The Student Room Group

Had the Ottoman Empire been Christian rather than Muslim

how might human history have turned out differently?
Original post by ABBAForever2015
like magically Christian, forcefully Christian by foreign enemies, gradually by peace, gradually by the sultan becoming one and spreading it.

edit: I assume you mean at the start like from the get go, or is there a specific point
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by jacksmith23
like magically Christian, forcefully Christian by foreign enemies, gradually by peace, gradually by the sultan becoming one and spreading it.

edit: I assume you mean at the start like from the get go, or is there a specific point
Like the Sultan and his royal court converted in the 14th Century?...
Like the Sultan and his royal court converted in the 14th Century?...
for europe
The Ottomans would face much less opposition in the form of crusades and more. if they still took the city of Constantinople it would likely be a cause for concern but not force any actual countries to invade, if it was a catholic country then it would be a cause for celebration.
there could be more friendly relations with the Byzantines, and the Balkan region. people who were religious Christians would be willing to work towards the war effort, the Balakans and wider Christian regions could likely become in the hands of the Ottomans ( to allowing them to take vast swaths of land), with Vienna, even Venice and other cities being taken.
there could be a chance of a greater Ottoman Empire in my view. depending on the type of Christianity it would affect how people viewed such an area. russia would be less of a threat. Columbus journey would also be affected as the fall of Constantinople was a small factor in his voyage. the idea of slavery in the form of the janissaries could be reversed. further on in things like the Napoleonic war, it would be interesting to see where it would go but no clue.

for the Muslims/ middle east
opposition from the Muslims such as the mamluks and the wider area, would likely cause a lot of revolts and instability which could end the empire or have this idea not work. the sultans converting would likely become no more henceforth.
turkey and a lot of the areas that are Islamic would be no more, and the history of Islam would be in its dark ages or shift from the Middle East to areas such as Persia and India.
crusades would likely happen and areas such as Jerusalem, Antioch and Egypt would be in play. this would likely cause fear to the Muslims and perhaps unite due to the fear of Ottomans taking the symbolic city of Mecca. which would hence create a new empire.
ottomans would likely lose a lot of land that they would have had in the middle east and north Africa.
holy Christian cities could be taken back as the sheer strength used to repulse the Ottomans would be focused in the region.

basically, in my view a trade-off would occur, where the Ottomans would lose lands in the middle east, and Africa but gain more in Europe. so it would be perceived as more European and have a similar culture to perhaps the Balkan region.
but generally, such a thing wouldn't happen, as a lot of backstabbing would occur as seen in regular Ottoman history so the thing wouldn't occur in the most dominant view for me.

for world history, this could have effects on the wider European region and even the new world. in a best case ottoman scenario
(edited 2 months ago)
Well after the Alhambra decree and the expulsion of the Jews from Spain, they wouldn't have had anywhere to go. Which is significant.

In any event what is the purpose of the question?
Original post by jacksmith23
for europe
The Ottomans would face much less opposition in the form of crusades and more. if they still took the city of Constantinople it would likely be a cause for concern but not force any actual countries to invade, if it was a catholic country then it would be a cause for celebration.
there could be more friendly relations with the Byzantines, and the Balkan region. people who were religious Christians would be willing to work towards the war effort, the Balakans and wider Christian regions could likely become in the hands of the Ottomans ( to allowing them to take vast swaths of land), with Vienna, even Venice and other cities being taken.
there could be a chance of a greater Ottoman Empire in my view. depending on the type of Christianity it would affect how people viewed such an area. russia would be less of a threat. Columbus journey would also be affected as the fall of Constantinople was a small factor in his voyage. the idea of slavery in the form of the janissaries could be reversed. further on in things like the Napoleonic war, it would be interesting to see where it would go but no clue.

for the Muslims/ middle east
opposition from the Muslims such as the mamluks and the wider area, would likely cause a lot of revolts and instability which could end the empire or have this idea not work. the sultans converting would likely become no more henceforth.
turkey and a lot of the areas that are Islamic would be no more, and the history of Islam would be in its dark ages or shift from the Middle East to areas such as Persia and India.
crusades would likely happen and areas such as Jerusalem, Antioch and Egypt would be in play. this would likely cause fear to the Muslims and perhaps unite due to the fear of Ottomans taking the symbolic city of Mecca. which would hence create a new empire.
ottomans would likely lose a lot of land that they would have had in the middle east and north Africa.
holy Christian cities could be taken back as the sheer strength used to repulse the Ottomans would be focused in the region.

basically, in my view a trade-off would occur, where the Ottomans would lose lands in the middle east, and Africa but gain more in Europe. so it would be perceived as more European and have a similar culture to perhaps the Balkan region.
but generally, such a thing wouldn't happen, as a lot of backstabbing would occur as seen in regular Ottoman history so the thing wouldn't occur in the most dominant view for me.

for world history, this could have effects on the wider European region and even the new world. in a best case ottoman scenario
I love your detailed analysis...May I know if you are someone of history background?
I love your detailed analysis...May I know if you are someone of history background?
maybe, maybe not. just some random guy on the internet. there are a lot of factors to account for hypotheticals but hey I gave an idea.

No difference. Before the Ottoman Empire changed the religion to Islam, Christianity was the official religion in the Byzantine Empire and the mankind did not live in peace at all. On the contrary: wars were led in the name of god (just think of the crusades).
Had the Ottomans been Christians, nobody would have any problem at all in calling out the Armenian Holocaust.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending