The Student Room Group

Year Abroad.

Well, I'm planning to do a 4 year Computer Science course with a year abroad, and I was wondering if it's worth doing it? Or would it be better to do a placement year, or even none of them, and just do the regular 3 years. What would be the better option?
Also if I do decide to do the study Computer Science abroad what are some good choices for this?

A few places I wouldn't mind studying are..
Canada
USA

Japan - I'd love to study here but can't any universities that do Computer Science
Sweden

What other countries would you recommend?
It would be worth having a look at the ISEP Programme. You can go to just about any country. Your university may have direct/recipricol exchanges with select 'partner' universities in certain countries, so that's worth looking at as well. I'm hoping to do an exchange for next year myself. :biggrin:
Original post by David B
Well, I'm planning to do a 4 year Computer Science course with a year abroad, and I was wondering if it's worth doing it? Or would it be better to do a placement year, or even none of them, and just do the regular 3 years. What would be the better option?
Also if I do decide to do the study Computer Science abroad what are some good choices for this?

A few places I wouldn't mind studying are..
Canada
USA

Japan - I'd love to study here but can't any universities that do Computer Science
Sweden

What other countries would you recommend?

Other countries that I could think on the top of my head are:

- South Korea
- Finland
- Singapore
- Australia
- Germany
- Taiwan
- China
In terms of cost, a year abroad is very good value - you only pay a fraction (if any) of the cost of tuition fees for the year - the major cost consideration is that you need to be able to front for flights and visa stuff before that year's loan and grant comes in. I found it a really great opportunity to both broaden and deepen my study - I took 4 courses in an specific area of my discipline that weren't available at home, as well as 2 completely different free electives.

I'm pretty sure compsci students at Essex are allowed to study abroad in Japan (did you find something that suggested otherwise, though?) as well as all the other countries you mentioned. You might also find there are places where you can do a semester in Japan on a 3y course even though they don't list 'Computer Science with a year abroad' as a named 4y course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending