The Student Room Group

Which is better to study, A level classics or History????

Hi,
I’m currently studying A-level classics but I’m conflicted.
I haven’t done classics in years but do enjoy it. I have dyslexia which means that I get extra time in exams as I struggle with slow processing. I am also doing this privately so to apply for 50% is going to be a struggle.
I did history GCSE, and found it relatively easy (my college does Tsarist and communist Russia) I think I would enjoy is as I have read philosophy from that time, it may also be easier to apply for extra time as the college would do it for me.
Looking at the exam papers history is 2x 25 marks and a 30 mark whereas classics is 2x 10 mark and 20 mark, another 10 mark and 30 mark.
Basically it seems like I have to do more for the classics exam- its 2hr 20 for all that and the history is 2hr 30.
As far as I remember history has course work which would benefit me.
I want to do medicine so need A/A*
Obviously need to talk to my college but would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Well the subject itself makes no difference as far as medicine is concerned, so do whichever you enjoy more and are confident you will get a good grade in.
definitely A-level history - it is a very very respectable A-level, it's definitely hard but so many universities will love the fact that you did it - getting a good grade shows that you are good in terms of your writing skills, which is essential when applying for medicine. I am in year 13 doing A-level history, and I absolutely love it. If you do choose it, make sure to do loads of practice essays - they will help you so much during exam season
Thanks for responding, I realise it may be different exam board but is there coursework and if so what dose that consist of?
Original post by ronweasley127
definitely A-level history - it is a very very respectable A-level, it's definitely hard but so many universities will love the fact that you did it - getting a good grade shows that you are good in terms of your writing skills, which is essential when applying for medicine. I am in year 13 doing A-level history, and I absolutely love it. If you do choose it, make sure to do loads of practice essays - they will help you so much during exam season
Original post by Melancholy_goose
Thanks for responding, I realise it may be different exam board but is there coursework and if so what dose that consist of?

are u doing edexcel?

Universities, especially medical schools, do not prefer history over classics and suggesting otherwise is just outright incorrect. Both subjects also develop the exact same transferable skills, the only difference is the subject matter which is immaterial in this case.
My school does AQA but would still appreciate ur input ☺️
are u doing edexcel?
Original post by Melancholy_goose
My school does AQA but would still appreciate ur input ☺️

yea so for us this is how the layout is like:
paper 1
paper 2
paper 3
coursework
the coursework can be for any paper but our school chose to do it for paper 2, and we make any question we want about that whole time period that we studied (the question has to involve debate tho so u can argue for and against)
then theres a layout u have to follow for the coursework its basically writing a whole essay - the structure for aqa and edexcel might differ tho cuz they might be looking for different things in your essay
3000-4000 words btw
we are doing it rn planning to finish in march and we're also doing paper 3 in class
we completed paper 1 and 2 in year 12

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending