The Student Room Group

Product Design Innovation Challenge

Hey,
So I have this 6 hour innovation challenge for product design on 7th May and kinda just need a hand on the amount of detail I should put in as I have found it tricky to put in a lot with the time pressure...
Reply 1
Hi, I am retaking the innovation challenge on the 7th May too! In regards to the amount of detail - do not bore the examiner. I suggest making brief notes and bullet points, as well as slightly detailed designs. Do 8-10 simple designs (this will get you in the highest mark-band) with details on manufacturing processes, materials, sustainability, measurements, ergonomics and production.

Make sure you have a lot of things in your job bag. If we all have the same scenario/pre-release then I suggest you start concocting ideas about what they should ask. In addition to this, do not stray away from your area of expertise. I did and ended up reading the entire question wrong (and failing!)

If you need any specific points then let me know - I am aiming to obtain an A in this exam. My mock that I have done recently seems to be in a top mark band too.
Reply 2
I have this exam too but I have become stuck on what to put in my job bag, I've found quite a lot of things but I think I should have some more...I've not done a timed mock on this so I'm not really sure what to expect so I want to have as much in my job bag as I can so I have plenty of inspiration. Any ideas would be appreciated!:smile:
what have you put into your job bag I'm so lost ... HELP PLEASE :smile:
i need help on what to add in my job bag, please help :smile:
Original post by leonorago
Hi, I am retaking the innovation challenge on the 7th May too! In regards to the amount of detail - do not bore the examiner. I suggest making brief notes and bullet points, as well as slightly detailed designs. Do 8-10 simple designs (this will get you in the highest mark-band) with details on manufacturing processes, materials, sustainability, measurements, ergonomics and production.

Make sure you have a lot of things in your job bag. If we all have the same scenario/pre-release then I suggest you start concocting ideas about what they should ask. In addition to this, do not stray away from your area of expertise. I did and ended up reading the entire question wrong (and failing!)

If you need any specific points then let me know - I am aiming to obtain an A in this exam. My mock that I have done recently seems to be in a top mark band too.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks! this has helped me with the amount of detail I should put in, good luck with your exam!
Ok, so at the moment, my job bag includes notes on how to structure it based on the mark scheme, key words, materials and tools
I am gonna make 3 sets of 6 designs, 1 for seating, 1 for litter, and 1 for something else to do with trips and visits.
I'm also gonna make a mood board for all 3.
innovation challenge tmrw
i suggest being ready to be random
its just my advice
Reply 8
Finished the exam an hour ago. It wasn't too horrifying haha. Fingers crossed, I need 53/60 >.<
Reply 9
Hi all.Something which I am taking in to the exam is a complete practice Innovation Challenge Marked. We did this in class but you could do one and then get your teacher to mark it. If you take your time on it and get high marks, this will be very helpful when it comes to the exam, you can just use it as a template and basically copy it but with reference this this years Design Brief. Also take in a few pages on stuff like: Anthropometrics MaterialsManufacturingAdhesives and JointsPictures of Inspiration A mark scheme would also be quite useful to flick through as you are on each question to see the detail they are looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest