The Student Room Group

AS History Tsarist Russia May' 14 Exam Predictions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZeniB
Here are some questions I am really stuck on, can anyone help? :smile:

Explain why serfdom was important in the context of Russian society before 1861.
Explain why the Tsar was able to survive the 1905 revolution intact?
Explain why Nicolas II’s regime survived in Russia between October 1905 and the first meeting of the Duma in 1906.
Explain why Stolypin altered the electoral franchise before summoning the Third Duma.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Explain why Stolypin altered the electoral franchise before summoning the Third Duma.
1- the duma wanted too much, they were too radical- parties like the trudoviks represented peasants, by reducing the peasant vote their numbers would reduce
2- the second duma did not agree with stolypins reforms-he was investing in kulaks, the richer peasants. by the 3rd duma his reforms were agreed
3-the first and second duma contributed to unstable government-many ministers did not want it-for example witte and goremykin. stolypin had to protect the autocracy.
Original post by Alltimesarah
Feel free to add/correct :smile:

Tsar reactionary policies to suppress opposition

Alexander II 1855 - 1881

Okrana
1866- tax raising
1865 - book and press regulations
1880's - peasants lost right to graze land
1874 - 1,600 populists arrested
1862 - Poland repression
Reforms in general were used as an attempt to keep oppossition satisfied in the hope it would suppress their activity and keep them loyal
Summary: Not much opposition as most of the country were peasants and very loyal to the tsar, only small middle educated class, populism failed

Alexander III 1881 - 1894

Compared to Alexander II very reactionary
"Autocracy, Orthodoxy and Nationality"
1881 - encouraged Jewish pogroms
1889 - land captains
1887 - Lenin's brother executed
Statue of the state-censorship of education in particular

Summary: not a lot of opposition as Alexander was very reactionary, more focused on industrial improvements, growing working class.

Nicholas II 1894 - 1917

1905 - bloody Sunday, killed 2,000
1906 - Fundamental laws
1912 - Lena Goldfields massacre, 500 dead
Okhrana
1907 - electoral laws (Article 87)
Black hundreds
"Stolypin necktie"

Summary: Received most opposition, opposition groups became more organised with clear goals (blosheviks and revolution), but still kept Russia stable as 1913- 300 years of Romanov rule celebrated with genuine enthusiasm. 1914 - start of the war greeted with patriotism. But ended the Romanov regime.

:smile:
Is it possible if someone can help me with an essay plan with information or previous essay on " to what extent was the impact of the first world war explain the outbreak of two revolutions in Russia in 1917?

Thank you !!
I think you missed a chunk of that question out
are you referring to me ? ( that is the exact question)
But i think i know where your coming from

Intro
-First world war was a key issue, brought social(over losses in the war), economical(high inflation) and political(tsarina/rasputin) problems to Russia
-However, not primary reason for outbreaks in 1917. Tsar involvement and army refusal was more important for revolution

1st Par(For)
-Russia losing many troops in war, inflicted damage amongst masses who did not fully understand commitment in war. Led to mutinies, strikes, unrest
-Russia experiencing high inflation because of war which made goods expensive and unaffordable, widespread famine. Food was already in shortage, made situation much worse

2nd Par(For)
-Russia was left in the hands of Tsarina and Rasputin as Tsar was busy leading war. Tsarina was German-born and Rasputin was unpopular peasant. Both seen as dissolving Russia while Tsar was busy leading the war. Tsarina accused of being on the germans side.

3rd Par(Against)
-It was not involvement in war that sparked revolution in 1917, rather the Tsars poor leadership in war.
-Tsar thought if he led Russia to victory he would gain more loyalty and patriotism, dissolving chances of a revolution
-Tsar did not listen to Generals advice
-Tsar led hundreds to their death/many battles lost
-Ruined "little father" image/made him look like a bad leader, not worthy of ruling Russia
-Pessimists agree revolution would have happened even if war did not happen, war simply delayed revolution

4th Par(Against)
-Army abandoned the Tsar
-Widespread mutinies due to war
-No one left to control the masses in Russia made revolution more likley
-Revolutionists let loose in Russia and troops joined in

Conclusion
-Army abandoned, this was more important than war itself. Oppossition groups were more free to spread revolutionary ideas
-Pessimists agree revolution would have happened even if war did not happen, war simply delayed revolution
-The Tsars bad leadership sped up revolution process as less felt loyal to him and were more inclined to find support in oppossition groups

Any good?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by hamzahdsi
But i think i know where your coming from

Intro
-First world war was a key issue, brought social(over losses in the war), economical(high inflation) and political(tsarina/rasputin) problems to Russia
-However, not primary reason for outbreaks in 1917. Tsar involvement and army refusal was more important for revolution

1st Par(For)
-Russia losing many troops in war, inflicted damage amongst masses who did not fully understand commitment in war. Led to mutinies, strikes, unrest
-Russia experiencing high inflation because of war which made goods expensive and unaffordable, widespread famine. Food was already in shortage, made situation much worse

2nd Par(For)
-Russia was left in the hands of Tsarina and Rasputin as Tsar was busy leading war. Tsarina was German-born and Rasputin was unpopular peasant. Both seen as dissolving Russia while Tsar was busy leading the war. Tsarina accused of being on the germans side.

3rd Par(Against)
-It was not involvement in war that sparked revolution in 1917, rather the Tsars poor leadership in war.
-Tsar thought if he led Russia to victory he would gain more loyalty and patriotism, dissolving chances of a revolution
-Tsar did not listen to Generals advice
-Tsar led hundreds to their death/many battles lost
-Ruined "little father" image/made him look like a bad leader, not worthy of ruling Russia

4th Par(Against)
-Army abandoned the Tsar
-Widespread mutinies due to war
-No one left to control the masses in Russia made revolution more likley
-Revolutionists let loose in Russia and troops joined in

Conclusion
-Army abandoned, this was more important than war itself. Oppossition groups were more free to spread revolutionary ideas
-The Tsars bad leadership sped up revolution process as less felt loyal to him and were more inclined to find support in oppossition groups

Any good?

Wouldn't mutinies and the fact that the army abandoned the Tsar come under a direct impact of the war-
-Heavy defeats and high casualty and death rates at the front line led to a loss of morale, and as much of the army towards the end consisted of conscripts, it led to mutinies as peasants and conscripts didn't want to lose their life.

Instead, I would do a paragraph about how the failure of the Tsar to introduce land reforms and improve the conditions of the working classes, as well as the failure of industrialisation helped create masses of starving russians and social unrest. I would argue that the war simply amplified the conditions and situation that was already present, leading to intense strikes in Petrograd, ultimately leading to the Tsar's abdication. The 2nd revolution also came about because the Provisional Government didn't help the peasants or working classes as much (they were only temporary). This had the same affect.

In the conclusion, I would also probably give credit to the Bolsheviks, who knew how to exploit the failures of the Tsar and the Provisional government in order to gain enough support for an armed revolution in October.
Reply 47
Are you lot talking about the Edexcel paper or no?
Or is anyone here doing that paper and is going to try to predict the question?
Reply 48
Original post by Kennedy7697
Are you lot talking about the Edexcel paper or no?
Or is anyone here doing that paper and is going to try to predict the question?

We're talking about the AQA paper, but if you're doing Edexcel Stalin's Russia, this thread has some predictions
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2643880&page=3

If you're doing Russia in Revolution, then I'm guessing there will probably be similar to the AQA questions- something about Provisional Government or reforms. I'm sorry I can't be of much help :dontknow:
Thank you all for that essay plan, you're correct; i am doing the edexcel paper on Wednesday and not AQA.
Original post by Sabzi97
Wouldn't mutinies and the fact that the army abandoned the Tsar come under a direct impact of the war-
-Heavy defeats and high casualty and death rates at the front line led to a loss of morale, and as much of the army towards the end consisted of conscripts, it led to mutinies as peasants and conscripts didn't want to lose their life.

I suppose so but mutinies took place well before the 1914 too, so i thought it could be possible it might have been down to another factor such as the political awareness that was gained through access to earlier educational reforms and illegal literature/spread of ideas
Reply 51
Just a little confidence booster...
Last year:
To get a B you needed 42/72 (70 UMS)
To get an A you needed 49/72 raw marks (80 UMS), 57/72 for 90 UMS and 65/72 for 100 UMS
I doubt the grading system will vary too much this year :smile:
There doesnt seem to be a thread for Edexcel Tsarist Russia :frown: only Stalin's Russia...
Reply 53
Original post by Sabzi97
We're talking about the AQA paper, but if you're doing Edexcel Stalin's Russia, this thread has some predictions
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2643880&page=3

If you're doing Russia in Revolution, then I'm guessing there will probably be similar to the AQA questions- something about Provisional Government or reforms. I'm sorry I can't be of much help :dontknow:

Thank you, you have been a great help as I have yet to really revise. But fortuneately i'm going for a D overall anyway so I should be okay :smile:
Can someone please help with whether Bunge, Vyshnegradsky and Witte were successful in transforming Russia's economy? Gracias :smile:
Original post by ZeniB
Can someone please help with whether Bunge, Vyshnegradsky and Witte were successful in transforming Russia's economy? Gracias :smile:

Witte
+Gold standard, increased strength of rouble, backed up by gold reserves, more foreign investment. Modernised as more heavy industry invested in thanks to foreign investment
+Trans Siberian railway, transformed economy as trade was made more easier
+High tarrifs protected Russian industry
-Neglected light industry(consumer goods)
-Relied heavily on foreign investment

Vyshnegradsky
+High tariffs protected Russia industry
+Production of grain very high, competetiveness in trade increased
+Increase in iron, steel investment, increased trade
-Pressure to produce grain caused famine

Cant think of much to say about Bunge
Reply 56
Yeah Bunge was kind of a failure:
He taxed the peasants too much and although he had the right idea there was no growth or budget surplus during his years. It's why Alexander III dismissed him in 1887
It was Vyshnegradsky and Witte who went with the idea of state capitalism-
Vyshnegradsky laid the conditions for industrial growth while Witte developed a model that could be considered sustainable.
What time period would you say had the most economic growth?
Original post by Alltimesarah
What time period would you say had the most economic growth?

Definitely Witte thanks to the foreign investment, railways production and the fact russian industry was protected by high tariffs
Original post by hamzahdsi
Definitely Witte thanks to the foreign investment, railways production and the fact russian industry was protected by high tariffs

That's true for industrialisation, for agricultural I was thinking Stolypin (the most obvious choice I know)

Quick Reply

Latest