The Student Room Group

Ridiculous amount of ulcers and spanish oral!

Hi everybody! I'm taking my A levels this year and I've been working very hard so it's perhaps unsurprising that I'm now drowning under ulcers. I am prone to ulcers anyway (I get about one a month usually, maybe one every two months), but I currently have about twenty in my mouth, spread across my lips, gums and most importantly my tongue.
Now, I have a spanish oral next thursday but talking is incredibly painful at times, and whilst i could talk through it, my pronunciation is likely to be severely affected. I only need to get rid of the ones on my tongue!

Any suggestions? I'm currently doing mouthwash twice a day, salt water solution gargled and rinsed for two minutes a day , twice a day , two coatings (morning and night) of the new bonjela gel that like leaves a coating on it (but very hard to get to the sides of my tongue where i most need them to go) and drinking LOTS of water. Don't know what else I can do! I don't care if they come back as soon as my oral is over, but this is an A level and I don't want to push it back.

And before anyone says, no it's not herpes or anything else. It's just ulcers; already been to doctors and they were mighty unhelpful. They said take vitamin supplements so i have A-Z from boots , folic and iron supplements but i'm not sure if i can take them whilst also taking the contraceptive pill.

Thank you for any help :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
You had me at 'Spanish oral.'

(You could potentially look into hydrocortisone tablets but they'd need to be prescribed).
Reply 2
It's fine to take vitamins whilst on the pill

Posted from TSR Mobile
I too suffer from ulcers. I have 2 at the moment, but I probably get around 3-5 a month and they can pretty damn big. 20 just sounds extreme!

I'm not studying A levels just yet, but would pushing it back do any harm? Especially if you have a legitimate reason. Failing that, listerine mouthwash usually works well at numbing ulcers so you can't feel the pain. It's also supposed to make them heal faster, but I'm not sure about that. You could rinse your mouth out with some of that just before the oral? That way it shouldn't hurt when you speak.
Reply 4
Original post by AstroNandos
I too suffer from ulcers. I have 2 at the moment, but I probably get around 3-5 a month and they can pretty damn big. 20 just sounds extreme!

I'm not studying A levels just yet, but would pushing it back do any harm? Especially if you have a legitimate reason. Failing that, listerine mouthwash usually works well at numbing ulcers so you can't feel the pain. It's also supposed to make them heal faster, but I'm not sure about that. You could rinse your mouth out with some of that just before the oral? That way it shouldn't hurt when you speak.

i've only had this many when i had an allergic reaction to some medicine i was on to cure a kidney infection , and i had more then as well >.< i'm used to ulcers , they're annoying but it's just life for me and i ignore them after about five days and they go away , but these are persistent and i'm scared more are coming

pushing my oral back further into may/june extends my anxiety! i'm ready , i'd rather get it done. i guess it depends how it goes - at least i can push it back if i don't think i'm going to get an accurate mark. but then what happens if i still have ulcers by then? if it's stress , this stress is not going away any time soon
Reply 5
I used to get loads of mouth ulcers and with some internet searching i found this site which has some good tips as well as a shop that sells some products: www.mouthulcers.org

For me the reason i was getting them was from using Colgate toothpaste which has a foaming agent caused SLS which is known to cause ulcers in some people. I started using an SLS free toothpaste called Squigle Enamel Saver and i went from always having at least 2 or 3 ulcers in my mouth at any time to getting 2 or 3 per year and even then they are less severe. It's not guaranteed this will work for you but it's worth a try as it's only the price of a tube of toothpaste.

As for a short term remedy for your current ones before your exam, i used to find the listerine zero alcohol mouthwash made them not hurt for half an hour or so. The alcohol containing ones work too but your ulcers sting like a bitch when you use them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending