The Student Room Group

First car - Vauxhall Corsa?

Hi,

I'm 17 and I am looking to buy my first car, with help from my parents. I have found this car that I really like currently:

https://www.allmancarsales.co.uk/used-vauxhall-corsa-northwich-cheshire-5113202

The only thing is, my parents are wary of buying a car with 90,000 miles on it. Is there anyone who's perhaps a bit more car savvy than me who can determine if this should be a cause for concern, as I do really like the look of the car but obviously I won't be able to afford it without my parents' help.

Cheers
Reply 1
Usually with a car, it's not so much the mileage itself that's the problem, but a lack of service history. I can't find any information about service history on that car's site so if it were me I'd personally give it a miss unfortunately.
I've had a look online at some other options - these may be more suited for you? I've tried to find ones near Cheshire to help.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309051571659 This example has lower mileage and part service history - it would be worth you or your parents to check the service history when viewing the car however to make sure that services have been done at the correct intervals.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309081716579 This example has full service history with 70,000 miles. As this one is a private sale it could be worth getting an AA or RAC trusted tester to view the car with you (costing around £100). This isn't vital if you know some basics however as these cars it is quite simple to see if anything is amiss.

I wouldn't recommend the car that you posted if it was me - I'd keep your eyes peeled and be patient for the right one to come along
Original post by oligti
Usually with a car, it's not so much the mileage itself that's the problem, but a lack of service history. I can't find any information about service history on that car's site so if it were me I'd personally give it a miss unfortunately.
I've had a look online at some other options - these may be more suited for you? I've tried to find ones near Cheshire to help.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309051571659 This example has lower mileage and part service history - it would be worth you or your parents to check the service history when viewing the car however to make sure that services have been done at the correct intervals.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309081716579 This example has full service history with 70,000 miles. As this one is a private sale it could be worth getting an AA or RAC trusted tester to view the car with you (costing around £100). This isn't vital if you know some basics however as these cars it is quite simple to see if anything is amiss.

I wouldn't recommend the car that you posted if it was me - I'd keep your eyes peeled and be patient for the right one to come along

Hiya,

Thank you so much! I'll definitely give those a look; I really appreciate the advice!

Would you mind if I picked your brains one more time?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309292477694

Any thoughts on this one? Obviously I'd make sure I check service history e.t.c.
Reply 3
Original post by soundslikesam13
Hiya,

Thank you so much! I'll definitely give those a look; I really appreciate the advice!

Would you mind if I picked your brains one more time?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309292477694

Any thoughts on this one? Obviously I'd make sure I check service history e.t.c.

There isn't a lot of info on the ad so it is definitely worth phoning them up and asking them these bits (then double checking when viewing the car):
Any lumps you can feel in the clutch?
Any noises or crunches as you change gear?
What is service history like - when was it last serviced? (These cars require a service every 10k to 12k miles so work out when it'll need the next one)
Any dents scratches or paint chips? (None of these are really a concern mechanically unless a big one - but can be used to help negotiate price)
Is owners manual present with the car?
What are the brakes like? When were they last changed?

The Hyundai i10 in general is one of the most reliable small cars out there, moreso than the Corsa I daresay. In return you get a slightly cheaper feel inside, a bit plasticy, engines are less smooth (but do the job and are happy enough on the odd motorway journey). It's also slightly smaller than a Corsa if this bothers you, but passengers can fit in the back if needed. The most unreliable part of the i10 is the gearbox and clutch so make sure to check that as mentioned before. If the clutch goes it'll be around £650 to replace, so not the end of the world but not a small price either! Make sure you or your parents take it for a test drive and check the clutch and gearbox sounds yourself.
Original post by oligti
There isn't a lot of info on the ad so it is definitely worth phoning them up and asking them these bits (then double checking when viewing the car):
Any lumps you can feel in the clutch?
Any noises or crunches as you change gear?
What is service history like - when was it last serviced? (These cars require a service every 10k to 12k miles so work out when it'll need the next one)
Any dents scratches or paint chips? (None of these are really a concern mechanically unless a big one - but can be used to help negotiate price)
Is owners manual present with the car?
What are the brakes like? When were they last changed?

The Hyundai i10 in general is one of the most reliable small cars out there, moreso than the Corsa I daresay. In return you get a slightly cheaper feel inside, a bit plasticy, engines are less smooth (but do the job and are happy enough on the odd motorway journey). It's also slightly smaller than a Corsa if this bothers you, but passengers can fit in the back if needed. The most unreliable part of the i10 is the gearbox and clutch so make sure to check that as mentioned before. If the clutch goes it'll be around £650 to replace, so not the end of the world but not a small price either! Make sure you or your parents take it for a test drive and check the clutch and gearbox sounds yourself.

Thanks again, I'll definitely get on that. Reliability is really what I'm after so more than happy to sacrifice to a slighter cheaper feel.

Cheers mate, I really appreciate it. 👍
Reply 5
Hey, you should definitely check if that car has a timing chain or timing belt. I had a Vauxhall with the latter and they’re not reliable/well suited for a first car (imo). Especially at 90k miles, around that mileage the timing belt (if applies to that model) on Vauxhalls are prone to snap and cause complete engine failure. So you should check also if the belt if it has ones’ been changed.

I had a honda civic after and was the most reliable thing ever and was fast too. I bought it without service history but it paid off, especially with Japanese cars they can take more of a beating. If you watch youtube videos on checking health of a car, should help. But, if you’d like peace of mind, car with service history would be best.

Did you end up buying a car?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by aks.247
Hey, you should definitely check if that car has a timing chain or timing belt. I had a Vauxhall with the latter and they’re not reliable/well suited for a first car (imo). Especially at 90k miles, around that mileage the timing belt (if applies to that model) on Vauxhalls are prone to snap and cause complete engine failure. So you should check also if the belt if it has ones’ been changed.

Timing chains fail in the exact same way, plenty of them start having faults around the same mileage, esp the chain tensioners and guides.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending