The Student Room Group

Design & Technology NEA

I am aiming for grade 9 in GCSE DT EDUQAS and I am completely stuck on ideas for my NEA and i have to decide my project in the next two weeks. My three choices are:

Portable and compact: Design and make an innovative portable product/s that can be folded, collapsed, or easily taken apart and stored in a compact format. The product should reflect contemporary styling and meet the needs and wants of the identified user group.

Complex needs: Users with complex needs often require products that stretch outside the mainstream. Identify a problem and produce an innovative solution for a niche market.

Longevity: The concept of a ‘throwaway society’ is unacceptable to many consumers. Create an innovative product that has been designed with longevity and sustainability at its heart to satisfy the needs of a particular target market.

I have already tried the whole thing with brain storming and mind maps and i always seem to hit a dead end. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by DeanMX
I am aiming for grade 9 in GCSE DT EDUQAS and I am completely stuck on ideas for my NEA and i have to decide my project in the next two weeks. My three choices are:

Portable and compact: Design and make an innovative portable product/s that can be folded, collapsed, or easily taken apart and stored in a compact format. The product should reflect contemporary styling and meet the needs and wants of the identified user group.

Complex needs: Users with complex needs often require products that stretch outside the mainstream. Identify a problem and produce an innovative solution for a niche market.

Longevity: The concept of a ‘throwaway society’ is unacceptable to many consumers. Create an innovative product that has been designed with longevity and sustainability at its heart to satisfy the needs of a particular target market.

I have already tried the whole thing with brain storming and mind maps and i always seem to hit a dead end. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think the portable and compact one seems pretty good cause I feel like it would have loads of good ideas? Like one problem I find is that when I bring my lunchbox into school after lunch when its empty it takes up a lot of space in my bag? It would be great if it was collapsible so that I could carry it easily! Or a collapsible mini table to make studying on a long train ride or a plane easier? The desks for trains and planes are always really small so this could be really helpful! You could also include some small hanging storage on the sides or something so that you can put your pens, phone, calculator, etc. in it for easy access whilst studying! Or a collapsible hair dryer so that it doesn't take up lots of space when travelling? A collapsible baking tin / cupcake tin because I always have trouble storing mine cause of the weird shapes and how its metal so it takes up a lot of space in my cupboards! Idk but these were just some I thought of just now! If you have a look online I'm sure there will be loads of ideas and stuff. Also u could try searching up things that take up a lot of space and finding solutions for them? Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Shivi8
I think the portable and compact one seems pretty good cause I feel like it would have loads of good ideas? Like one problem I find is that when I bring my lunchbox into school after lunch when its empty it takes up a lot of space in my bag? It would be great if it was collapsible so that I could carry it easily! Or a collapsible mini table to make studying on a long train ride or a plane easier? The desks for trains and planes are always really small so this could be really helpful! You could also include some small hanging storage on the sides or something so that you can put your pens, phone, calculator, etc. in it for easy access whilst studying! Or a collapsible hair dryer so that it doesn't take up lots of space when travelling? A collapsible baking tin / cupcake tin because I always have trouble storing mine cause of the weird shapes and how its metal so it takes up a lot of space in my cupboards! Idk but these were just some I thought of just now! If you have a look online I'm sure there will be loads of ideas and stuff. Also u could try searching up things that take up a lot of space and finding solutions for them? Hope this helps!

these are very good ideas thank you! but my product has to be electronic sadly which is quite restricting for that topic
Reply 3
Original post by DeanMX
these are very good ideas thank you! but my product has to be electronic sadly which is quite restricting for that topic

No worries! Good luck!!!
Hi, what did you decide on in the end. I’m doing the same topics as you but as a graphics student struggling to decide which one to do.
Reply 5
Original post by Katedoesgcses
Hi, what did you decide on in the end. I’m doing the same topics as you but as a graphics student struggling to decide which one to do.

Im still stuck :/
Original post by DeanMX
Im still stuck :/

I think I’m gonna do portable and compact seeing as complex needs isn’t that accessible with graphics.
Reply 7
Original post by Katedoesgcses
I think I’m gonna do portable and compact seeing as complex needs isn’t that accessible with graphics.

i think same just struggling on the "innovative" part
Original post by DeanMX
i think same just struggling on the "innovative" part

Agreed - it’s pretty restrictive with just paper and cardboard too.

Quick Reply

Latest