The Student Room Group

Barbary slave trade. European slaves, Muslim Masters

How many of you have heard of the Barbary slave trade?Barbary slave trade refers to the slave markets that flourished on the Barbary Coast, or modern-day Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and western Libya, between the 16th and 19th centuries.Robert Davis, professor of history at Ohio State University argues that around 1 to 1.25 million Europeans slaves were captured by Barbary pirates and sold as slaves in North Africa and Ottoman Empire between the 16th and 19th centuriesEnslavement was a very real possibility for anyone who travelled in the Mediterranean, or who lived along the shores in places like Italy, France, Spain and Portugal, and even as far north as England and Iceland.Europeans sometimes attempted to buy their people out of slavery, but no real system emerged before around 1640. Then the attempts became more systematic and were sometimes state subsidised, as in Spain and France. Almost all the actual work, however - from collecting the funds, to voyaging to Barbary, to negotiating with the slave owners there - was carried out by clergy, mostly members of the Trinitarian or Mercedarian orders.Parish churches too, all over Spain and Italy, kept locked collection boxes marked 'for the poor slaves', with clerics constantly reminded their wealthier parishioners to include ransoming societies in their wills; slave-redeeming confraternities also sprouted in hundreds of cities and villages. Ransoming slaves was promoted as being one of the best of the charitable works a Catholic could perform, since slaves were ideal victims: 'Their [only] fault, their crime, is recognising Jesus Christ as the most divine Saviour... and of professing Him as the True Faith.' By the 1700s, the ransoming orders had significantly reduced slave populations in Barbary, eventually even inflating slave prices, as more cash chased fewer captives.
Interesting history, but what point are you making?
I have.
The trade of white people by these people never really stopped. Today, it is mainly Eastern European women who and tricked or kidnapped and sold into sex slavery in the Middle East.

Today, the trade appears to be run out of Israel although this is only because human rights organisations are highlighting the issue. Who knows what is going on in other countries.

http://thebrandeishoot.com/articles/10722
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by imtelling
The trade of white people by these people never really stopped. Today, it is mainly Eastern European women who and tricked or kidnapped and sold into sex slavery in the Middle East.

It's happening in Britain as well you know
Original post by GPODT
It's happening in Britain as well you know

Yes, i agree. Whats scary is that the authorities deliberately cover it up as was proven with the Charlene Downes case.

Justice for Charlene Downes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Charlene_Downes
White women were seen as most desirable even in the Ottomon empire sex industry the lighter skinned girls sold for more.I've heard Israel tricks a lot of eastern European girls into slavery too.
Reply 7
Original post by imtelling
Yes, i agree. Whats scary is that the authorities deliberately cover it up as was proven with the Charlene Downes case.

Justice for Charlene Downes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Charlene_Downes

I was referring to the sex trafficking of Eastern European women.
er..yes?

if you're going to say "this was as bad as the trans-Atlantic trade!", I agree it was as barbaric.

But then the effects of the Barbary trade are not as big...no racism, Jim Crow in the USA, demands for reparations, and other small stuff like that...
Reply 9
Original post by TruthAHateCrime
How many of you have heard of the Barbary slave trade?Barbary slave trade refers to the slave markets that flourished on the Barbary Coast, or modern-day Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and western Libya, between the 16th and 19th centuries.Robert Davis, professor of history at Ohio State University argues that around 1 to 1.25 million Europeans slaves were captured by Barbary pirates and sold as slaves in North Africa and Ottoman Empire between the 16th and 19th centuriesEnslavement was a very real possibility for anyone who travelled in the Mediterranean, or who lived along the shores in places like Italy, France, Spain and Portugal, and even as far north as England and Iceland.Europeans sometimes attempted to buy their people out of slavery, but no real system emerged before around 1640. Then the attempts became more systematic and were sometimes state subsidised, as in Spain and France. Almost all the actual work, however - from collecting the funds, to voyaging to Barbary, to negotiating with the slave owners there - was carried out by clergy, mostly members of the Trinitarian or Mercedarian orders.Parish churches too, all over Spain and Italy, kept locked collection boxes marked 'for the poor slaves', with clerics constantly reminded their wealthier parishioners to include ransoming societies in their wills; slave-redeeming confraternities also sprouted in hundreds of cities and villages. Ransoming slaves was promoted as being one of the best of the charitable works a Catholic could perform, since slaves were ideal victims: 'Their [only] fault, their crime, is recognising Jesus Christ as the most divine Saviour... and of professing Him as the True Faith.' By the 1700s, the ransoming orders had significantly reduced slave populations in Barbary, eventually even inflating slave prices, as more cash chased fewer captives.

I only heard about this a year or so ago reading Peter Frost's anthropology blog. Frost noted:

Europe used to export slaves to the non-European world. Such a statement would astonish most people today, even among the university-educated. Surely, those slaves were few in number, certainly fewer than the African slaves taken across the Atlantic. And surely all of that happened long before the Atlantic slave trade.

Well, no and no. The numbers were huge. At the height of that trade, over 10,000 Eastern Europeans were enslaved each year between 1500 and 1650 for export to North Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia a total of 1.5 million. By comparison, the Americas received fewer than 300,000 African slaves before 1600 and another 1.5 million between 1600 and 1700 (Fisher, 1972; Kolodziejczyk, 2006). Western Europeans were likewise enslaved and taken abroad, mainly to North Africa. How many? More than 1 million between 1530 and 1780 (Davis, 2004).
Reply 10
Yes I have heard of it but what is the point you're trying to make?
Reply 11
A gang of Barbary pirates/slavers occupied Lundy island in the Bristol channel in the 17thC for 5 or so years. (An island off the Devon coast, if you've ever holidayed in North Devon or Cornwall you may have seen it).

I only found this out after visiting the island a few years ago. I find it fascinating that this historical nugget is not more widely known, that an Engalish Island was actually occupied by Moorish Pirates!
Reply 12
It's happening today with Muslim men turning white girls into sex slaves just as they did.We need to get rid of all Muslims, **** diversity and **** multiculturalism. Let's go to Pakistan and go rape some Pakistani whores, lets see how Pakistani's react then huh?
Original post by tengentoppa
Interesting history, but what point are you making?

Isn't his point glaringly obvious. He is trying to show your "common core" educators programme. Slavery is a white problem and white people need to be guilty etc. etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
"Sufferings in Africa" provides an interesting first hand account from an american who managed to survive being taken captive as an arab slave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending