The Student Room Group

Thoughts on this car..

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a Hyundai XG350 I think they are quite amazing ,that and they are rare too.The only problem is,it is a 3.0 litre engine so running cost is going to be a lot,the MPG around town is less than 20 and motorway journeys are 30+.Was hoping to have this for long journeys but with that sort of MPG it is off putting.

What do you guys think?

Thanks TSR members
Reply 1
I can't even find one for sale in the UK.
Moreover, I'd never actually heard of one. I can imagine most will not of heard of one either.

You can certainly do a lot better than a Hyundai for a motorway cruiser anyway!
Same never heard of this before but looks alright,might as well go for it's something different.
Reply 3
Original post by CriticalMatters
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a Hyundai XG350 I think they are quite amazing ,that and they are rare too.The only problem is,it is a 3.0 litre engine so running cost is going to be a lot,the MPG around town is less than 20 and motorway journeys are 30+.Was hoping to have this for long journeys but with that sort of MPG it is off putting.

What do you guys think?

Thanks TSR members

Heard of it never thought many were sold in EU, fuel consumption can be as bad as many big capacity V8 engines.

I'd probably give it a skip as parts for it would be quite expensive to source and you will be better off buying an Audi A6 of the same era.
I found an alternative Hyundai Sonata 2.0 it has much better MPG.Around town is about 22 and motorway is almost 40.

A Korean Mercedes? NICE!
If its not a Passat, its rubbish.
Original post by College_Dropout
If its not a Passat, its rubbish.

I quite like it,i am actually going to look into these haha
Reply 8
I found an alternative Hyundai Sonata 2.0 it has much better MPG.Around town is about 22 and motorway is almost 40.

Are you UK based? This car doesn't look as if it was taken in UK.

I probably wouldn't buy this model of a Sonata as it still wasn't quite up to par with the Japanese rivals ones of similar era.

Nowhere near the refinement levels and many parts in them do tend to break which aren't cheap to replace as early model Hyundais aren't easy to source for parts.
Reply 9
Looks awful. Would be good for ramming other cars though
Original post by Alfissti

Nowhere near the refinement levels and many parts in them do tend to break which aren't cheap to replace as early model Hyundais aren't easy to source for parts.

Doesn't seem too bad for a first car for me mate :wink: not asking for much
Are you UK based? This car doesn't look as if it was taken in UK.

I probably wouldn't buy this model of a Sonata as it still wasn't quite up to par with the Japanese rivals ones of similar era.

Yes I am based in the UK sorry I should of noted it is a picture from the U.S I was just giving a example of the ideal one.

Interesting have you driven one? Japanese rivals being Lexus etc right?
Reply 12
Yes I am based in the UK sorry I should of noted it is a picture from the U.S I was just giving a example of the ideal one.

Interesting have you driven one? Japanese rivals being Lexus etc right?

Plenty of times, my brother had one as they were quite cheap to buy when it was new.

In the markets where it is sold in big numbers its rivals are the Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima/Cefiro and Toyota Camry and it will win in terms of price vs how much kit you get with it but it loses out on most other aspects.

In Europe its main rivals would be the Toyota Avensis, Nissan Primera and Honda Accord as well as the usual Ford Mondeo, Opel Vectra, Peugeot 400 series and the VW Passat.
Plenty of times, my brother had one as they were quite cheap to buy when it was new.

In the markets where it is sold in big numbers its rivals are the Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima/Cefiro and Toyota Camry and it will win in terms of price vs how much kit you get with it but it loses out on most other aspects.

In Europe its main rivals would be the Toyota Avensis, Nissan Primera and Honda Accord as well as the usual Ford Mondeo, Opel Vectra, Peugeot 400 series and the VW Passat.

Putting quality aside how was the drive is it one of those cars that puts a smile on your face when you out on another journey?

Aside from parts being a bit rare running cost and maintenance should not be too bad?

I should of known I dont know why I compared it to a Lexus,completely different classes.

You mentioned not this model Sonata what one would you suggest instead?
Reply 14
Putting quality aside how was the drive is it one of those cars that puts a smile on your face when you out on another journey?

Aside from parts being a bit rare running cost and maintenance should not be too bad?

I should of known I dont know why I compared it to a Lexus,completely different classes.

You mentioned not this model Sonata what one would you suggest instead?

It isn't one of those cars that will bring a smile to your face when you drive it, it is primarily just a big car designed to carry 4-5 adults in some comfort of space from one place to another with minimal drama. This model of the Sonata was often used as a taxi in Beijing for that particular reason.

Fuel consumption isn't this car's strong point many in Asia have long since been converted to run on LPG especially when used as a taxi. Not sure if insurance will be expensive on something like this but it might be. If it is a car you like to have then it isn't a bad car other than consumable parts generally most things won't break on it.

The Sonata I'd buy is one that is a generation after this model which significantly narrowed the gap between the Japanese makes and 2 generations after the one pictured it actually started being better than the Japanese makes.

I'd probably buy a Ford Mondeo at this class of car and price range.
Reply 15
Original post by BritBoyWonder
Doesn't seem too bad for a first car for me mate :wink: not asking for much

It isn't a bad car as a first car that is true as they generally tend to be very cheap to buy.

The Kia Magnetis is also the same car under the skin worth a look too.

Do need to find a very good one though as many usually only get sold as it is simply a tired old car, due to the poor residual value and generally low demand many people who owned them simply drive them till it is at a stage where it is no longer economical to fix it or it is at a state where something in it is at an impending stage of implosion.

As with any other cars buy them on condition, if it is something you like and want then go for it.
It isn't a bad car as a first car that is true as they generally tend to be very cheap to buy.

The Kia Magnetis is also the same car under the skin worth a look too.

Do need to find a very good one though as many usually only get sold as it is simply a tired old car, due to the poor residual value and generally low demand many people who owned them simply drive them till it is at a stage where it is no longer economical to fix it or it is at a state where something in it is at an impending stage of implosion.

As with any other cars buy them on condition, if it is something you like and want then go for it.

Nicee i will have a look,thanks mate always spreading that good knowledge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending