The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Student finance

Hi all, I’m wondering if anyone can help me.
I’m hoping to start open uni in October this year, I’m in the process of applying for student finance. They ask for your household income which is confusing me, I currently live with my dad, well I class him as that but ( he is not my biological father, him and my mum never married, and they are now separated).

I have been financially Independent for the past 5 years, I work, pay rent and pay all my own bills etc, I just rent a room off him. My mum lives elsewhere.

Does this count as living with a parent, and do I need to include his income when applying for student finance?

Any help would be much appreciated :smile: thanks in advance xx
Reply 1
I would assume not as you are living off your own income but it is best to ring the student finance office to get confirmation on what is best for you to do (0300 100 0607)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
From my understanding (although this might have changed), it's slightly different for OU, and parent/s' income doesn't count.

I don't think your dad will be considered as a parent. Your mum's income might need to be taken into consideration, but probably won't as you've been living independently (can't remember what the cut off age is to be a "mature student" for SF.

As well as phoning SF, it might be worth a phone call to OU as well.

Good luck with the course 👍
Reply 3
Thank you very much both of you :smile:
Original post by Chiannedawes26
Thank you very much both of you :smile:

Hope you get sorted 😁

Quick Reply

Latest