The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam278
:lol:

Lallana is only being bought because he's english tbh. He's a good player but if I'm being honest I think Coutinho has more potential. Lallana is doing well at a club because of continuity and tactics I feel. He's being bought for squad depth and he's English.

He's going to have an average world cup.

People also have an annoying habit of underestimating how old players like Lallana are. He's 26 so I doubt he's going to blossom into a top top player at this stage.

Liverpool just never learn,their transfer meetings probably look like a scene from Mike Basset England Manager. :rolleyes:

Original post by Manchester United
Shaw would be a great signing. He has 15 years in him, he is already one of the best LB's in the country and he's English.

I'm more than happy to pay 25-30m.

Yea but end of the day he's a wing back isn't he? Above £10m, there are rapidly diminishing returns in terms of what a WB gives to the team. Certain fullbacks are worth this kind of money fair enough, Alves at Barca for instance solved a crucial tactical issue for them. And if Ashley Cole was on the market today at 20 then he'd be worth £30m. But these two were very well established players when they made big transfers, and I dont see where the upside is in paying £30m for an 18 year old wingback? Even if Shaw blossoms into the worldie people expect, he'll still be on the market for no more than £30m so you're really just taking the risk that he doesnt live up to the hype.

Arsenal for instance are probably going to sign Aurier at RB who is 21, in the Ligue 1 team of the year and is probably every bit as good as Shaw. Transfer fee: £6m. Then look at other £6m wing backs like Azpi, Zabaleta, Sagna, Evra etc and it just doesnt make any sense to pay £30m for Shaw imo.

No point buying English players, either develop them yourself or bring them in when they're 17 and take a chance before the hype gets out of control.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
Lallana is only being bought because he's english tbh. He's a good player but if I'm being honest I think Coutinho has more potential. Lallana is doing well at a club because of continuity and tactics I feel. He's being bought for squad depth and he's English. He's going to have an average world cup.
I just really don't want us buying him. He's okay but if he was Spanish there would be none of the hype. He's just an unusual English player. He's not really the type of player we need, at 26 he's not really young I think he's near his peak. I'd prefer he's wasn't an option for us.
Original post by Eboracum
A Couple of things I want to pick you up on.

A dig at our tactics Jammy? :tongue:

Had to, it was so easy to do.

Serious players don't go to PSG. There a small club from a small league. You go there for a big pay out (see Zlatan). Serious men go to the PL or La Liga.

You'll see in a years time when Monaco do the same thing. PSG have gone further in the CL than all the english teams bar Chelsea in the past 2 seasons.

Adam Lallana deserves to be in the PL team this season because he's been very good. He won't make the team again wearing a Liverpool shirt is Eboracum's prediction. Who would you put in instead?

Well I'd put in Ramsey with Toure and use hazard, Suarez, Sturridge and Aguero.
Original post by Zürich
People also have an annoying habit of underestimating how old players like Lallana are. He's 26 so I doubt he's going to blossom into a top top player at this stage.

Indeed, good point Zurich. I mean perhaps he's another Henderson, in terms of he'll improve around better players, but I'm not entirely convinced by Henderson, I think he's been the weak link in the front six for Liverpool.

Original post by Zürich

Arsenal for instance are probably going to sign Aurier at RB who is 21, in the Ligue 1 team of the year and is probably every bit as good as Shaw. Transfer fee: £6m. Then look at other £6m wing backs like Azpi, Zabaleta, Sagna, Evra etc and it just doesn't make any sense to pay £30m for Shaw imo.

That's depressing for us and I take your point. How we could do with another Vidic and Evra double, that was a terrific window. Although you bought Andre Santos for 6M and he wasn't fit to clean Shaw's boots. Only points he ever secured were on his driving license.

That's depressing for us and I take your point. How we could do with another Vidic and Evra double, that was a terrific window. Although you bought Andre Santos for 6M and he wasn't fit to clean Shaw's boots. Only points he ever secured were on his driving license.

Well you can always get it wrong in fairness, but for £30m, you'd have 5 whacks at £6m fullbacks and odds are you'll get an Evra or an Azpi well before then. There are loads of talented continental WBs out there, seems eminently more sensible to find them then just throwing £30m on Shaw because he's English.

Santos was actually one of the best attacking fullbacks I've ever seen tbf, dem Samba skills :coma: but defensively the guy couldnt have cared less. That and the fact he put on about 3 stone over the 2012 pre-season :colonhash:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

No point buying English players, either develop them yourself or bring them in when they're 17 and take a chance before the hype gets out of control.

Great post mate.

PRSOM.
Lallana's age is a great point. I do believe that people think he's younger than he is. He's only just made a name for himself this season. I'm sure most people think he's still in his early 20's. He's a good player and not the regular type of English midfielder. Still don't think he's a world beater and not going to be worth the money Liverpool pays for him. I hope we don't get involved.
Original post by Zürich
Well you can always get it wrong in fairness, but for £30m, you'd have 5 whacks at £6m fullbacks and odds are you'll get an Evra or an Azpi well before then. There are loads of talented continental WBs out there, seems eminently more sensible to find them then just throwing £30m on Shaw because he's English.

Santos was actually one of the best attacking fullbacks I've ever seen tbf, but defensively the guy couldnt have cared less :biggrin:

This essentially especially with defenders.

In fact Gary Cahill was 7M and his contract expired in the summer, surely just wait for their contract to expire, tap them up 2 years before their contract expires and then force the selling club to sell them for cheap.

English players should just be developed or done in exchange deals/wait for contract to expire. Only team that's really got bargains for top level english players have been Chelsea.
Original post by jam278
This essentially especially with defenders.

In fact Gary Cahill was 7M and his contract expired in the summer, surely just wait for their contract to expire, tap them up 2 years before their contract expires and then force the selling club to sell them for cheap.

English players should just be developed or done in exchange deals/wait for contract to expire. Only team that's really got bargains for top level english players have been Chelsea.

Yea Chelsea have done well from buying English players. In particular, Ashley Cole was an absolute steal for £5m + Gallas, but at the time Gallas was rated at about £15m IIRC so wasnt as had at the time. Lampard, Cahill, J.Cole etc all brilliant business too.

Everton have done well with the likes of Baines, Jageilka, Stones and on the other side receiving ridiculous transfer fees for Rodwell, Lescott etc.

I dont think Arsenal have done so badly either in sniffing out the lower league British players and steaming in before they took off. Ramsey for £5m, Walcott for £9m and AOC for £12m, Jenkinson £1m were smart moves. As I say, this is the only way to acquire talented English youngsters these days.

The two worst for blowing the farm on hyped up Englishmen are LFC and WHU, the penny never seems to drop for these two. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Yea Chelsea have done well from buying English players. In particular, Ashley Cole was an absolute steal for £5m + Gallas, but at the time Gallas was rated at about £15m IIRC so wasnt as had at the time. Lampard, Cahill, J.Cole etc all brilliant business too.

Everton have done well with the likes of Baines, Jageilka, Stones and on the other side receiving ridiculous transfer fees for Rodwell, Lescott etc.

I dont think Arsenal have done so badly either in sniffing out the lower league British players and steaming in before they took off. Ramsey for £5m, Walcott for £9m and AOC for £12m, Jenkinson £1m were smart moves. As I say, this is the only way to acquire talented English youngsters these days.

The two worst for blowing the farm on hyped up Englishmen are LFC and WHU, the penny never seems to drop for these two. :rolleyes:

Yeah that's true, I do believe Arsenal have done great business with english players.

Spurs have done ok with their english players too, lennon was 1m e.g. Walker was about 5m and they got Huddlestone for about 2.5M. They ain't the greatest players but it's a decent return price wise. They overpaid for Bent though but they got the same amount back for him. Sunderland piss money about though and who could remember the 24M paid for Darren Bent by Villa? :rofl:
Smalling's in the England squad. :laugh:

Oh wow.
Smalling is absolutely fine at CB. If Hodgson plays him at RB, well, good luck.
Alright then, let's have a sweepstake. Which united player will be blamed for England's poor showing despite none of the other players doing any better?

The smart money may be Rooney (again) but this time I fancy Welbeck will be the individual solely responsible for England being ****e.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel sorry for Caulker

Left to retain England place

Got relegated

Lost England place

to Smalling lol
Rooney will be blamed, because he's the experienced attacker in the squad. Especially if Sturridge is made to play second fiddle to him. I'm sure Welbeck will receive some abuse for missing a couple 1v1's. If Smalling has to play at RB, he will also get abused, even though it's painfully obvious to us that he can't play the position well. Jones will be left alone if he has to play.

Most of the abuse will definitely be aimed at Rooney, though.
Reply 1395
Shaw is 18. Eighteen. And an absolute beast. Far better than Bale was at 18, and has the exact attitude to be brilliant. Said it all along, the signing is fine. If he develops as he can, it's a steal. It's not like he can't move further forwards in the future either.

And rofl at the idea that Serge Aurier is anywhere near as good as Shaw. Clearly comes from somebody that's not seen either of them play.
Smalling isn't bad at CB and if he plays there, am sure he'll do a decent job but it's only when he plays at RB that he struggles. Johnson is in the squad, no Walker so imagine that Smalling/Jones will be RB cover - both whose crossing is woeful.

If Rooney has a poor WC - which is plausible - then I think he should retire from internationals. Compared to other players, I don't really feel he's going to get better with age and I'd rather he used the spare time resting and with Barkley, Sterling, Strurridge a potential front three, then Rooney just doesn't have that appeal if he doesn't do well.
(edited 9 years ago)
It says something about your defensive back-up, and your top CB prospects when they're trending worldwide as a result of their inclusion in the England squad, haha.

You literally need a new back four this summer...
Reply 1398
I'm not convinced that Gibbs, Azpilicueta or Ashley Cole have been better players than Luke Shaw this season. As I said he's in the PL team for a reason. But I suppose its different in a sense that they are 24 and he's 18. What do other think, who was the best LB in the Prem this year?

Which Moreno do you mean, the one at Sevilla or the one at Benfica? I'm not overly familiar with either.

Again, I'm just not sure Cabaye is quite good enough. And he really excelled in the #10 role towards the end, which we have in abundance. I'm talking about players on that next level. Cabaye was deemed not good enough by the Manchester United hierarchy, and I accept that.

They haven't. There could be a case for Azpi defensively, but he's not a scratch on Shaw going forwards.

I suspect they mean Alberto Morena @ Sevilla. Good player, but can go missing defensively a lot. He's a little bit like evra. Mourinho would go mad at him, and he'd need a period of adjustment. He's got nowhere near the talent or potential. He's hardworking though. Also is about 5'4" iirc. Minor issue for a full back, but still one. He'd probably fit liverpool/arsenal more. Good player, but just that.

Cabaye would have been a great short term fix and longterm squad player.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1399
Original post by Aky786UK
Smalling isn't bad at CB and if he plays there, am sure he'll do a decent job but it's only when he plays at RB that he struggles. Johnson is in the squad, no Walker so imagine that Smalling/Jones will be RB cover - both whose crossing is woeful.

If Rooney has a poor WC - which is plausible - then I think he should retire from internationals. Compared to other players, I don't really feel he's going to get better with age and I'd rather he used the spare time resting and with Barkley, Sterling, Strurridge a potential front three, then Rooney just doesn't have that appeal if he doesn't do well.

I can't help that feel Rooney has been woefully mismanaged ever since he joined us. Probably that combined with a bad attitude has meant that he's never developed into the player he could have been. Same with quite a few players. SAF has been good at managing the older players in his later years, but woeful at developing younger ones. (Maybe Ronaldo is an exception, but I suspect he'd have developed anywhere given playing time at a high level and a manager that expected hard word)

Been pretty impressed with Smalling at CB lately, one of the few dullish bright spots of our season.

Latest