The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sagna would be on a free btw, probs would have to pay him 100k tho. lols if you take him tho
Original post by Aky786UK
I think City will pip us for Sagna by offering more money tbh. I agree with your general point but in this regard, i.e the RB slot - Sagna deal with us might not be that bad. Rafael, hopefully, can refresh himself and come back to the potential that he has and might play better with the competition. I don't really see why City need him as they've got Zabaleta but they probably jumping on the RB to LB conversion as seen with Azpilicueta/Flanagan.

Sagna can play anywhere across the backline. He's filled in at CB for Arsenal on several occasions, and I believe he can play at LB too. Maybe they'll go something like Zabaleta Mangala Kompany Sagna (with Demichelis, Nastastic, Clichy as backup).
Reply 1782
Original post by NathanW18
Agreed. We have quite a few older players already. I'm wary of us letting them all leave at once, but I don't think we should be buying other 30 year olds to replace them. If we're going to let them go, just replace them with younger players. Hopefully the older guys that stay can help to balance the ship.

Even though Rafael had a bad year, I think he should be given another season. He was great last year. If his performances stay like they have been, it would make sense looking for an alternative.

Maybe I'm just a fanboy of Rafael, but I think he will step up. He has the ability. He just needs to mature.

Yeah agree. I don't really see the point in buying older players for 'experience'- we have people like Rooney, Carrick, Evans etc. who have been around long enough to know the United way. Older players will still have to adapt to this- and by the time they do their careers could be in their twilight years anyway. We should buy younger players who have time on their side- even if they need a bedding in season they should be able to provide is with 4 or 5 years after that at least.

I like Rafael as well. He's a bit hotheaded but a firm manager who can discipline but also put a shoulder around him and boost his confidence will really see him excel I feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mark Ogden, James Ducker and Tiffany Sweeney (from MUTV) all in Amsterdam this even. If Van Gaal isn't announced tomorrow I will be extremely surprised.

Looking forward to getting the announcement over so the fans and club can focus on some quality signings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Old_Simon
This is live on MUTV. Our new manager. That is "so what".

Nope. I still don't understand what the problem is.
Original post by hayles101
Mark Ogden, James Ducker and Tiffany Sweeney (from MUTV) all in Amsterdam this even. If Van Gaal isn't announced tomorrow I will be extremely surprised.

Looking forward to getting the announcement over so the fans and club can focus on some quality signings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They said it'll be delayed until next week so in that case I think it's Monday 19th that it'll be announced.
Just read our season review on SkySports and we made 999 crosses this season. If only we made one more cross to make it 1000... :lol:
Reply 1787
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Just read our season review on SkySports and we made 999 crosses this season. If only we made one more cross to make it 1000... :lol:

And ten of them found a body part.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't help but feel Ed Woodward is incredibly incompetent. How on earth can it take so long. They've been talking for so long now, surely every detail right down to what Phil Jones will have for breakfast has been agreed. We've wasted a week, and now Barcelona are looking for a new manager (delighted Athletico won the league). Get it done Red Ed.

Liking the continuous stories coming out about transfers. The club has got to think big, no reason why Kroos and 2 Dortmund players can't arrive. If we only get Shaw and Carvalho we'll be 7th again, BIG things need to happen this Summer. Not Cavani, he is a big game flop, was **** against Chelsea.

Getting impatient Ed. Get it done.
I've noticed Man Utd fans don’t even talk about the 2 CL trophies they won under Ferguson as much as Liverpool do with that one in 2005
Original post by Kruz
I've noticed Man Utd fans don’t even talk about the 2 CL trophies they won under Ferguson as much as Liverpool do with that one in 2005

cause we won lots of other trophies too mate, we don't have to cling desperately to just one trophy that we won because there was consistent success not a one off. :wink:
Original post by SciFiRory
cause we won lots of other trophies too mate, we don't have to cling desperately to just one trophy that we won because there was consistent success not a one off. :wink:

Yeah that wasn't a mock btw, it just something I've noticed. My mates who support Man Utd hardly talk about the Champions League. But my mates who support Liverpool talk about it every week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
Yeah that wasn't a mock btw, it just something I've noticed. My mates who support Man Utd hardly talk about the Champions League. But my mates who support Liverpool talk about it every week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha, fair enough :smile: personally I think that's kind of sad really, I want my team to have future and current glory rather than having to live constantly on former glories :wink:
On Sagna I understand we have an ageing squad of course. But we can not buy top notch marquee signings in every position in one go. With Rafa being injured a lot we need a patch at right back until he comes good and to free up Smalling to go back to CB / cover for Hummels lol.
As Sagna is on a free a two year contract and half decent wages should be a good deal all round.
Plus we know the lad can live in England feeling comfortable and can play PL. I am not sure how developed Varela is yet ? I thought Sagna looked good in the Cup Final.
Original post by Kruz

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have had nothing else to talk about in all fairness. After this season, we'll be hearing the story of how they came 2nd and finished above Manchester United for years to come.
Original post by Eboracum
I can't help but feel Ed Woodward is incredibly incompetent. How on earth can it take so long. They've been talking for so long now, surely every detail right down to what Phil Jones will have for breakfast has been agreed. We've wasted a week, and now Barcelona are looking for a new manager (delighted Athletico won the league). Get it done Red Ed.

Liking the continuous stories coming out about transfers. The club has got to think big, no reason why Kroos and 2 Dortmund players can't arrive. If we only get Shaw and Carvalho we'll be 7th again, BIG things need to happen this Summer. Not Cavani, he is a big game flop, was **** against Chelsea.

Getting impatient Ed. Get it done.

Cavani has confirmed he's staying at PSG next season, and I agree we don't need him anyway.

The focus needs to be on that midfield

I was reading something the other day that LVG will install his 4-3-3 formation

With RVP through the centre and Rooney/Januzaj as wingers, then have them all interchanging.

With Mata at the front of a midfield 3 with 2 deep lying midfielders (which makes sense, Mata is very good at linking defence and attack).

Next season is going to be very interesting to say the least
Reply 1796
Original post by zKlown
Cavani has confirmed he's staying at PSG next season, and I agree we don't need him anyway.

With RVP through the centre and Rooney/Januzaj as wingers, then have them all interchanging.

With Mata at the front of a midfield 3 with 2 deep lying midfielders (which makes sense, Mata is very good at linking defence and attack).

De Gea
Rafael New CB Evans Shaw
New CM New CM
Mata
Rooney RVP Januzaj

:coma:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
De Gea
Rafael New CB Evans Shaw
New CM New CM
Mata
Rooney RVP Januzaj

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like how you included Shaw.

You that confident it's a done deal? I certainly aren't...
Original post by zKlown

So basically,
DDG
Rafael Jones New CB New LB
Carrick NewCDM
Mata
Januzaj RVP Rooney

If he can somehow get Mata, RVP and Rooney playing together then im sure we'll be back next season. Hopefully we get that world class CM/CDM that we desperately need. Then bring in a world class CB and a good young LB and we'll be set for next season I hope. Also, I hope LVG gives Varela, Lingard, Wilson, Keane, Pereira and Zaha some playing time next season in the Carling Cup and FA Cup.
Original post by FKLW
De Gea
Rafael New CB Evans Shaw
New CM New CM
Mata
Rooney RVP Januzaj

Posted from TSR Mobile

Easy xD, we haven't signed Luke Shaw yet :lol:

Latest