The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Apologetics Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Yawn
I am probably a little more mature as well

An understatement if there ever was one...
Reply 181
what do you mean? I thought you were coming to an agree to disagree scenario... What do you mean?

This is for Nathan
Reply 182
What are you talking about, 'agree to disagree'?
Reply 183
NathanL
An understatement if there ever was one...

Thanks, Nathan. :smile:
Reply 184
were you being sarcastic? in your message

(stay out of this Yawn)
Reply 185
Aslan

(stay out of this Yawn)

lol - how can I argue with the 'king of the jungle'? :wink:
Reply 186
Heh heh... you heard him, Yawn, we're-a-scrappin', you don't want to get hurt! :rolleyes:

No I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

I was just there though. Rightfully so. This ain't a boxing match.
Reply 187
Nathan so do you not like me because of my views?
Reply 188
I don't know you Aslan, this is a student forum. But I would never dislike you because you were an Atheist, no - I've never said that nor insinuated that. As I said above,

I respect you as a person, I appreciate that you bring to this table of debate many experiences and opinions that I may not share, and as such may or may not have the potential to be 'blessed' by. I fundamentally disagree with you, and would happily engage you in debate around the topic, but nevertheless your viewpoint is valid to be heard.

What more do we want me to say? I disagree with you because I disagree with you, you get neg repped because of your awful debate conduct.

But I still respect you as a person and respect your right to say what you do.

I get a disturbing feeling however, and I hope I'm wrong, that you want confrontation, that you want a Christian to dislike you, that you want a Christian to be abusive, because somehow it would validate all this vitriol and abuse and intolerance.

Well, if this is true, then you can keep looking. Because in this society, and in this thread, you're going to be told when we think you're wrong, and neg repped when you need disciplining, but you're going to be loved and respected regardless.

Nathan :smile:
Reply 189
thank you :smile:
Reply 190
Ah, although I've never posted here, I feel the urge to now that Nathan has accepted my application after God knows how many years! :p:
lol, I've just read through the whole thread! :king1:
I wouldn't know where to begin to start in answering all the posts that jumped out, but I found this issue interesting:

Agent Smith

So it's His "fully Man" side coming out? But He wasn't some kind of Jekyll/Hyde monstrosity; even His humanity was perfect humanity, including strength and obedience God, but this event seems to me to jar with that, however brief His wavering may have been.

The Gethsemane thing and the question about Jesus' humanity. I just wanted to add that we sometimes forget how 'human' God can be sometimes. I don't mean he's not holy and perfect at all! What I mean is that He displays characteristics that can often surprise our notions of who he is. The OT talks about God's relationship to Israel, who I think of as 'the church' and also 'the bride' of Christ. In describing God's relationship to Israel we can see Him passionately in love with it. We can see him feeling betrayed and anguished at the rejection and betrayal by Israel. God also gets really angered sometimes. In my own experience of him, and in that of other christians I know, I've found God to have a big sense of humour. So for me, in looking at areas of scripture that describe Jesus, and show him struggling with some or other human experience.. well I don't see that as all that different to what God struggles with. Why is God also subject to experiencing some human difficulties? Well he chose to love us. And we sin. And because we sin we inflict pain on us that he could not detach himself from if he was to love us completely. Jesus also struggled with human issues because he chose to live out a humanity in order to save us because he loved us that much. So I don't see why his struggling with seemingly human issues in anyway counteracts his divinity or holiness!

Oh.. and hi everybody! :hello:
^Yeah I agree with you. We were made in the image of God so God is more 'human' than we sometimes think (but in a good way :smile:).
Reply 193
So essentially, rather than 'God is more like us than we think', it could be better to re-phrase it to "We are more like God than we think"

And I completely know what you mean about the 'humour'. Although that is one of those things that you just have to experience for yourself . . .
Sir Esh
And I completely know what you mean about the 'humour'. Although that is one of those things that you just have to experience for yourself . . .

Yes, I'd be hard pushed if somebody asked me to 'prove it' :rolleyes:
Sir Esh
So essentially, rather than 'God is more like us than we think', it could be better to re-phrase it to "We are more like God than we think"

Ah yes :redface:.
Reply 196
For fellow practicing Christians:

Which Gospel reading did you study today, this third Sunday of Advent?
Reply 197
Luke 2, the angelic appearence to the shepherds... mind you, I did attend a heathen baptist church :rolleyes: :biggrin:

And yourself?
Reply 198
NathanL
Luke 2, the angelic appearence to the shepherds... mind you, I did attend a heathen baptist church :rolleyes: :biggrin:

And yourself?

Ah, we have Luke 2:1-14 at our Midnight Mass of the Nativity.

As you are aware, Howie's Gospel reading in his church is to be taken from Matthew 11:1-10 and since my Church is minorly different, I was prompted to ask other Christians which readings they would be studying.

The Catholic Church's Liturgical Year runs in 3-year cycles and this year is currently Cycle C; consequently the Gospel was taken from Luke 3:10-18 covering John the Baptist's instructions to share food and clothing with those who had none, and to tax collectors - to exact no more tax that their rate and to soldiers; no intimidation, nor extortion.

He also made it clear that someone was coming whose sandal he was not fit to undo. I'm sure you know the rest. :smile:

Howie's Anglican community's reading is my Church's first year cycle Gospel, ie Cycle A reading.

I don't know how structured your Church is over such things - do you follow Liturgical sequences?
Mine doesn't. I make up my own 'liturgical sequences' as a response to what God is saying to me individually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending