The Student Room Group

Will getting married affect my student finance?

I am a mature student starting my University course this September; I will be getting the full £9000 maintenance (some loan some grant). My course is 4 years long (I will be 30 when I graduate). Me and my boyfriend would like to get married at some point but don't know if it would affect how much money i'm entitled to. I need the full amount as we live in London.
He currently earns £15,000pa but this could go op or down over the next 4 years. We keep finances pretty much separate. He also has savings. Obviously, this would be a very cheap wedding but would it be worth the risk, would I be entitled to less? Also, if I was between jobs (hopefully not!), would being married affect my jobseekers or housing benefit claim? Can't find useful info anywhere. Cheers.
Reply 1
Don't take this as 100% but I think if your married it goes of both of your income, however you don't start getting less money from student finance till 25k

I do know job seekers and housing benefits takes his income into account if you are married, I'm guessing you will be living together. (I thought they did if you live with your partner too since its household income) but students can't get job seekers (your not classed as a student fill you start, you still classes as a student between your first and second year however) but i don't think they can get housing benefits while a student too so unless you plan to get married before starting uni it shouldn't matter.

*edit* did a Google search and if you live together his income will be taken into account and if you are married his income will be taken into account if you live together or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Because you're already old enough to be automatically considered independent, your marriage won't have any effect on your entitlement, presuming that you would be living together either way.

It can make a difference if you are under 25, although with earnings of only £15k, you wouldn't be any worse off.
Reply 3
Yes, you will no longer have any money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending