The Student Room Group

What makes you want to learn the language you'd like to learn?

So what makes a language appeal to you? Is it the sound, writing, necessity etc?

If you vote it would be nice if you expanded on your choice by posting below :smile: e.g if you vote 'script' - is that because it's unusual, very different from the script you would use for you native language, or maybe because the script is the same as your own language so you can read it without a problem...but then maybe that comes under the 'ease of learning' choice.

Anyway...interested to know.
Reply 1
argh! i posted it without the poll...how do i add a poll after i've posted it?! is that possible??

These were the options i was going to have:frown:reasons for a language appealing)

Number of speakers/ countries using language
Sound
Writing system, script
Grammar
Knowing speakers
Work requirement
Ease of learning
History of the language
Love of the country/culture/people
Other
French (I understand it, but still learning how to speak it properly also doing it at school) because:

1.Love of the country/culture/people
2.Sound
3.Also because as I want to have a business career in the Aviation Industry thereofore; being able to speak a modern foreign language is not only important, but also a great advantage.
Spanish Cinema, because 1) I'm addicted to it 2) Reading subtitles distracts my attention from the screen and 3) Dubbing sounds awful.
Reply 4
Japanese so I can play games as soon as they are out (import from japan) and to watch japanese movies.

and hebrew just because its sooo cool. ie. the history, the culture.
Reply 5
because then I can read what Lenin wrote without some translator's slant. :biggrin:
Reply 6
I would like to learn Chinese. Actually, it was on a whim, but I haven't bailed out yet.

The script is just beautiful. Moreover, it's the culmination of a very long and complex history -- it conveys much more than just language.

Latest

Trending

Trending