The Student Room Group

Does chewing gum really damage your braces?

Hey, I was just wondering: is chewing gum actually really bad for braces?

I recently got my braces put in about just over a month ago and I have, in fact, chewed gum a few times and I've not had any problems with it (i.e. it getting stuck in my braces). I only chew minty, dental gum, though - not the bubble gum stuff.

Pretty much all of my friends who have had braces chewed gum all the time, saying that it isn't that bad and I believe them now, after being quite tentative to try it at first. But one of my friends heard that chewing gum was the worst thing to do with braces on so he didn't chew gum throughout his whole treatment plan.

I'm pretty certain that chewing dental gum every so often won't be all that bad, but has anyone had some horror stories with chewing gum and braces?? Or does anyone have proof that it actually does effect our teeth in a negative way?

Cheers for all the help in advance! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Didn't effect mine :tongue: the only thing that ever did was toffee or something hard and sticky. And that would only break the glue/bracket off, which is easily fixed! Plus it only happened rarely, I ate normally whilst I had them! :smile:
I would recommend not having loads of coke though, looks hilarious when people have white squares on their teeth once they get them off :giggle:
Reply 2
Original post by Liberty.
Didn't effect mine :tongue: the only thing that ever did was toffee or something hard and sticky. And that would only break the glue/bracket off, which is easily fixed! Plus it only happened rarely, I ate normally whilst I had them! :smile:
I would recommend not having loads of coke though, looks hilarious when people have white squares on their teeth once they get them off :giggle:

Hahah, ikr? I don't really drink fizzy drinks anyways so I guess that's good :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest