The Student Room Group

Is he being ignorant

I am in Italy with my fiance where no-one speaks English. Whenever we gather everyone speaks Italian and I feel so left out. My fiance obviously enjoys his time as its his country and its like home for him. I just expressed my feelings saying I don't prefer to come here anymore as I've come here second time and it's getting boring. He doesn't get it as he says I should be grateful that I'm here for holiday and should enjoy my time. I also mentioned that we should go somewhere else next time to spice things up to which he didn't take really well. I don't know what to think I ****ed now as I see him as selfish and not considerate of my feelings. I made it clear for him that im not enjoying my time here but he doesn't seem bothered.
Original post by Anonymous
I am in Italy with my fiance where no-one speaks English. Whenever we gather everyone speaks Italian and I feel so left out. My fiance obviously enjoys his time as its his country and its like home for him. I just expressed my feelings saying I don't prefer to come here anymore as I've come here second time and it's getting boring. He doesn't get it as he says I should be grateful that I'm here for holiday and should enjoy my time. I also mentioned that we should go somewhere else next time to spice things up to which he didn't take really well. I don't know what to think I ****ed now as I see him as selfish and not considerate of my feelings. I made it clear for him that im not enjoying my time here but he doesn't seem bothered.

Do you plan to learn Italian at some point?

Regardless, you don't understand it at the moment. If he doesn't bother to translate the main topics to include you in the conversation and you just sit there staring into the distance for hours whenever you convene with other people, then he doesn't value your presence there aside from appearances. If the only holiday destination option is Italy and the language barrier prevents you from enjoying the experience, then your future holidays will only be for him.

You are not wrong for wanting to enjoy yourself as much as he is. I don't see how you'd be able to enjoy yourself at all based on what you've described. If he refuses to consider your point of view and expects you to just put up with this, then that does make him selfish and inconsiderate.
Reply 2
I guess he feels really at home there. I would insist on some other holidays though. Maybe take a friend with you next time you go to Italy. Plus see it as an opportunity to learn another language to a decent level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending