The Student Room Group

OCR MEI Mechanics 2 (M2) 19th May 2014

So, just over a week until this disaster of an exam paper rears it's ugly (yet uniform, rigid and smooth) head.

How are we thinking? Easier than the two last year? Is some beast light framework going to collapse on you in the exam?

Let it be known if you'll face this in two mondays time! Without january exams, will this be your first or second time?

Oh, and don't, for the love of god forget that a tonne is 1000kg. :mad:
I know I have...

Please keep generic mechanics questions over here!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Trust me **** my life !!
Reply 3
Yes, I am doing it for the first time next Monday. My first exam and it's the one I find most difficult! Does anyone know of any good last-minute revision materials that I can find online? Although I find doing questions the best way to learn...
I'm doing it first time this year too, seems to be going pretty well, past papers are pretty good, occasionally slipping up on the odd thing, but tbh my biggest problem was learning what they actually want, like when you're doing moments they like you to actually state that you're doing clockwise/anticlockwise moments about a point, then create an equation equal to zero and stuff... skipping steps is so much easier :smile:
Reply 5
The problem with M2, is that the difficulty of the questions make up for the lack of content xD
Reply 6
I can do everything, I just flop when I read a question wrong >.<
Reply 7
Or omit the reading altogether xD
I think the January 2012 and January 2013 papers were by far the hardest so far, just hoping ours isn't something like that! I still think M2 will be easier than FP2 though.
im having a breakdown about m2.. its going to be the difference between an a and an a* and warwick or york. i might just throw myself in front of a bus :'( ill be lucky with a c the way mocks are going :'(
in exam questions, when finding a speed or the coeffeicient of restitution using NEL, why is e negative? an example is in June 2009, 1 a) iv) please help!
Original post by mathematigeek
in exam questions, when finding a speed or the coeffeicient of restitution using NEL, why is e negative? an example is in June 2009, 1 a) iv) please help!

Hey the reason this happens, is during their calculations, is because on the top half of the fraction, they subtract the greater velocity from the lower velocity, then on the bottom half of the fraction, they keep the velocities the same way around and consider direction with a -. Hence the denominator will have a lower velocity subtract a larger velocity, hence the denominator is negative, and the numerator is positive, as you cannot have a negative coefficient of restitution, they have to multiply it by -1 to keep it positive, sorry it's a little annoying to explain, but did that make sense?
Original post by Bounce00100
Hey the reason this happens, is during their calculations, is because on the top half of the fraction, they subtract the greater velocity from the lower velocity, then on the bottom half of the fraction, they keep the velocities the same way around and consider direction with a -. Hence the denominator will have a lower velocity subtract a larger velocity, hence the denominator is negative, and the numerator is positive, as you cannot have a negative coefficient of restitution, they have to multiply it by -1 to keep it positive, sorry it's a little annoying to explain, but did that make sense?

You, my friend, have just gained me a few marks I would have lost. Thank you so much! Is this always the case and can I be a pain and ask you a few more questions? I'm terrified about this exam :'(
Does anyone have the june 2013 paper? If you do please upload :colondollar:
Original post by madrevision
Does anyone have the june 2013 paper? If you do please upload :colondollar:

I will upload it tonight. It was a God awful paper. Only 50 for an a but it was horrible. Did it for a mock and got 38 (c) when I average 55-60 on other papers :')
Original post by mathematigeek
I will upload it tonight. It was a God awful paper. Only 50 for an a but it was horrible. Did it for a mock and got 38 (c) when I average 55-60 on other papers :')

Thank you so much :biggrin:. I have a feeling this year's paper might just be worse :s-smilie: hopefully it won't be
Original post by madrevision
Thank you so much :biggrin:. I have a feeling this year's paper might just be worse :s-smilie: hopefully it won't be

By the sounds of it, no one is particularly confident :/ I'm hoping for a paper similar to June 08 or Jan 10. Difficult enough that they're interesting, but easy enough that a high grade is accessible :smile: if not, really low grade boundaries will be my only hope :')
How does everyone feel about doing an unofficial mark scheme and discussing the exam afterwards?
Reply 18
I'm dreading this exam on Monday. I think I know it and when I mark the past papers it's a rubbish grade. If anybody can help me with work energy principle I will be so grateful. I just do not get it.
Original post by Oony
I'm dreading this exam on Monday. I think I know it and when I mark the past papers it's a rubbish grade. If anybody can help me with work energy principle I will be so grateful. I just do not get it.

I Don't get that either :'( or sliding and toppling stuff :'(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending