The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StretfordEnd
At the end of the day, he went toe to toe with the behemoth that is David Moyes and I'd venture that if it wasn't for our players completely switching off after Evra's goal, Guardiola would have had massive egg on his face. He was gifted that quarter final by our players in those crucial moments; but over 2 legs his side (which had previously rampaged around Europe uncheckd) looked insipid and toothless against the worst United side in my life.

His brand of football worked at Barca becausae he had incredible players. He wasn't lucky, he has an exceptional eye for talent and he saw before anyone else that building his team around Iniesta and Messi was the way to go.

Under Heynckes, Bayern were probably not as good man-for-man as Barca but their football was destructive. Nonetheless, he has turned a very good football team into one that has looked average on the European stage. That's not an exaggeration - they really have been average.

Robben, Ribery, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Gotze, Muller. If Pep can turn those boys into a side which can't put 10 man Arsenal to the sword and limp past United then what on earth is he going to do with this United side?!

You say he'll mature and become less stubborn/rigid but it's a hell of a risk; you'd have thought if he was going to adapt his tactics he'd have done it when he took the helm of a club who had Europe by the balls. If he didn't change for Bayern, why would he change for us?

EDIT: I'd also say it was actually pretty dull when it is working. It's so repetitive and formulaic it drives me crackers!

Aside from the Man City score at home. :wink:
Original post by SciFiRory
agree about not needing a new CB if we keep Rio

you left out Powell? or will he still be under 21? isn't Lingard also under 21?

surely we won't loan out Zaha again if we need wingers either?

agree with the departures apart from Fellaini, can't see us selling him after only one season, also wouldn't be surprised if one of Fletch and Giggsy stays

Zaha hasn't proven it for me. Average in a red shirt, average in a Cardiff shirt, we wouldn't miss him.
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Zaha hasn't proven it for me. Average in a red shirt, average in a Cardiff shirt, we wouldn't miss him.

eh I figure he can hardly be worse than Young/Valencia even so!
eh I figure he can hardly be worse than Young/Valencia even so!

Young's not even that bad he just doesn't get as many games as some-remember the 8-2 game vs Arsenal he was immense. Valencia on his day is a quality he just needs to get his consistency going. Replacing CR7 was never an easy task but he's one of my favourite United players.
Aside from the Man City score at home. :wink:

When I mentioned rampaging around Europe I was more talking about the team pre-Guardiola.

They brushed Juve aside. The game against Arsenal was close if only because they were so complacent considering how poor Arsenal were in the first leg and they absolutely decimated a Barca side still playing the Guardiola way. (Granted a mitigating factor was Barca being managed by Tito at the time).

A year on and not only are Bayern a less attractive football team, they're also less effective (at least as far as the top-drawer football goes). Guardiola's got one of the best FB's in world football playing in DM, whilst the DM lynchin from last year is now shunted back to CB in a desperate attempt to try and cement the Guardiola formula which everyone in Europe has figured out.

Pep for United? I'd rather not.
Young's not even that bad he just doesn't get as many games as some-remember the 8-2 game vs Arsenal he was immense. Valencia on his day is a quality he just needs to get his consistency going. Replacing CR7 was never an easy task but he's one of my favourite United players.

problem is neither of them have performed to a good enough level in a long long time now, save the odd game where we played much weaker teams anyway, I would rather give a youngster like Zaha a chance than hoping that Valencia/Young magically regain form tbh
Reply 986
ditto :biggrin:

"the biggest club in the world" he knows we are the best :yep: hopefully he can put us back there as well :biggrin:

The way he spoke filed me with joy, cannot wait for him to start. I'm pretty sure the job is his.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Give the guy a break, Moyes hardly gave him a chance. He's still quite young and he's learning he's not like 27 or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheInvincibles14
As seen from RVP grinning in interview over the weekend and with LVG now confirming he'll be joining Utd now would be the perfect time to flog Rooney. If you keep him then what exactly was the point of spending £37m on Juan Mata. Not to mention Rooney's attitude up against LVG is just a recipe for disaster. You would probably still get £25m for Rooney to be fair, so should use that money on a CM, so it would make sense selling him.

It's pretty scary how many players you need to get back up to title winning standard though. De Gea, Carrick, Mata and RVP are certainties but every other position requires improvement...

Carrick is hopeless now. He hasn't made a forward pass since 2009.
agree about not needing a new CB if we keep Rio

you left out Powell? or will he still be under 21? isn't Lingard also under 21?

surely we won't loan out Zaha again if we need wingers either?

Lingard will be 22 in December, so he has to be registered. Powell does not.

Zaha will need to be registered too. I don't think he has done anything to justify being in our first team next season, I know a few Cardiff fans and none of them rate him. If anyone saw MOTD the other week Zaha was basically shown up to be incredibly lazy, and seemingly not trying. He's got the huge signing on fee/wages and given his background, probably thought he'd made it and doesn't need to do anything else.

Our only hope is that Van Gaal can sort him out.
Best, Law, Charlton, Beckham, Giggs, Ronaldo, Cantona........Zaha. FFS. It doesn't sound right does it lol.
Original post by Old_Simon
Best, Law, Charlton, Beckham, Giggs, Ronaldo, Cantona........Zaha. FFS. It doesn't sound right does it lol.

Of course it doesn't sound right; not when you compare a lad who has barely played in a United shirt to some of the greatest players to ever pull on the jersey.
Of course it doesn't sound right; not when you compare a lad who has barely played in a United shirt to some of the greatest players to ever pull on the jersey.

Zaha looks like £15 M worth of bad attitude to me.
It is worrying that multiple managers have been quoted as saying he has an attitude problem. If he isn't getting on at Cardiff, he is not ready for Man United. I still hope he can improve. I saw signs in pre-season that he had some ability. I still think I'd rather see us give Zaha a shot than watch Valencia and Young play 40/50 games between them a season. He might improve. They're just not very good at football.
Original post by Old_Simon
Zaha looks like £15 M worth of bad attitude to me.

Let's get him back for LVG to deal with then. He's not going to improve mentally at a championship/yo-yo club with a journeyman manager.
Let's get him back for LVG to deal with then. He's not going to improve mentally at a championship/yo-yo club with a journeyman manager.

I think a kid that signed for United a year ago should be doing his damn hardest to impress. The only way for him is down if he doesn't make it here. If he needs a tough manager to motivate him to get his **** together, that would concern me. He should be able to motivate himself to get good enough to play in this team. Especially when his manager is OGS, who spent many years here. He could learn a lot from him.
Original post by NathanW18
I think a kid that signed for United a year ago should be doing his damn hardest to impress. The only way for him is down if he doesn't make it here. If he needs a tough manager to motivate him to get his **** together, that would concern me. He should be able to motivate himself to get good enough to play in this team. Especially when his manager is OGS, who spent many years here. He could learn a lot from him.

I would argue that the vast majority of United players who succeeded as greats in the past couple of decades didn't do so because they were self motivated and because the prospect of playing for United was a magical elixir; but because we had the best man-manager in the business.
One of the qualities managers seem to value most highly these days in a player is consistency. Sporadic wizardry just reminds everybody how good the player could be if he worked harder. We seem to have a few who fit into the inconsistent category unfortunately.
I would argue that the vast majority of United players who succeeded as greats in the past couple of decades didn't do so because they were self motivated and because the prospect of playing for United was a magical elixir; but because we had the best man-manager in the business.

I wouldn't want to discredit Sir Alex's work, but I believe the vast majority of them had plenty of drive to be the best they can be. It's not just about playing for United. Although, that is one of the big factors. It's about being the best player they can and making a name for themselves. This is his best shot at making it at a top club. He shouldn't want to waste his chance.

Even with Moyes or whoever else as manager, I'd expect him to be doing his best to impress. He hasn't proved anything to anyone and has no real name for himself. It makes more sense to me that some of the older players would start to give less of a ****. Not a young guy that wants to break into the team.
Original post by NathanW18
It is worrying that multiple managers have been quoted as saying he has an attitude problem. If he isn't getting on at Cardiff, he is not ready for Man United. I still hope he can improve. I saw signs in pre-season that he had some ability. I still think I'd rather see us give Zaha a shot than watch Valencia and Young play 40/50 games between them a season. He might improve. They're just not very good at football.

By all accounts Zaha is a lazy, petulant pain in the arse who got his dream move for the money and stardom and now doesn't want to have to work for it. Started training poorly at Palace apparently after the deal with United was signed and expected to get away with doing less cos he was going to be a big star player. Came here and again trained poorly, had a couple of bad first team appearances, got stuck in the U21s and didn't really set the world on fire there either, then went off on loan to a relegated club.

I think he's good being a big fish in a small pond, and expect his career path will see him straddle the reserves and the fringes of the first team for a couple years then go to a lower half PL club. He's the next Ravel Morrison for me but with less (potential) talent.

Latest