time in July. Thanks for your help!

Original post by St Andrews CompSci

It would be really useful if they arranged another one. I'll keep my eyes open for it. Thank you for your help!
You can do an individual visit, if you ask they'll give you a meeting with a professor in the department you're interested in them and you can chat with them and ask any questions you have. Although if you're coming in July there might not be many around.
Original post by ElizabethRG
You can do an individual visit, if you ask they'll give you a meeting with a professor in the department you're interested in them and you can chat with them and ask any questions you have. Although if you're coming in July there might not be many around.

Oh of course.. term time ends before July :frown:

It's just that I have nine other open days in June and early July - I don't think I have the time to go all the way up to Scotland :frown:

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending